Clone Wars "Winding down"

DarthDymond

http://starwars.com/news/a-new-direction-for-lucasfilm-animation.html

So Disney is now taking Lucasfilm Animation in a "new direction" leading up to the new movies, by which they mean they're wrapping up the Clone Wars. They're also "delaying" Star Wars Detours, which I will bet cash money means that project is effectively dead.

I try not to be doom and gloom, but between this news and the news that 1313 is being put on hold, I think DIsney may well be phasing out the existing EU altogether and looking at a full-on reboot with the new films.

With the new films will be set in the timeframe already covered in the EU, I doubt they want the constraints of trying to mesh them with the existing continuity.

Guess we'll see what happens...

I never really did get around to following the post-ROTJ EU, aside from a couple NJO books. Most of my delving has been prequel-Old Republic era. I doubt Disney will do too much that will definitively fudge with much of that.

This is great news! The EU in that era really needs to be wiped clean and reworked in a more sensible fashion. I'm sure they'll keep the overarching themes that tied the story together, but a lot of the details were messy and contradictory with somewhat inconsistent character development and some really terrible plot lines.

And no more reborn Palpatine absurdities either!

Also Star Wars First Assault is getting put on hold thanks to Disney. Although it has been known that TCW would mostly likely stop at Season 6, the way Disney is forcing its continuation seems like a dick move to me. And this is coming from someone who been ticked off at a majority of TCW lately.

But if Disney kills the EU off there will be many Star Wars fans upset and now we'll have another JJ moment where the fansbase is split completely. I know I will never watch the new films / take any of it serious if the EU is destroyed. You don't just take decades worth of lore and say "F#$% you!" to it.

Only semi-good thing I can say is that they might not wimp out once more and actually put some big-boy pants on and show Order 66.

Edited by Eillack

Yeah, just read from James Arnold Taylor's Twitter that he got a call they were cancelling the show. Sucks because I know they could have gotten more out of the show. They could have taken us further to the events leading up to the first scene in Ep 3. Showed us more of Anakin's down fall, him drawing closer to Padme and Palpatine and distancing himself more from the Jedi and the Council.

As it is, I do really think they have done a good job so far. We got to see what happened to Ahsoka, which I'm personally glad she wasn't killed off. No way they can kill her off now tho...she was a character at Disney. We also got to see why Anakin would have a distrust of the Jedi Council. He wasn't just a moody Jedi who was at odds with the Jedi because he didn't get his way. His Padawan was expelled unfairly and put on a mock trial. He has a reason to mistrust them now. So it makes more sense even if they blew up the continuity in doing so.

As far as the EU goes, most of it Post ROTJ was garbage to me anyway. War for the sake of selling books and comics. Some of it I liked, but most was poodoo. I hope DIsney does a good job with whatever they release after this. Maybe even another cartoon which I could get behind.

Sad to see it go, but also exciting to see it end.

This means we are going to see all the stuff we ahve been wanting to know, all the what will happens to __________? Will finally be answered.

Maybe, we will get a new series further along in the storyline and that would be awesome.

Now i can buy the whole series and put in in my video library right between episode 2 and 3, Over 50 hours already added to collection due to Clone Wars.

worse part is that they had just worked out the story line leading up to Ep3 for the Clone Wars. I kinda wondering if they are cancelling it so that they can get out of the Contract with Cartoon Network and bring it back under a different name on Disney XD or wth they are calling it these days.

I try not to be doom and gloom, but between this news and the news that 1313 is being put on hold, I think DIsney may well be phasing out the existing EU altogether and looking at a full-on reboot with the new films.

With the new films will be set in the timeframe already covered in the EU, I doubt they want the constraints of trying to mesh them with the existing continuity.

Guess we'll see what happens...

"Star Wars" has primarily been about the events, which transpired around the Skywalker family. While "Star Trek" spent 40+ years on a diverse set of characters and species (movies & tv), "Star Wars" has spent 39+ years on the Skywalker family (movies).

"The Phantom Menace", "Attack of the Clones", "Revenge of the Sith", "A New Hope", "Empire Strikes Back", and "Return of the Jedi" were nine chapters that revolved around one family. Even though the franchise was expanded upon in novels, comics, and games, the core movie canon has not gone beyond a handful of characters.

Even though I love the original Skywalker trilogy, I think its time to move everything forward.

Unless BioWare and LucasFilms mentions anything, I am now expecting "Star Wars: the Old Republic" to wind down. I am not counting anything out. I have a funny feeling that Disney wants to move beyond the older concepts. "Star Wars: the Old Republic" has too many older and recycled concepts, which reflect what is found in the first nine movies. We have to get beyond clones, empires, emperors, stormtroopers, and Skywalkers. Its time to move beyond everything that has been recycled.

I love certain aspects of "Star Wars: the Old Republic", but its overuse of older concepts make it kind of boring. "Been there... done that" type of mentality. We will have to wait and see.

Edited by Linyivee

worse part is that they had just worked out the story line leading up to Ep3 for the Clone Wars. I kinda wondering if they are cancelling it so that they can get out of the Contract with Cartoon Network and bring it back under a different name on Disney XD or wth they are calling it these days.

According to what has been reported at StarWars.com, the animated series that takes the place of "Clone Wars" will not share the same era. I have a funny feeling it will revolve around the events, which take place between "Episode VI" and "Episode VII". Some have speculated that they are making a "Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic" series.

We will have to wait and see.

Edited by Linyivee

According to what has been reported at StarWars.com, the animated series that takes the place of "Clone Wars" will not share the same era. I have a funny feeling it will revolve around the events, which take place between "Episode VI" and "Episode VII". Some have speculated that they are making a "Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic" series.

We will have to wait and see.

I did read something about that...Personally hope it's something either WAY earlier in the Timeline (Founding of the Republic Era) or something in the Legacy period. Or a series set between the TOR and Battle of Ruusan era would been cool too.

Only semi-good thing I can say is that they might not wimp out once more and actually put some big-boy pants on and show Order 66.

They won't be showing that on the Clone Wars. The series isn't going into territory covered in Episode 3. The farthest you'll see it go would be Palpatine's "kidnapping" and Anakin and Obi Wan taking off after him in their ships.

I hope DIsney does a good job with whatever they release after this. Maybe even another cartoon which I could get behind.

i was hoping it would go on for a little while longer o well i really liked haveing a star wars tv series maybe there is hope for 1 in a different time peroid in the future who know

From the starwars.com website, "Lucasfilm has decided to pursue a new direction in animated programming. We are exploring a whole new Star Wars series set in a time period previously untouched in Star Wars films or television programming. You can expect more details in the months to come." So they are definitely developing a new animated TV series. Probably looking at either something between Episodes 3 and 4 (which would be awesome) or a Knights of the Old Republic era show. I doubt they'd touch post-ROTJ with Episode VII coming up.

They have more episodes to show. Also from the website, "While the studio is no longer producing new episodes for Cartoon Network, we're continuing production on new Clone Wars story arcs that promise to be some of the most thrilling adventures ever seen. Stay tuned for more information on where fans can soon find this bonus content." There's a pretty cool clip from an episode which alludes to Order 66. Probably either going to show each story arc as a special on Disney's tv channel or straight to DVD. Right now, they sell a lot of the story arcs that are 3-4 episodes long together on 1 DVD, almost like an animated movie. The Cartoon Network contract was a year to year contract so they weren't tied into anything for next season with the CN.

Link: A New Direction

While the studio is no longer producing new episodes for Cartoon Network, we're continuing production on new Clone Wars story arcs that promise to be some of the most thrilling adventures ever seen.

Stay tuned for more information on where fans can soon find this bonus content.

I bet the end of "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" will be seen on the Disney channel.

Edited by Linyivee

Well, I hope they keep the animation team to make future Star Wars stuff. If it's not the Clone Wars, Episode VII might give a lot of room for a new animated serious between Episode VII and VIII...

I love the The Clone Wars show.

Edited by Rabenschwinge

Sad to see it go, but also exciting to see it end.

This means we are going to see all the stuff we ahve been wanting to know, all the what will happens to __________? Will finally be answered.

Maybe, we will get a new series further along in the storyline and that would be awesome.

Now i can buy the whole series and put in in my video library right between episode 2 and 3, Over 50 hours already added to collection due to Clone Wars.

That's pretty sums up my thoughts. I would like see them finish it out with the last episode leading directly into ep2 tho.

My reaction to Disney, on behalf of EU fanboys everywhere:

Figures. Guess TCW was finally getting a little too good.

Now we may never know what happens to Ahsoka. :(

Ah well...who knows. Maybe in a few years they'll release a novel in which the Empire captures her during some foolhardy mission and she's kept in stasis, fighting a mental war with Palpatine. :mad:

So anyway, the series ends with Ahsoka walking away from the Jedi, feeling betrayed. Bet that'll mess with some kids' minds. :cool:

My reaction to Disney, on behalf of EU fanboys everywhere:

Figures. Guess TCW was finally getting a little too good.

Now we may never know what happens to Ahsoka. :(

Ah well...who knows. Maybe in a few years they'll release a novel in which the Empire captures her during some foolhardy mission and she's kept in stasis, fighting a mental war with Palpatine. :mad:

So anyway, the series ends with Ahsoka walking away from the Jedi, feeling betrayed. Bet that'll mess with some kids' minds. :cool:

you will still get to find out as they are going to release the episodes they have made for series six, just not as a tv show, most likely on dvd