Petition - Save the Future of our Class Stories...

Chiron_Prime

I totally agree that, while I love the "larger" picture flashpoints and such It's imperative to give us our own unique stories and villains. Also I can't help feel like there's no direction going forth with regards to the plot during these interim periods of waiting for new operations. I should mention this for me, wouldn't be such a big ordeal if they didn't make group finder impossible to predict and rely on. Don't get me wrong, the game is great but I think its organization can push us to our limits with things like server problems and the lack of story development. I do give credit to Bioware for trying new things and trying to break away from the WOW paradox, but more effort needs to be made on incorporating new stories, locations, and social opportunities for players.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the NYC cantina event, it sounds like they will be relying on player feedback to see how much people want this class story content going forward. Best thing to do to help class stories at this point is play during the 12x XP event and check out the class missions in SoR and give positive feedback (assuming they are actually good)

"A: Great question. The way you choose to overcome your own personal villains is a crucial part of what defines your character, and once you’ve gotten closure on your personal story, you’re ready to be a key player in the larger conflicts that threaten the Empire and the Republic."

I think you need to read a bit closer here. Your class story ends after chapter 3. Your personal enemies are defeated and now you can concentrate on the greater task of the galactic conflict. This is what it means to have "closure." The end of your personal conflicts enabling you focus on other issues. I'm sure most of us have gone through a personal crisis. I know I have. For it to finally end and be done with allows you to relax and breathe for a while. You can take break then focus on something else, perhaps a little less stressful. This is called "closure." It doesn't mean BioWare / Electronic Arts is closing out and ending all class stories.

Edited by Darth_Krushya
spelling, grammar, more info

I think you need to read a bit closer here. Your class story ends after chapter 3. Your personal enemies are defeated and now you can concentrate on the greater task of the galactic conflict.

Sure, but each class has a distinctive theme and way of doing that. Troopers don't fight the Empire in the same way that, say, Smugglers do (if they do it at all, most of the Smuggler story has little to really do with that). Agents aren't akin to Bounty Hunters or Sith Warriors. The best thing to me about the class stories was that they fit into what each class was about, which is why things such as healing and diplomacy are central to the Consular story, where the Trooper story is mostly about kicking the door in and shooting people because that's what special forces does. The Agent story is all webs of conspiracies and betrayals and undercover espionage, yet ever since finishing that story up your value to the Empire has basically been that you can shoot straight. When everyone is doing the same thing in the same way, that distinctiveness is lost.

Heck, at the end of the Inquisitor storyline, my assassin became a dark council member. My Agent basically became the shadow broker from Mass Effect, with dirt on everyone and information on everything. Are either of these ever used again for anything ever? Nope, because faction general content doesn't allow it.

I'm honestly finding the part about 'dealing with your personal villans and becoming ready to be a key player in larger conflicts' a little werid, personally. It's not as if some of these people were just personal issues, they were nearly all tied into the conflicts between Republic and Empire. One was the Emperor for pities sake. And I don't see how that serves as an explanation as to why they can't tell their singular ongoing story from a unique direction per class. Lack of development resources or whatever, sure, but not the 'key player in larger conflicts' thing.

Sure, but each class has a distinctive theme and way of doing that. Troopers don't fight the Empire in the same way that, say, Smugglers do (if they do it at all, most of the Smuggler story has little to really do with that). Agents aren't akin to Bounty Hunters or Sith Warriors. The best thing to me about the class stories was that they fit into what each class was about, which is why things such as healing and diplomacy are central to the Consular story, where the Trooper story is mostly about kicking the door in and shooting people because that's what special forces does. The Agent story is all webs of conspiracies and betrayals and undercover espionage, yet ever since finishing that story up your value to the Empire has basically been that you can shoot straight. When everyone is doing the same thing in the same way, that distinctiveness is lost.

Heck, at the end of the Inquisitor storyline, my assassin became a dark council member. My Agent basically became the shadow broker from Mass Effect, with dirt on everyone and information on everything. Are either of these ever used again for anything ever? Nope, because faction general content doesn't allow it.

I'm honestly finding the part about 'dealing with your personal villans and becoming ready to be a key player in larger conflicts' a little werid, personally. It's not as if some of these people were just personal issues, they were nearly all tied into the conflicts between Republic and Empire. One was the Emperor for pities sake. And I don't see how that serves as an explanation as to why they can't tell their singular ongoing story from a unique direction per class. Lack of development resources or whatever, sure, but not the 'key player in larger conflicts' thing.

With great respect to you, You are taking my message out of context by quoting only part of what I said. I was trying to point out and define the meaning of "CLOSURE." I am trying to point out that I don't think Class Stories are ending. "CLOSURE" is being used to indicate that your Class Stories end at chapter 3 allowing you to finally breathe and move on (giving you CLOSURE.) Now you can give your attention to what's more important: The Galactic War.

I'm sorry if I did not make my point more clear. Peace!

Edited by Darth_Krushya

Honestly, I wouldn't even say they're actually closure for some if not most of the classes. Generally speaking, with I guess the exception of the Trooper story and possibly the Bounty Hunter depending on how you resolve it (but even then, they both involve characters disappearing into the abyss for unexplained reasons) they all seem to set up an ongoing plotline to one extent or another. The end of the Agent story in no way really represents an end of the Agent's story, even in terms of the one that was being told in the third act. For me, it ended with a very clear 'we'll be in touch soon' from several characters, none of which I ever saw again and probably never will. I wouldn't call that closure. Edited by Bleeters

• 2 weeks later...

/Signed

I usually don't play MMO's for the story, since many have to exist in this permanent state of timelessness so everyone can play the same content, and this is one of the very, very few MMOs that does that time progression thing well, and class stories are the cornerstone. I feel like I'm making a big deal in the war when I'm assigned my final target on my Bounty Hunter, or told to kill one of the most powerful Sith in the galaxy on my Warrior, or ordered to dismantle the largest conspiracy ever on my Agent. This is why I'm so freaking ecstatic for the x12 EXP boost: now I don't have to do the same quests four more times and just get right to the meat of this game without pausing for anything. This is, IMO, one of the best things Bioware has done for the game: let us play the class stories to reach the max level, and nothing else.

Without those, and without continuations of the ones we already have, there's very little to differentiate SWTOR from any other MMO. Story is what Bioware does best. It's their bread and butter. I hope they remember that they can make more personal, better stories without the discomfort of the MMO timelessness blanket over them, and I hope they listen to us here.

• 1 month later...

I might as well post this. I loved this game when I first joined back in 2011. I even quit WoW after 5 years of playing that just to join fulltime. Like most of you I was sorely disappointed with the loss of class storylines. That being said, now that Disney has taken over Star Wars I don't think I would be too sad if this somehow causes this game to end only for Disney to endorse that passing of a newer, better MMORPG of the same cloth. I am also talking of another Star Wars MMO with developed story and so on like this game used to be.

Maybe this one would take place in a more present time and since I eard money was one of the main reasons why we do not see class story anymore, maybe Disney with its monster financial backing would make this option feasible once more.

Hey I was disappointed when the Clone Wars cartoon series was abruptly ended but so far Rebels has proved to be an adequate replacement and even I was skeptical of that series. aybe Disney could pull the same magic with an MMO.

Signed.

"and once you’ve gotten closure on your personal story, you’re ready to be a key player in the larger conflicts that threaten the Empire and the Republic. Moving forward, we’re focusing on those stories – conflicts that decide the fate of the entire Galaxy and demand the attention of other living legends like yourself."

We all know this is a complete BS and Bioware never initially intended this. Bioware simply doesn't have enough resources to develop further class stories after SWTOR was deemed a failure by EA and a massive layoff. But they should continue developing class stories, now the game has gotten good amount of end game contents.

Signed.

And...

"and once you’ve gotten closure on your personal story, you’re ready to be a key player in the larger conflicts that threaten the Empire and the Republic. Moving forward, we’re focusing on those stories – conflicts that decide the fate of the entire Galaxy and demand the attention of other living legends like yourself."

We all know this is a complete BS and Bioware never initially intended this. Bioware simply doesn't have enough resources to develop further class stories after SWTOR was deemed a failure by EA and a massive layoff. But they should continue developing class stories, now the game has gotten good amount of end game contents.

Yep. Pretty much. And to be honest, some of the class stories don't feel like they have closure.

A few examples...

The Jedi Knight:

Emails in the SIth Warrior story claim the Emperor is still alive, and that the Knight only got the voice. This is also further hinted by a quest the Knight gets after the final battle. If that's true, the there definitely hasn't been closure, and the Knight still has work to do.

The Trooper:

This is admittedly player-determined, but Rakton can be still at large in the end.

The Jedi Consular:

The First Son may be defeated, but that doesn't mean the Children of the Emperor are gone. There may still be some out there.

The Sith Inquisitor:

There still has not been any congregations between the Dark Council members to discuss future actions. furthermore, I can't help but suspect that there would be Sith desiring the Inquisitor's position...

The Imperial Agent:

Admittedly also player-determined, but depending on the player's actions, the question of what happened to Jadus can still be hanging. (Heck, even the most solid situation can still be iffy. In the event he is successfully captured, is there confirmation on what happens to him?)

Signed.

The Imperial Agent:

Admittedly also player-determined, but depending on the player's actions, the question of what happened to Jadus can still be hanging. (Heck, even the most solid situation can still be iffy. In the event he is successfully captured, is there confirmation on what happens to him?)

As I stated before, Jadus's fate

IS completely unresolved in all 3 scenarios and he never dies. He either escapes, is captured or rejoins the council. They could easily have him turn up again (from the escape scenario), or turn traitor again (from the council scenario) or escape (from theimprisonment scenario).

At least Rakton

does most likely die. I certainly killed him.

As I stated before, Jadus's fate

IS completely unresolved in all 3 scenarios and he never dies. He either escapes, is captured or rejoins the council. They could easily have him turn up again (from the escape scenario), or turn traitor again (from the council scenario) or escape (from theimprisonment scenario).

At least Rakton

does most likely die. I certainly killed him.

On the matter of Jadus

I've even come up with a scenario where he could become involved again if he is captured. My idea: Darth Zhorrid, blaming her father for the fact no one likes her, decides to go into the prisons and kill him before the Dark Council makes their decision. Not only does her attempt fail miserably, but it also gives Jadus the chance to escape.

On the matter of Rakton

As I said, player determined. His three fates are either dying in the final battle, getting left in custody to rot, or.... is released in exchange for POWs. That last scenario is the main issue that leaves a major thread hanging. Those who released probably will want to know what happens to him.

On the matter of Rakton

As I said, player determined. His three fates are either dying in the final battle, getting left in custody to rot, or.... is released in exchange for POWs. That last scenario is the main issue that leaves a major thread hanging. Those who released probably will want to know what happens to him.

They can always assume Rakton was punished -- quite severely -- by the Minister of War or the Sith directly.

Not exactly an outlandish scenario truth be told.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

They can always assume Rakton was punished -- quite severely -- by the Minister of War or the Sith directly.

Not exactly an outlandish scenario truth be told.

He's a very valuable asset to the Sith. Why else would they even offer POWs to begin with? The Sith never make offers like that unless there is sufficient motive to do so. To give several POWs and then punish the guy you offered them up for would be stupid even for Sith standards. And with the pragmatic and very smart Darth Marr currently serving as the Empire's de facto leader, it seems ulikely.