Don't think "Power Leveling" is worth it

skiibyrd

This 'Power Leveling' is not what its made out to be. I spent 2 hours on Ilum with a level 18 toon, and only gained 2 levels... with a major XP boost activated. When the major XP boost ended, i went back to DK and continued my story line quests, with a Major Class Quest XP boost, and 2 hours and 1 flashpoint later I was 5 levels higher than when I started.

That means I gained over twice the amount of XP running a Major Class Quest XP boost, running class quests, than I did doing the 'Power Leveling' with a Major XP Boost.

Not to mention, it wasnt just me that experienced this. Two of my guildies tried this as well, and stopped shortly after due to realizing how much XP they gain from doing class quests, and WZ's in comparison (one was a 31 Bounty Hunter, and the other was at 27 Marauder). They said they gained about 1k-5k (in about 5-8 minutes) XP from each kill... but when you complete your class quests, and take out trash mobs as you go, you can get about 14k+ Per class quest, and maybe takes about 10-15 minutes.

Not to mention the fact that Pubs (opposing faction's) are now coming and interrupting the pulls (they are getting the orbs from the PvP area, and blowing up (suicide bombing) in the middle of the raid, and there was a lot of talk of the groups starting to fail.

I know this is a huge craze, but I really think it will pass, it good if you start for level 1 and try to gain a couple of very quick levels, but its not cost effective to grind gree dailies until you reach level in the mid-high 40's.

Edited by skiibyrd

Psst.......You get more experience from leveling in a group rather than on your own, so you got more exp in the flashpoint than anywhere. Try doing quests in a group and you will see a big difference. Edited by Garanaga

Psst.......You get more experience from leveling in a group rather than on your own, so you got more exp in the flashpoint than anywhere. Try doing quests in a group and you will see a big difference.

Except you miss out on all that double XP for quest tun ins (other than the daily and end of FP, which is minimal). So assuming you usually play with rested XP, once you've done your FP daily, the only real added bonus from doing FPs is double XP from the legacy perk. I found regular questing in a group (particularly heroics) to be a MUCH faster method.

Don't know why people want to "powerlevel" anyways.

The whole idea of playing an MMO is socializing with others and enjoying the story and playing through it unfolding and just enjoying the game because its down time most of us rarely get and i want to savour what the creators have put 10's of thousands of man hours over many years into creating....

Why do people have to treat a video game like fast food , give it to me quick,.,,eat it quick....get back on the road. This isn't a job..its a hobby..not everything in life has to be a mad rush all the time. So what if you do have 1 50 or more ready for Makeb..its not like the expansion is going anywhere or expires. We will probably get patch 2.0 before Makeb releases anyways..

Edited by CrazyCanukk

Psst.......You get more experience from leveling in a group rather than on your own, so you got more exp in the flashpoint than anywhere. Try doing quests in a group and you will see a big difference.

Thats what we were doing, we were doing story line quests as a group of 3 of guildies

Yes, usually the socializing is done at max level running raids or doing pvp with your guildies.

right..so what your saying is there is almost no socializing before you get to level 50...because before level 50 its impossible to socialize :rolleyes:

yes at level 50 there is "more" socialization because of the nature of the gameplay at that point and the PVE and story have basically worked their way trhough...but lets not discount this is still a game and socializing and enjoying the game is done through out the process and if a person fails or refuses to socialize more before level 50 that is the fault of the player them self only for deciding to take the "lone wolf" approach to playing through the game to get to 50 and being more of a loner instead as there are many opportunities to enjoy playing the game with others as you play through the levels.

Personally i'll just stop playing PVE and the story...take a ride to the other side of the planet i am on and get auto flagged for PVP and see what trouble i can get into and constantly playing through heroics, flash points and grouping for lots of quests with my guild mates and talking on Mumble..

If others wait until level 50 to partake in this then IMO thats a stupid approach to playing a video game that at its heart the genre is based around socialization and they are treating a game more like a job...

right..so what your saying is there is almost no socializing before you get to level 50...because before level 50 its impossible to socialize :rolleyes:

yes at level 50 there is "more" socialization because of the nature of the gameplay at that point and the PVE and story have basically worked their way trhough...but lets not discount this is still a game and socializing and enjoying the game is done through out the process and if a person fails or refuses to socialize more before level 50 that is the fault of the player them self only for deciding to take the "lone wolf" approach to playing through the game to get to 50 and being more of a loner instead as there are many opportunities to enjoy playing the game with others as you play through the levels.

Personally i'll just stop playing PVE and the story...take a ride to the other side of the planet i am on and get auto flagged for PVP and see what trouble i can get into and constantly playing through heroics, flash points and grouping for lots of quests with my guild mates and talking on Mumble..

If others wait until level 50 to partake in this then IMO thats a stupid approach to playing a video game that at its heart the genre is based around socialization and they are treating a game more like a job...

Relax. Some of us are leveling raid alts and don't really fee like running the same tired heroics for the fifth time.

Headline is correct. The post was completely wrong as was stated, they did it wrong. Read the other threads for the correct method. Nothing can generate xp faster than the Ilum power level ops. People were going from 1 to 50 in less than a day. Closer to half a day.

That said it isn't worth it. You miss out on the stories, which are the best part of swtor. Also, as others have said, people will end up with 50's and no idea how the class works.

As a means to add your 10th level 50 toon or something, ok, maybe that would be fine as you have probably seen it all by then. But you might want to try another game or do something else with your time at that point. To each their own I guess. As long as they don't prevent people from getting that pylon quest done, I have no issue with how they want to spend their time.

Relax. Some of us are leveling raid alts and don't really fee like running the same tired heroics for the fifth time.

So maybe they should sell the ability to be at level 50 then in the Cartel Market. Why even bother playing the game after a certain point to get to 50 when maybe its easier to just Buy a level 50 with basic green gear a basic weapon with some stipulations like Lets say legacy 10 is required or at least 3-4 level 50 characters on the same account already and sell it at a Hefty equivalent street price of IMO $40-$45 bucks worth of Cartel coins..

Or

Another idea : sell a 100% DBL XP boost ability (3 hours) to Sub holders or persons with at least level 5 legacy or 2 or more level 50 characters Via Cartel Market for 400-500 Cartel coins coins..

**ducks under desk hiding from inevitable crap storm incoming for even suggesting it.**

Not being snarky just suggesting ideas..I just dont get this need to power level..even if i played through a story line a few times there is always IMO something different to try.

Headline is correct. The post was completely wrong as was stated, they did it wrong. Read the other threads for the correct method. Nothing can generate xp faster than the Ilum power level ops. People were going from 1 to 50 in less than a day. Closer to half a day.

That said it isn't worth it. You miss out on the stories, which are the best part of swtor. Also, as others have said, people will end up with 50's and no idea how the class works.

As a means to add your 10th level 50 toon or something, ok, maybe that would be fine as you have probably seen it all by then. But you might want to try another game or do something else with your time at that point. To each their own I guess. As long as they don't prevent people from getting that pylon quest done, I have no issue with how they want to spend their time.

People were claiming they did that, but there is no proof, ever think it may have been a troll post? because it does not work, when i need 140k XP to get to level 22, and im getting 3-5 xp every 5-8 minutes, that is going to take way longer than a day.

People were claiming they did that, but there is no proof, ever think it may have been a troll post? because it does not work, when i need 140k XP to get to level 22, and im getting 3-5 xp every 5-8 minutes, that is going to take way longer than a day.

They were not referring to killing random critters on Ilum. It's a very specific trick: you need to be in a 4-person group and spawn the packs of elites, kill them then reset the quest and rapidly do it over and over again. The main thing it exploits is the "bolster" which allows a character of any level to be in a group with level 45-50 characters. The secondary things are the doubled XP and the quest resetting mechanics.

They were not referring to killing random critters on Ilum. It's a very specific trick: you need to be in a 4-person group and spawn the packs of elites, kill them then reset the quest and rapidly do it over and over again. The main thing it exploits is the "bolster" which allows a character of any level to be in a group with level 45-50 characters. The secondary things are the doubled XP and the quest resetting mechanics.

so then there are a lot of people out there who have no idea what they are doing, have groups of 27 people killing elites where all ilum was yesterday, and people stayed in them for 10+ hours gaining nothing. Now doing it the correct way with 4 people, sounds like a more reasonable way of doing it, but that isnt how it was... at least not on the PoT5 Server.

we were not killing random mobs though, we were doing the daily mission with the elites. We were getting nothing for XP so I left.

Edited by skiibyrd

The whole idea of playing an MMO is socializing with others and enjoying the story and playing through it unfolding and just enjoying the game because its down time most of us rarely get and i want to savour what the creators have put 10's of thousands of man hours over many years into creating....

Why do people have to treat a video game like fast food , give it to me quick,.,,eat it quick....get back on the road. This isn't a job..its a hobby..not everything in life has to be a mad rush all the time. So what if you do have 1 50 or more ready for Makeb..its not like the expansion is going anywhere or expires. We will probably get patch 2.0 before Makeb releases anyways..

Have you not browsed these forums at all? The whole idea is to get to end game ASAP and them whine on the forums about lack of content.

I disagree about the whole not knowing your class. The people being power lvled still attack the mobs with the ops guys doing more of the dmg. They will be attacking their entire way to 50 meaning they will know every skill and what it does regardless. On top of the fact that this game is a cake walk. Throw me on any lv 50 character and give me 30 minutes and I'll have the class worked out. (A lot of people are the same way.)

I disagree about the whole not knowing your class. The people being power lvled still attack the mobs with the ops guys doing more of the dmg. They will be attacking their entire way to 50 meaning they will know every skill and what it does regardless. On top of the fact that this game is a cake walk. Throw me on any lv 50 character and give me 30 minutes and I'll have the class worked out. (A lot of people are the same way.)

Give me a level 50 character who power leveled, and I will then have a character who have at least 16+ hours of story content just to get though Chapter 2 of story content, and unlock just the class buff.

Fair point but the farming worked much better than the OP claims. I took a 45 BH to 50 and a lvl 22 inq to 30 all in around 4 hours. This was a full ops group farming the pylon quest non stop. Seems like a 4 man would take longer, but I can not say. Like I said in another thread, I won't be doing it anymore because by the end it was BORING. I'd rather take my time with it.

As long as the farming doesn't prevent people from doing the quest and moving on, I don't think there is anything wrong with it.

MMOs are geared toward endgame content. most people who have leveled 1 or 2 toons the long way are no longer interested in running the same quests for the 3rd, 4th, etc time. they would rather get to endgame as quickly as possible.

which is why people powerlevel

And what do they do at endgame? Do the same quests a 10th, 15th, even 20th time. Endgame content is repeated much more so than leveling quests.

SWTOR, of all MMOs, is worth playing through.

And, let me get this straight: it's fun to kill the same set of mobs on Ilum for hours on end?

Edited by arunav

Yes, usually the socializing is done at max level running raids or doing pvp with your guildies.

This.

Even our "power leveling" was done as a guild event, and was a blast.

I went 10 levels on my 22, in about 10 hours on Friday and Saturday doing space missions, FPs, Class quests. I got 4 1/2 levels on my 39 sniper in about 2 hours or so power leveling. we were killing multiple groups (up to 4 at a time), constantly.

To me it seemed much faster with the power leveling. Faster leveling on a much higher alt.

Socializing is sooooo last century, man.

Go back to your old MMO's, and their crazy, wacked out "multiplayer features" like grouping together with other humans for stuff! Hippy!

And what do they do at endgame? Do the same quests a 10th, 15th, even 20th time. Endgame content is repeated much more so than leveling quests.

There are currently 4 Operations, 3 distinct levels of each. Raiding is done in a progression format that only begins at 50 so it is not repeated at 50, but begun at 50.

There are also world bosses, events, datacrons, PvP, guild events to be done.

Leveling is pretty much a solo event that does not really include the guild as everyone is usually at different levels. What would be nice is if we had the PvP set up where we have low level PvP, and Level 50 pvp so that guildies can do FPs together as they level up.

However, when you get right down to it, its the company rather then the content. We have a blast doing raids etc....and yes, most of that begins at 50 when we can all play together.

Edited by Blackardin