[VIDEO] Commando Healing Vid (Pot5)

SOULCASTER

Have been making videos lately of some of my characters for people wondering about how I play certain classes. For those who are interested in some basic commando healer tips. Check it out

Comments, gripes, trolls, flames, what-not welcome. =)

I'm considering investing into Fraps. My internet is neither sup-par nor exceptionally good.

I do not have any fancy recording devices.

Would I be able to put out 720p videos like yourself with just downloading Fraps and a recording outlet?

I just use the full version of FRAPS (which isn't anything fancy) and then use Windows Movie Maker (free download) to compress the original like 40gig movies down to like 1gig movies. As well as edit them with WMMaker.

I save my movies in that for "high definition playback" and it just makes them up to 1080 when i link them on youtube.

If you want to try a free movie recording program out first. Try: bandicam. I think its http://www.bandicam.com. And it lets you record I think 10min of video at a time for free.

Edited by SOULCASTER

I just use the full version of FRAPS (which isn't anything fancy) and then use Windows Movie Maker (free download) to compress the original like 40gig movies down to like 1gig movies. As well as edit them with WMMaker.

I save my movies in that for "high definition playback" and it just makes them up to 1080 when i link them on youtube.

If you want to try a free movie recording program out first. Try: bandicam. I think its http://www.bandicam.com. And it lets you record I think 10min of video at a time for free.

Thank you for the feedback. Hoping to try this setup come Spring Break.

Have been making videos lately of some of my characters for people wondering about how I play certain classes. For those who are interested in some basic commando healer tips. Check it out

Played it great was a very good video as well getting a guard is a blessing for a merc heals ain't it hehe

I'm considering investing into Fraps. My internet is neither sup-par nor exceptionally good.

I do not have any fancy recording devices.

Would I be able to put out 720p videos like yourself with just downloading Fraps and a recording outlet?

Don't invest in nothing get a program called msi afterburner it does the lot and costs nothing :)

nice job, even as a commando. However maxed Expertise is pointless right now. 1050 for a healer is enough.

Too bad commando didn't get some luv in the past couple of months. It is far the worst healer in the game.

meanwhile you can do 1000-1400hps on a RWZ with a sorc/operative, this figure will be like 700-900 with a merc :(

shame...not to mention the survivalability.

I would give some buff, such as preventative medice gives dmg redo instead of armor rating, and you could stack a buff up to 3 with hammer shot which would give you extra 9% crit chance on the next heal

too OP? :D

Edited by robotkar

nice job, even as a commando. However maxed Expertise is pointless right now. 1050 for a healer is enough.

No one listen to this. This guy either puts way too much importance on endurance or hasn't done the math himself.

Edited by Ravashakk

Great Vid. I think I've been in a game or two with you on my Slinger a few weeks ago. If I run into ya again, I'm going to make sure to spec Sab and keep AoE under you. The ultimate peel is a AoE killzone. ;)

Pretty good, my first character was a CM and since I've played him I've also made a scoundrel healer and sage healer. Commando is still my favorite though, the single target heals are just so powerful. As a CM we can bring players from the brink of death much quicker than any of the other healers (MP>BI>AMP>MP> = InstaFullHealth) that's my opinion though. The flexibility and cheap cost of ammo for Kolto Bomb is amazing as well.

Your healing style is great, I think were about the same in terms of heal output. I never use adrenaline rush though so I feel inspired now and will start doing that. I also like how you strained on the importance of Kolto Bomb (so instrumental). Your positioning was also pretty much perfect, always in the fight but always in the back; which is ideal because then the enemy doesn't single you out as a healer (unlike sages/scoundrels which stay on the fringe because of their low armor ratings).

One thing I would recommend: Keep your resource high. Don't use Super Charge Cells so sparingly; it's not an emergency ability, neither is Bacta Infusion. Use them when you have them; they will be vital in keeping your resource high considering SCC restores 1 ammo and also increases your healing making you use less ammo to keep team mates alive plus it gives the benefactors of Kolto Bomb a shield! That in itself will save you so much ammo. BI is a free AMP, basically, and on a 21 sec CD it will help more so than it will hurt to use it often.

Other than that, personally my "emergency heal" is a combo of just Tech Overide+MP; BI just doesn't have as much kick to constitute as an emergency heal. That way I'm giving my skills more utility because I'm using them all over the entire course of the battle and not in little segments. This will give you more flexibility to work with.

Granted my healing isn't as "bursty" as yours but as a result of my techniques my ammo reserve always stays a little half over keeping the resource rate high. This way my healing output is constant over the entire duration of the battle and when the pressure is on I'll use my Recharge Cells and steward my ammo even more so. My way is certainly not a better style of healing but it is more easy on the ammo. All a matter of preference though I suppose.

Good vid, I think I might make one too!

EDIT: Another note on SCC (10 Sec)

SSC AMP

1.3*8 =10.4 Sec = 8 AMP Casts * (884~948 Healing Done) = 7072~7584

SSC AMP>MP (Repeat)

1.3+1.7+1.3+1.7+1.3+1.3 = 10.3 Sec = (4 AMP Casts*(884~948)) + (3 MP Casts (1253~1317)) = 7295~7743

The difference is somewhat minuscule which can be agreed on; BUT since I went back over your video and saw that you stack surge/power I think your healing output would benefit much greater if you use AMP>MP repeatedly. This is because when you critical on your MP your surge will widen the gap between the two combos to a higher degree than above. Not to mention that if you just spam AMP during an SSC and you were to be interrupted...well I'm sure you've been there. It's better to lose MP during SSC than lose AMP.

Edited by Goshik

@ GOSHIK

Thats great advice goshik, and I actually do use supercharge gas to get some ammo regen faster from time to time. However this was a very close match, and as you can see in the video, almost every time I was saving supercharge cells, I NEEDED to use it on someone shortly there after. But in matches that aren't so close, where I have time to relax a little more, I do use that tactic that you said.

I'll be honest, I think this video was one of my better action management videos as well. There have been times where I'm running dry most of the match haha.

I'd love to see more people post some tutorial videos like this. I think they are fun =)

Thanks again for the comments and compliments guys. Some of them are really funny.

@ GOSHIK

Thats great advice goshik, and I actually do use supercharge gas to get some ammo regen faster from time to time. However this was a very close match, and as you can see in the video, almost every time I was saving supercharge cells, I NEEDED to use it on someone shortly there after. But in matches that aren't so close, where I have time to relax a little more, I do use that tactic that you said.

I'll be honest, I think this video was one of my better action management videos as well. There have been times where I'm running dry most of the match haha.

I'd love to see more people post some tutorial videos like this. I think they are fun =)

Thanks again for the comments and compliments guys. Some of them are really funny.

I anticipated as much. While picking apart your video I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt on couple things since no battle is ever perfect; we can only be conscious of so much at a time after all. So I wasn't going to mention the early CC break or that you say you put Trama Probe on others besides yourself. I hope you wouldn't do since it would be a waste of the 2 points of your Front-Line Medic talent; which luckily you didn't do as you had TP on your 3/4 of the match.

A question also: Why don't you have Treated Wound Dressing and Iron Sights fully talented? They seem to be a standard with any Commando build. Also, I would think you'd favor Bacta Residue since you are a promoter of the Kolto Bomb.

There is nothing wrong with your build in the least bit but I was just wondering.

Nice vid, you're above average. AMP spamming on a same guy is terrible tho.

A question also: Why don't you have Treated Wound Dressing and Iron Sights fully talented? They seem to be a standard with any Commando build. Also, I would think you'd favor Bacta Residue since you are a promoter of the Kolto Bomb.

There is nothing wrong with your build in the least bit but I was just wondering.

Well I change my talent tree builds around pretty regularly. Like I stated in that video. However I never get Treated Wond Dressing. 4% Damage reduction is very meh to me. Just my personal opnion. Same with Bacta Residue. It costs 2pts to get and only gives a 3% healing bonus. Its unlikely that you will heal each of those targets that you put residue on, so its pointless unless someone else is going to heal them and get the 3% heal bonus out of it. And there are so many things going on in combat that 3% heal bonus on one person isn't spectacular anyway. Especially not for 2 pts. USUALLY when I get Bacta Residue, I only put one point in it.

You could easily say well lose the alacrity talent box and then you can pick that up. And I have in the past. For that particular video however I happen to like them. It helps me get my Adv Med Probe down to 1.2 and my Med probe down to 1.6 or 1.7. I like the faster heals than just stacking power and having full 1.5 and 2.0 length heals.

As for Iron Sights. I only get 6 points in the middle tree and having 2 pts in advanced tech will give you more of a bonus and return than having full Iron sights (an additional 6% aim). Again I could move the alacrity box into it, and then get full 6% aim. But I'm not a big main stat stacker. I not most people are. Sorry im not.

Edited by SOULCASTER

So I wasn't going to mention the early CC break or that you say you put Trama Probe on others besides yourself. I hope you wouldn't do since it would be a waste of the 2 points of your Front-Line Medic talent; which luckily you didn't do as you had TP on your 3/4 of the match.

Yes that would be true, however there are times when a tank or dps needs the TP and I'm not taking fire. So despite being talented into it, its very easy to put on someone else and get more healing done, and if need be switch it back to myself. An example is a huttball carrier. I'm not going to respec my talent trees for every warzone just to change a 2pt box around.

Not all of your talent tree builds are going to be used at all times. And TP is very easy to switch back and forth depending on how heavy the action is or is not.

Edited by SOULCASTER

Great vid. Not many current Combat Medic vids to reference, so vids like this + the discussion they generate are a needed resource. Good job.

Ancient Hypergates is the hardest map for casters imo. The centre fighting area is so cramped, and you lose LoS easily if you don't move in, but doing obliges you to surrender all the advantages of range. I actually like how you're in the middle of the fray - I know that's not ideal, but it's fairly typical of the CM/Bodyguard experience: you can fret about positioning all you want but you're eventually gonna get pulled in or the battle will come to you one way or another, and "tanky heals" is supposed to be our niche anyways.

Edited by klham