[BUG]Darth Malak's Mouth Cover gives no muffled voice.

Magnusheart

It's about having honest and straight forward communication, something that EA is seldom capable of. It's about giving the community realistic expectations of the game's current development potential and future. It's about not misleading the community to promote the idea of unyielding success, health and growth.

So what the hell did you want them to do, completely ignore the question leading to whining about how "the dev team never listens!"?

Sheesh...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know if anyone else has noticed, but Malak's Jaw is basically just a reskinned version of the Guerilla helm from the cartel market, the difference in skin is that the portion that goes over the head has been removed. (try previewing both helms back-to-back in the preview window: no change except for that bit that covers the head)

http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/swtor-cartel-market-cz-13k-guerrilla-armor-set-full-female_thumb.jpg

I don't think the Guerrila armor affected the player's voice, so it makes sense that the reskinned Malak jaw wouldn't either.

I just did as you suggested, and they don't line up. They are completely different models. I am currently wearing the Malak headpiece on my Sith Warrior.

This is exactly right! To be sure, I queried our developers to see if the mask was supposed to have modulation, and they confirmed that it was not designed to modify the voice.

Been wondering if it had a voice effect, I was hoping it would have the same effect as the BH Warrior helmet has. That said, a piece of metal covering your mouth would alter your voice, no?

It's disturbing how often I find myself agreeing with your posts.

But yeah. Considering the fact normal speech would be hard to hear at all, wouldn't it make sense that the mask provided some sort of mechanical aid? Guess that wouldn't neccessarily change the voice though, cool as that is. Thanks for the input Amber.

Imo the reason for which that jaw casing provides no modulations is that it would require more work. Not the lore reasons. But in my opinion that jaw-casing should provide a voice modulation. Why? Because jaw-casing is not an armor, it's more of a medical accessory designed to cover sensitive and damaged parts of Malak's jaw and perhaps provide some support when it comes to head balancing. It's not a mask, it's a cover for your entire jaw area. I find it more than reasonable to input some kind of voice modulation (it already exists on many helmets!), especially for people who would like to pretend that their characters do have severe jaw injuries. ;P And since it's a replica then it's obviously made for collector's and history freaks who would like to pretend to be characters of the past ^^

This is exactly right! To be sure, I queried our developers to see if the mask was supposed to have modulation, and they confirmed that it was not designed to modify the voice.

Not that I find this to be a pressing issue or anything, but surely having a metal slab enclosing a character's mouth area would alter his or her voice in some way? The key word is muffled here.

Don't know if anyone else has noticed, but Malak's Jaw is basically just a reskinned version of the Guerilla helm from the cartel market, the difference in skin is that the portion that goes over the head has been removed. (try previewing both helms back-to-back in the preview window: no change except for that bit that covers the head)

http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/swtor-cartel-market-cz-13k-guerrilla-armor-set-full-female_thumb.jpg

I don't think the Guerrila armor affected the player's voice, so it makes sense that the reskinned Malak jaw wouldn't either.

Look a bit closer, on the guerilla head piece the lower portion doesn't even finish covering the lips in your picture where the Malak piece gives almost clear to the nose with the mouth fully covered. Not to mention the design is different between both.

Why not just give us the option in UI/Preferences to have voice modulation so we can pick when we want it.

Or how about an icon or info on the item description whether the gear gives the modulation.

But all we'll get is either no response or a hollow 'great idea, passed it along, wall of crazy'.

I would have to talk to your design team myself. Because if this is Malak's mask, Malak did have a metal twang in his voice. Jawless or no it would make for a nice cosmetic choice. Like in this video....

What I dislike about this is that you seem to suggest that it would have ever been a possibility for the Development team. They can scarcely draw out content, and you're checking up with them to see if they modified every piece of existing voice acting script for the sake of a single cosmetic piece.

I hope that trip was part of your coffee run or toilet break, or something.

they do have emails within the company you know. Even phone extensions to their desks with hands free speaker conversation capabilities. Crazy world, I know.

I would have to talk to your design team myself. Because if this is Malak's mask, Malak did have a metal twang in his voice. Jawless or no it would make for a nice cosmetic choice. Like in this video....

As I said before (And you most likely did not read my first post, nor clicked the link) his voice is like that NOT because he has a piece of metal on his mouth, but because He CANNOT SPEAK AT ALL and uses a device to speak,

. His voice is exactly the same whether he wears that piece of metal or not. Why? Because he does not speak himself, his voice is generated by that device with a blue light.

Also seeing how tight that piece of metal is you would most likely not be able to speak at all with it.

Edited by Aelther

As I said before (And you most likely did not read my first post, nor clicked the link) his voice is like that NOT because he has a piece of metal on his mouth, but because He CANNOT SPEAK AT ALL and uses a device to speak,
. His voice is exactly the same whether he wears that piece of metal or not. Why? Because he does not speak himself, his voice is generated by that device with a blue light.

Also seeing how tight that piece of metal is you would most likely not be able to speak at all with it.

Exactly, We shouldnt in theory. WHICH IS WHY they should at least modulate it instead of having a normal voice.

Also seeing how tight that piece of metal is you would most likely not be able to speak at all with it if you had a jaw.

I have played KotOR a numerous amount of times to know all of Malak's backstory and his voice box. Regardless...he has a distinct sound...no one knew Malak didn't have a jaw until the very end of the game, and as such he still has a unique effect on his voice. Not having some distorted sound over the voice would be like if they put Darth Vader's armor in the game and didn't give us the deep voice because none of our characters were nearly burned half to death, its just the aesthetic. We don't have to have our jaws cut off, or any body manipulation for that matter, to make up our own backstory for our characters. When I saw the Malak armor first come out I got all excited because I wanted to hear what my Juggernaut sounded like with a metallic voice (and yes my jaw is not cut off), and when there wasn't an effect on top of my voice I was immediately disappointed. I still use the armor because I think it is entirely ******, but I do wish there was something there for the mask.

no one knew Malak didn't have a jaw until the very end of the game

I fail to see how that's relevant to anything at all. So because we discovered that at the end of the game, we should pretend it never happened?

Malak wore that piece of metal to cover his disfigurement, not to have a fancy voice. So unless you can chop your jaw off, which you can't, you shouldn't have Malak's voice filter. I'm fine with them adding a filter which will make you sound as if you had a tape on your mouth, cause that's how it should be.

So if there's anything wrong with his set it's his cape (which should be cut in half), not his metal jaw.

Edited by Aelther

I fail to see how that's relevant to anything at all. So because we discovered that at the end of the game, we should pretend it never happened?

Malak wore that piece of metal to cover his disfigurement, not to have a fancy voice. So unless you can chop your jaw off, which you can't, you shouldn't have Malak's voice filter. I'm fine with them adding a filter which will make you sound as if you had a tape on your mouth, cause that's how it should be.

Yes I get it Malak doesn't have a jaw and has a voice box to speak and the metal piece just covers it up. I've known this for years. But you have to understand, when you think of Malak and when he speaks he has that voice alteration because of his voice box. It makes it unique to that character. When you hear that voice you think "Oh that's Malak alright." Now I understand that THERE IS NO POSSIBLE WAY FOR US TO GET OUR JAWS CUT OFF TO HAVE US GET A VOICE BOX but still when you associate that armor to the person that was wearing it you are expecting for it to also mimic how the person sounded. I will say it again, if Darth Vader's armor was added to SWTOR and it did not have the breathing and the deep voice, it would break the illusion of what you're trying to accomplish with said armor. Yes Malak doesn't have a jaw and yes we can't get our jaws cut off as well, but I would like to hear that sound still over my voice because of how unique it sounded...to my knowledge there isn't a head piece in game that gives me that type of effect.

But you have to understand, when you think of Malak and when he speaks he has that voice alteration because of his voice box. It makes it unique to that character. When you hear that voice you think "Oh that's Malak alright."

Yes, let's ruin the character of Malak even more and make him EVEN LESS unique. As if having the replica of his set was not enough. But why stop at voice? How about if you wear his set you also get automatically transformed into a tall white male, lose the hair from your head and receive some tattoos as well.

Somehow no one complained that Nihilus' mask did not turn your voice into fancy gibberish, but Malak has to be an exception for some reason.

But I'm sure that if you keep asking long enough you'll get that effect sooner or later and we'll be able to add Malak's jaw cover to the big list of ruined lore artefacts, like the Endar Spire which magically re-assembled itself before crash-landing into Taris,

. Edited by Aelther

What I dislike about this is that you seem to suggest that it would have ever been a possibility for the Development team. They can scarcely draw out content, and you're checking up with them to see if they modified every piece of existing voice acting script for the sake of a single cosmetic piece.

Jesus Christ people!!! Will you ever stop whine about every single thing on those god forsaken forums???? You get no dev response, you whine. you get dev response you whine. You get a bad dev reponse, you whine. You get a good dev response, you whine again. Do you actually have to make an effort for it or it comes out naturally? Get a life!!!!

You know, they have this great invention, which allows a simple question to be answered in mere moments without any major disruption to either party's work flow.

Instant Messaging.

Or if that's not available, e-mail still works, even in 2013. One can ask and answer a question without ever leaving their desk.