Why X2 XP Weekends Might Be Bad & 1 Suggestion

Mercathode

I think there's going to be a glut of new extra fresh and extra stinky inexperienced 50's running around with X2 XP. Ughhh.

AND I wish Bioware would make an app for smartphones or for lesser powered computers with just the companion crafting/gathering game mechanic/part so we could do that on our "off time" part of the game. People could be sending their comp's out on missions from their smartphones or work computers and get updates when they come back and then rinse/repeat.

It gets tedious during in game when the comps come back every 2-3 minutes from missions. It would help the players with limited amount of playtime who would rather spend it playing than administering.

Maybe even access to the GTN and inventory too?

People always find something to complain about. This is a perfect example how MMOs can never satisfy everyone. Ever since the double EXP started people in game loved it...all of them....yet there has to be always a poster who has to put his "valuable" opinion and contradict the majority.

Get over it. It is a good thing.

I'm not going to nter the discussion on whether or not double xp weekends are good or bad, but...doesn't everyone basically turn level 50 for the first time at some point? And yes, this might make it easier to reach that target but painting everyone with the same brush seems rather a sweeping generalisation. If it truly bugs anyone, maybe you should occassionally think back of the time when you first hit 50 and what you might've liked others to do. That might mean going at a slightly slower pace through a FP but if you're not willing to help out, noone's ever going to improve.

AND I wish Bioware would make an app for smartphones or for lesser powered computers with just the companion crafting/gathering game mechanic/part so we could do that on our "off time" part of the game. People could be sending their comp's out on missions from their smartphones or work computers and get updates when they come back and then rinse/repeat.

It gets tedious during in game when the comps come back every 2-3 minutes from missions. It would help the players with limited amount of playtime who would rather spend it playing than administering.

Yeah, and then have Bioware write a custom script for me so that I don't have to come up with my own exploit where I make credits endlessly while I sleep with the slicing crew skill.

Fool. Smash your keyboard now.

I think there's going to be a glut of new extra fresh and extra stinky inexperienced 50's running around with X2 XP. Ughhh.

I swear some people, who apparently don't ever leave their computer, will never be happy unless they are 1 of 2 levels 50s on the server and quests award 4 XP.

People always find something to complain about. This is a perfect example how MMOs can never satisfy everyone. Ever since the double EXP started people in game loved it...all of them....yet there has to be always a poster who has to put his "valuable" opinion and contradict the majority.

This, this, and this. I don't get why people care so much. Theres inexperienced players running around at 50 regardless,and we all deal with this. Its a part of the game. Let me ask you something OP and other complainers, were you always some amazing player at this game? No, you were not. The way I see it is nice more players, faster que times, higher populations, etc. I personally am loving this considering I had 4 alts at 30, that I didn't know how I was gonna be able to get them to 50 because its so time consuming, but just in a day I've got one through the 30s for the most part, and theres 4 more weekends on top. Quit whining.

Like we don't have that already..LOL But it is done deal don't see it changing, seems like a lot of people like it, I don't care one or the other myself, as soon I finish my last story, I am done here any way../shrug

Wasn't complaining. Just sharing a thought/observation. I love the game AND managed to get some of my lowbie level alts up higher.

Sorry it came across to you that way. I can see how Forums can make people Jaded and assume that every post is negative and or a flame.

I meant it kinda jokingly.

You are right it's a good thing overall.

What people complain is not being able to turn it of when you when you want. If you don't see why someone would want to do that, you might need to work on your creative thinking. Go enjoy your 2x exp all you want i could care less, just let me play the game how I want to. It is not at anyone's expense just make it a toggle... While you are ok with having fun at my expense.

I don't quite understand why they're so eager to increase the number of level 50s for the start of Makeb/Update 2.0.

What I thought before starting to write the post:

There's no real benefit for the players. Makeb will be crowded and it will be over quickly, (based on how quickly I leveled to 54 on PTS with just level 50 dailies).

People are burning through the unique content even faster (let's include Makeb even if it doesn't have class stories) and then sit on the fleet with nothing but grind and cartel market left, just starting to learn how to play their class, with weekly reward caps discouraging any focus on a specific character and effectively no craftable endgame gear. WIN.

Those who are just using the double XP to level yet another alt don't really need the double XP to see Makeb as soon as it goes live. And those who use the double XP to level their first or second 50 - I'm not sure it's really doing them and their fellow players a service in the medium term.

I do believe that the devs/community managers are genuinely excited about this and think it's a great idea. And I'm kind of sorry that I don't agree or see it that way. It makes me sad to see my guildies getting into a rabid leveling race with little appreciation for what really makes the game beautiful, fun and unique.

What occurred to me while writing the post:

[Cui bono?]

Me having 4 instead of 2 level 50/55s means I'll have to buy a commendations cap increase for 4 instead of 2 characters...

The sooner people reach level 50/55 the sooner they're in the pay-to-play zone. Shortening the leveling time means less (server/infrastructure) resources used on free content.

I know a lot of people are excited about it and I don't begrudge them their fun in the least. I'm not complaining, either, I'll find something else to do. I have also resorted to just quitting painful FP/ops pugs. I just don't share the excitement because I don't think it's a good thing beyond the first 2 or 3 weeks of Makeb.

A few thoughts.

First, the reason they want peeps to cap faster is to increase the sales for Makeb. There are still plenty of peeps out there who have not capped one toon and need and incentive too. Once capped it seems logical that their interest in Makeb will increase. In addition, some are returning to the game because of double xp too. People that lost interest in the grind to 50 are returning.

Second, I don't mind the influx of fresh 50s. Many of those fresh 50s will be experienced players on their alts. Consequently not only will they know the content but they will be well geared as soon as possible as their main will pave the way farming comms and legacy gear. So... HM FPs will benefit with some renewed interest and more classes ie tanks and healers in que.

In addition, the truly fresh 50s will benefit the most. First, they get a full set of Tionese which was something not available when many of us capped. Gear will not be an issue. Plus as many of us are running content for comms and not for drops, we are well over geared to carry them and the content is not an issue.

Last... double XP is a great thing. Renewed interest and fresh blood keep the game going. I love it personally for my alts, but really having new players to play with at 50 with a renewed interest and their sights on Makeb will make the game better.

A few thoughts.

In addition, the truly fresh 50s will benefit the most. First, they get a full set of Tionese which was something not available when many of us capped. Gear will not be an issue. Plus as many of us are running content for comms and not for drops, we are well over geared to carry them and the content is not an issue.

O'rly?? :D

Can you tell me then how well you can gear your character if the comms get a 50 weekly cap? All of us who were running content for comms are stabbed in the back.. You'll find out what i mean soon enough..

O'rly?? :D

Can you tell me then how well you can gear your character if the comms get a 50 weekly cap? All of us who were running content for comms are stabbed in the back.. You'll find out what i mean soon enough..

Sure, I can tell you. The comm overflow cap is 800. So... when we have our comms converted, for those of us that are grinding comms now, we will have 800 over the cap right off the bat.

Second, when you run current 50 content you will get more than just one type of comm. Most will drop, Basic, Elite, and Ultimate comms. So... when the caps kick in you will be still benefit from continued grinding if you choose to because you can be working on the next tier not just the Basic set for level 55.

People freak out about the caps which, with all due respect is... misguided. The fact is that you are getting rewards with multiple types of comms which drop a different rates. And the benefit? You are working on more then one tier of gear simultaneously.

Edited by Rafaman

I swear some people, who apparently don't ever leave their computer, will never be happy unless they are 1 of 2 levels 50s on the server and quests award 4 XP.

Yeah, even with a Double XP weekend, some people might not even reach 50 because, you know, they have something called a life .

I don't quite understand why they're so eager to increase the number of level 50s for the start of Makeb/Update 2.0.

For the developers, they want to encourage more folks to hit level 50 so that they'll have a larger audience when the expansion rolls out! After all, why would anyone who doesn't have a level 50 yet really be tempted to order (or pre-order) the expansion? It's a marketing move - they want to sell the expansion while they can sell the expansion. When it is old hat, they'll not make as much (if anything) for the software itself, just like they don't make any money on the main TOR software now.

From what I'm seeing, I'd say it is a good move, but players will vote with their wallets!