Dual Spec Expectations

Maxagorn

I've read a few of the threads about a dual spec feature, but one thing I don't recall seeing addressed is the ability to change your advanced class. I'm curious if that's even on the radar or if it's been stated that it's completely out of the question.

From my perspective, being able to switch from Sentinel to Guardian would be much more useful that just swapping from one Sentinel spec to another.

It seems to me this would be a good solution to the lack of healers and tanks and would help queues pop faster / make it take less time to form a group through chat channels.

Maybe I'm totally off base here, but I just wanted to see what the community was expecting with regards to this.

I've read a few of the threads about a dual spec feature, but one thing I don't recall seeing addressed is the ability to change your advanced class. I'm curious if that's even on the radar or if it's been stated that it's completely out of the question.

From my perspective, being able to switch from Sentinel to Guardian would be much more useful that just swapping from one Sentinel spec to another.

It seems to me this would be a good solution to the lack of healers and tanks and would help queues pop faster / make it take less time to form a group through chat channels.

Maybe I'm totally off base here, but I just wanted to see what the community was expecting with regards to this.

No to advanced class changes. Something needs to be made a permanent choice. While Advanced Classes share the same base class, each AC is treated as a separate class, and cannot be changed from one to the other.

Just say no to class changes!

and this topic has been discussed to death.

Sorry, I didn't realize that. I guess I didn't dig back far enough into the older threads in the forums.

Nope, not going to happen.Not only are advanced classes your actual class (see sorcerer vs assassin), but some require completely different gear.

Ah, I didn't realize there was a preffered stat difference between advanced classes.

No to advanced class changes. Something needs to be made a permanent choice. While Advanced Classes share the same base class, each AC is treated as a separate class, and cannot be changed from one to the other.

Just say no to class changes!

You know what else was discussed to death?????

1.) Speeders: We had thread after thread after thread on the forums about speeder training and the level 25 requirement. All of the forum tough guys wanted it to stay at 25 because it was fashionable at the time. "ooooh look how hard core I am!!!!". Guess what? Yeah. you guessed it. I can get a speeder like right away now with Cartel Coins.

2.) Respec Fees: See number 1. Everyone was soooooooooo concerned about everyone else's spec. Like it really mattered. Like it's really your business what someone's spec is and how often they changed it. Guess what again? Yeah. You guessed it. They are free to subscribers. I can even buy a character perk to respec in the field lol.

3.) Sprint: See Number 1 Again: This was another one beaten to death. All of the forum bullies thought it made them sound like big bad tough guys to leave it at like 14-16. Guess what one more time.... You guessed it. You get sprint at level one now.

So yeah, lots of things are discussed to death. All of these self-proclaimed l337 d0ods... oh I'm sorry hard core gamerz may think that it's cool to try and make the game less accessible to people who work during they day. It's like it makes them feel in control in some small petty way.

In the end they are going to do what they feel is best for the game. Not what an insignificant sliver of the community says they should do. No matter how loud you cry about it, you still represent the minority view. Otherwise sprint would be at level 14-16, speeders would be at level 25 and respecs would still grow exponentially.

Nope, not going to happen.Not only are advanced classes your actual class (see sorcerer vs assassin), but some require completely different gear.

Plus, there's already enough people running around that don't know how to play their own AC....people shouldn't be able to get to end-game and then suddenly change to a different AC that they've never played through leveling. We'll get a bunch of people queue'ing up as tanks or healers because they think they'll get a group quicker even though they've never played those roles.

1.) Speeders: We had thread after thread after thread on the forums about speeder training and the level 25 requirement. All of the forum tough guys wanted it to stay at 25 because it was fashionable at the time. "ooooh look how hard core I am!!!!". Guess what? Yeah. you guessed it. I can get a speeder like right away now with Cartel Coins.

I had no issue with this change, I thought 25 was actually a bit late for it anyway, it should have been sooner from the start.

2.) Respec Fees: See number 1. Everyone was soooooooooo concerned about everyone else's spec. Like it really mattered. Like it's really your business what someone's spec is and how often they changed it. Guess what again? Yeah. You guessed it. They are free to subscribers. I can even buy a character perk to respec in the field lol.

I rarely respec'd but again, I never had an issue with people wanting to respec as often as they wished. I actually was for reducing the cost, and was ecstatic when it was free for subs, even though i rarely used it myself.

3.) Sprint: See Number 1 Again: This was another one beaten to death. All of the forum bullies thought it made them sound like big bad tough guys to leave it at like 14-16. Guess what one more time.... You guessed it. You get sprint at level one now.

Sprint should have always been available at level 1. Actually it should have been the base movement speed. Again a good change.

So yeah, lots of things are discussed to death. All of these self-proclaimed l337 d0ods... oh I'm sorry hard core gamerz may think that it's cool to try and make the game less accessible to people who work during they day. It's like it makes them feel in control in some small petty way.

In the end they are going to do what they feel is best for the game. Not what an insignificant sliver of the community says they should do. No matter how loud you cry about it, you still represent the minority view. Otherwise sprint would be at level 14-16, speeders would be at level 25 and respecs would still grow exponentially.

I wonder who upset you so much that anyone who does not agree with you must be some "tough guy" who just wants to make life miserable for everyone else?

Thank you for derailing the topic to make a poke at me, I am glad to know I have a fan.

But AC changes still should not be allowed. Has nothing to do with making "the game less accessible to people who work during they day", rather than not dumbing it down even further. Now, I am not 100% opposed to a one time advanced class change, for people who really do want to change class without having to level a new character, but I am 100% opposed to anything that will allow someone to continually swap back and forth.

Edited by jgoldsack

I agree, here.

Dual spec would be absolutely awesome, and would only enhance the game.

I think AC changes should be expensive, so folks can't do it trivially, but you should be able to do it. I love that my Knight can dual wield, but I wish he could tank. I would pay a lot of credits to be able to tank -and- DPS, so I'm more versatile for groups.

That's fine. If they are different classes, then give them different class quest lines. Oh, wait.

Edited by TirGavin
New thoughts

Plus, there's already enough people running around that don't know how to play their own AC....people shouldn't be able to get to end-game and then suddenly change to a different AC that they've never played through leveling. We'll get a bunch of people queue'ing up as tanks or healers because they think they'll get a group quicker even though they've never played those roles.

Like this doesn't already happen. healers and tanks that never healed before queue as tank and healers , and some times they don't even have field respec =)

Anyway this is waaaaaay ahead of what the game is atm.

What about they streamline the whole respec system first. Like create gear setups and save them , the same with quickslots and etc. This would be much better and would get us closer to dual spec. Then we can talk wether or not AC changes would be a bad thing. Imo it would make the game much more interesting.

http://dulfy.net/2012/11/16/swtor-f2p-future-content-interview-with-damion-schubert/

18. Will be there any faction or Advanced Class change option available for purchase in the future?

We have had serious talks recently about offering an Advanced Class change option – I think that one will likely happen eventually. Species is likely as well. Doing a faction switch is considerably more difficult for us, though, due to the various quest flags set throughout the level up process, so this isn’t on the horizon anytime soon.

So there you have it, it might happen eventually.

But just remember what "eventually" and "soon" mean when it comes to MMO development...

Totally agree! I also want AC changes...

Also talked about lots was sex and race changes, that's on its way too....

My first toon was a Sentinel, my second was a juggernaut and i much prefer the jugger.... so, I would love to change my sentinel into a guardian, and I know how to play guardian based on my experience with the jugger. I have plenty of toons, a guardian would be my 9th.... I have one of each base class, so is it a crime to ask for a AC change on one of them?

I was against sex and species changes at one point... however, it does not affect me, so let them have change, but I want what I want too. AC changes please! Make it expensive, but I would rather pay $50 then to go through another lvl to 50 in the same class, with the same story and companions.

You can even by +41 crystals now at lvl 10, where at one time, you had to be a 50 to get. (however, stat improving things really should not be in the CM IMO)...

Edited by Themanthatisi

I dont think AC changes are a good idea. Most of the ACs are VERY different from each other and essentially operate like completely different classes. If there werent the class stories in this game, the ACs would probably have just been the main classes.

Swapping between specs within the same AC is something I'd really like to see though. Sure, we have free and unlimited respecs, with the potential to do it anywhere. But I want to be able to swap between not only specs, but also have different key bindings (most importantly), different gear sets, and even different UI settings.

Asking for AC switches is akin to asking to be able to respec your WoW Paladin to a Warrior, it should not even be under discussion.

You are well warned that your choice is permanent when you select it, some things have to be for keeps, otherwise why even offer the choice in the first place?

All it does in the long run is encourage people to respec their characters to whatever the flavour of the month is at the time.

Edited by jedip_enguin

Like, this isn't a problem now?

In a game that can be (and often is) leveled solo there's no learning curve for this so called "how to play" their class. Players can and do use a variety of methods including those that involve weird gear choices, novel specs etc. This would not be any different with the ability to change AC.

Having said that, I'm not supporting or advocating the option to change AC. I'm simply pointing out that the argument that people need to level as a particular AC to 'learn' it is not reality.

Asking for AC switches is akin to asking to be able to respec your WoW Paladin to a Warrior, it should not even be under discussion.

You are well warned that your choice is permanent when you select it, some things have to be for keeps, otherwise why even offer the choice in the first place?

All it does in the long run is encourage people to respec their characters to whatever the flavour of the month is at the time.

But its ok for people to change their race and gender when they feel like it? Just curious... since its coming.

I have a Jugg, its a 50, why cant my sent be turned into a guardian? What valid argument, besides I was warned, would there be? I know how to tank now, my 50 sent sits around because I prefer to tank, already have 8 toons... Do I really have to make another "knight" just so I can tank with that class?

But its ok to be a man one day and a woman the next?

Edited by Themanthatisi

I think it's time they treat ACs as different classes in the sense that when you are in a warzone a jedi sage would have a different icon in the summary board than a jedi shadow. Also, perhaps when starting a character they give you the option at level one to choose your advanced class right away that way people won't feel like it's necessary to have an AC change.

I'm all for respecs on your trees, but the reality is advanced classes are totally different classes. It was a mistake to have two advanced classes for each basic class from the beginning and instead they should just say "this class shares a story with this other class". Advanced classes should be removed and they should all have their separate class - another upside it would show the reality that there are more than four classes to choose from because really, there are eight. However the way they set it up, it seems like four.

I think it's time they treat ACs as different classes in the sense that when you are in a warzone a jedi sage would have a different icon in the summary board than a jedi shadow. Also, perhaps when starting a character they give you the option at level one to choose your advanced class right away that way people won't feel like it's necessary to have an AC change.

I'm all for respecs on your trees, but the reality is advanced classes are totally different classes. It was a mistake to have two advanced classes for each basic class from the beginning and instead they should just say "this class shares a story with this other class". Advanced classes should be removed and they should all have their separate class - another upside it would show the reality that there are more than four classes to choose from because really, there are eight. However the way they set it up, it seems like four.

Agree. If it had been done like that from the start this would not even be a discussion.

But its ok for people to change their race and gender when they feel like it? Just curious... since its coming.

I have a Jugg, its a 50, why cant my sent be turned into a guardian? What valid argument, besides I was warned, would there be? I know how to tank now, my 50 sent sits around because I prefer to tank, already have 8 toons... Do I really have to make another "knight" just so I can tank with that class?

Cosmetic changes are far different than game mechanics.

Stop looking at Sentinels and Guardians as the same. Advanced classes are really just different classes even if they share a single tree together.

I don't really care for gender/species respec either, but as it is purely cosmetic and has precedence by being present in other games, there is no point in me raising my voice against it.

Most of the AC change clamouring seems to be based on the fact that the AC's share a story, which is a pretty thin basis to my mind.

Who needs 10 specs with the skill trees as limited as they already are? Completely redundant. I think 2-3 is fine. It allows heals and tanks to actually do competitive dps sometimes. I don't understand why this game doesn't have one, when most AAA MMO's do.

All this stuff about SWTOR being a WoW clone reminded me of how the Sith Warrior skills were almost identical to WoW's warrior and the Sith Sorcerer's skills were almost identical to WoW's elemental shaman :D Ah, the good ol' days!

I'm sure it's going to happen. It needs to. Only a certain amount of people are going to re-roll a class to experience its other AC and so to broaden the game - and people playing different roles - it'll be needed.

And I'm sure it'll cost CC to unlock so BW definitely have an incentive there!

Another thing.

Maybe as I level, I'd like to have a full healing spec in FPs but then for running missions on the planet, I'd like a DPS spec.

Maybe I'm happy to DPS or Tank - or heal on demand. If a tank or healer drops out of a FP well that's fine, I just change role.

Sure, there will always be people who are bad at playing one of their specs or who don't have the correct gear. However, I've seen people like that right now! It's an MMO - it always happens.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.