BARBERSHOP Done Right

Blackavaar

This is far better than the system BW is wanting to use at the moment. Other than perhaps some tweaking with the prices, there is little that seems wrong with it.

Full support from me.

How do we know that this could be exactly what BW is making we have no idea yet. All we know is they said it would be CM this is pretty heavy with cartel coins as well so who knows.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you even look at the prices for NEW customization options?

You're ignoring more than half of the post.

:cool:

No, I am simply just referring to the Barbershop for haircuts and stuff, not the other customizations options like species change or the like.

While hair splitting over what constitutes "free" Vs. "fee" is great forum fodder.....

The announced approach appears to suggest something akin to eating the golden goose. While the approach being suggested in this thread is more along the lines of, "Goose --- we have a job for you"

I'm sure EA/BW would love to to work the shop both ways, where all players pay for access to it & THEN pay AGAIN for additional unlocks to use with it. ~ Which wouldn't just be "nickel & diming" ~ more like rough amputation of your wallet with a dull spoon.

Few players would pay the CC to unlock the barber if they understood up front that this is almost certainly what is going to happen if BW proceeds with the idea of charging subs CC for unlocking the feature. It's going to leave a bad taste in the mouths of a lot of players if they do that.

Case One:

If it costs 500cc to unlock the new barber feature & 100cc for a cosmetic change. A lot of players are just going to pass on the feature altogether. I know I would......

So player 1 buys the unlock and access to an old haircut for 600cc = 600cc to BW

Note: if access to the barber costs more than the monthly cc grant, most subs are going to recoil from it in anger, and refuse to use the feature out of sheer spite.

Case Two: ~the option suggested by this thread

If access to the shop is free and premium "haircuts" are 150cc ~ and 6 players buy a "haircut" = 900cc to BW

( a 50% increase in sales through the barbershop feature)

Note: notice the price difference of "haircuts" between case one & two... this is why case two isn't free, and why it's a better choice for BW. 150cc to unlock access to access a new cosmetic choice, isn't really enough to incite any sort of anger from subs. And it's a low enough amount to fall into the, "so cheap I don't really need to think about it category". ~ That's an ideal cartel market item. One that players will purchase on a whim, without really questioning it's value.

Which is more likely to happen?

Case One; a player spends 600 cc to make a familiar cosmetic change to their toon ~ this is a hard sell

Case Two; a player spends 150 cc to make a premium cosmetic change to their toon

If they introduce enough new styles, sales of haircuts over a given time interval could climb. But that is not going to happen if the effective cost of a cosmetic change is inflated by the cost of unlocking access to the barber. And the only thing they could do to increase the number of unlocks sold is to decrease their CC cost ~ which won't necessarily generate any increase in the usage of CC.

Totally support this. My jaw hit the floor when I heard they were going to charge cartel coins for character customizations. Bioware is thinking in dimes not dollars on this one. Do you know why I don't play cash shop driven mmos? Because I dont like the feeling of being nickle and dimed for things that should be covered by a sub.

I really enjoy the game, but please stop going the guild wars 2 route of a cash shop driven economy.

What i would like to know if there is any new tattoos, hairstyles

like blindfold options for Miralukas, or tattoos for Twileks

if its the same bland options ill be avoiding the feature like a plague

From the info we've been given so far, what they have just gives us access (via CC) to change to the same basic options we started with. Nothing new.

To use it, you should need a Barber Shop Certificate, purchased for a small amount of cartel coins (100), and rare from the cartel packs.

This certificate lets you have one use of the Barber Shop, you can do as much or as little as you like in that one use.

This certificate would also be tradeable.

That is how I think it should work.

To use it, you should need a Barber Shop Certificate, purchased for a small amount of cartel coins (100), and rare from the cartel packs.

This certificate lets you have one use of the Barber Shop, you can do as much or as little as you like in that one use.

This certificate would also be tradeable.

That is how I think it should work.

So, wait. You're saying that everyone should have to buy a certificate from the CM before they can even use it? Yeah, that's the problem that we have with what they announced, dude. No.

My idea is better.

So, wait. You're saying that everyone should have to buy a certificate from the CM before they can even use it? Yeah, that's the problem that we have with what they announced, dude. No.

My idea is better.

Every subscriber gets free cartel points, giving up a 100 of those or so is no big deal. Every free player can either pony up some money to help support the game or they can buy a certificate off other players from the GTN.

The barber shop is a luxury that a minority will use, it should cost cartel coins. I'd rather save the "I'm a subscriber, I shouldn't have to pay for that" card back for something more important.

Every subscriber gets free cartel points, giving up a 100 of those or so is no big deal. Every free player can either pony up some money to help support the game or they can buy a certificate off other players from the GTN.

The barber shop is a luxury that a minority will use, it should cost cartel coins. I'd rather save the "I'm a subscriber, I shouldn't have to pay for that" card back for something more important.

Our monthly stipend is a REWARD. The moment it becomes NECESSARY to use that REWARD to access portions of the game it is no longer a REWARD and instead becomes an ALLOWANCE.

No, we should be allowed to keep our reward and use it on whatever we want. The should not be making anything assuming that subscribers can use their monthly stipend to pay for it, especially not if they expect us to continue buying their packs with it as well.

Maybe you think they should start charging subscribers to use the GTN too. It's a luxury that only a minority use.

Edited by Blackavaar

The problem with that is this is your opinion. do you remember when the CM first released and everyone was ranting about social gear shouldn't be in there because it should be available to subs for free? You are saying the same thing just about this. There is a group of people for every cosmetic anything that don't want it in the CM... and check out this little tidbit.

So to take things further some people don't want any cosmetic Items in the CM. This is a F2P game, this is how they make their money, this is how they keep giving you content like the last major update that none of us had to pay for, 2.0 in a few weeks that none of us have to pay for. Remember those? cosmetic items in the CM like character customizations are how they pay for that.

They drew a line and were completely forward about it. Get used to all cosmetic items being in the CM.

First, they did not draw a hard line. Obviously new raid gear has new cosmetic designs that are free for subs (or anyone with a paid raid pass) and are not available on the CM. The tank mount and title from NiM EC are purely cosmetic. BW obviously recognizes that subs that participate in high end elder game stuff expect and deserve cosmetic things, and have explicitly gone ahead and awarded them that. All they have stated is that the CM will almost exclusively contain cosmetic items. This does not preclude any new cosmetic additions to the base game - obviously it would be unanimously declared a tragedy if S&V dropped gear that looked like BH gear.

But I suppose it is a matter of opinion. You happen to believe that subscribers who pay $15 a month are entitled to 0 cosmetic upgrades and must purchase them if they want them using CC coins - of which they receive far too little of in a stipend if they actually wanted to purchase them all (not even looking at packs). Why you'd choose to believe you deserve so little as a subscriber is beyond me.

Personally, though, I'm not up in arms about that stuff on the CM because all those items can be put on the GTN and resold for credits. They have not stated that the barbershop will be resalable on the GTN. If it is I will be much happier than as it is currently described, but I'd rather not have to rely on the fluctuating market and availability if I get the whim to dye my character's hair. And as others have stated, that decision is so small and unimportant that I won't do it unless it is available as easily and cheaply as possible.

It is the sort of cosmetic option that, like new raid gear, I'd think should be in the game baseline. A few other games (and countless gamers) agree with me here. New hairstyles, complexions, cybernetics? Throw em on the CM and I'll happily spend my stipend on one I like a lot (LEGACY BOUND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE THOUGH). Changing from one starter hairstyle to another? Please.

The idea is really cool and could definitely work with some tuning, but for the love of god, please, don't change undergarments.

It is already bad enough with all the bikini jedis, I'd rather avoid seeing people cybering around like old times

nice and well thought out post.

the light beard should be under the facial hair option though, not complexion.. as complexion is giving you different degrees of clean shaven, my dad looks like that after he's clean shaven, he grows hair very quickly, some people do just have hairy faces 1 days growth to one person is another's 5 hr growth - so i see complexion as more like a degree of clean shaven, not actual facial hair like a proper stubble, or the light moustaches you see on some of the NPCs which should be added to the facial hair options

nice and well thought out post.

the light beard should be under the facial hair option though, not complexion.. as complexion is giving you different degrees of clean shaven, my dad looks like that after he's clean shaven, he grows hair very quickly, some people do just have hairy faces 1 days growth to one person is another's 5 hr growth - so i see complexion as more like a degree of clean shaven, not actual facial hair like a proper stubble, or the light moustaches you see on some of the NPCs which should be added to the facial hair options

Thanks!

I somewhat agree, but I can see why the devs put it under Complexion. See, the way they have it you can have a five o'clock shadow and a mustache. If the facial growth was in the same slot as the facial hair it could only be one or the other, unless they made several duplicates (moustache, moustache and facial growth, goatee, goatee and facial growth, etc.).