How about "non-progression" expansions?

MurQueL

I was wondering if players would be interested in some future expansion/s to come out that would be purely focused on story content, on a new planet (or several), without any new levels or gear progression. Just pure story.

(of course this new planet/s could also later on have events/dailies and whatnot, and it's "tilesets" used for new Ops, FPs, or whatever)

We've had many "mechanics-centric" patches and whatnot. How about a big "story-exclusive" expansion? Imagine it's an optional "side-adventure" or somesuch, where the reward is the journey itself. Maybe some new adaptive gear rewards or similar. Would you pay for such a thing?

I would...

Footnotes:

(I don't want to express particular examples or ideas for such a concept. I have many, but it'd be a jumbled mess of random ideas and thoughts)

(I realize the word "progression" doesn't exactly work since you could say you'd be "progressing" your storyline, but whatever)

The only story content I'm really interested out of this game is CLASS story. And almost by definition that would have to be associated with level rise, because if it weren't, when the levels eventually DID go up, there would be this plateau of lots of story at one level that you either leave behind or level past as you try to do it.

I'm seriously disappointed enough with the addition of level content without the class story content, because if they do add more, there will be a significant disconnect.

I think they should always consider expanding lower level areas, because even experienced players will reroll new characters. The class storylines are great and fun. But there really needs to be some areas where you can just go and get lost, explore and find odd things. Hopefully Makeb is just the beginning to get the cap up to 55 and then if its successful they follow up with another e that has new lower levels etc.

There seems to be little reason to explore just to explore, there should be more random/rare loot that is just found by killing regular mobs. Otherwise its kind of pointless to do anything but grind flashpoints/pvp for gear and then just quest for exp.

There seems to be little reason to explore just to explore, there should be more random/rare loot that is just found by killing regular mobs. Otherwise its kind of pointless to do anything but grind flashpoints/pvp for gear and then just quest for exp.

What if in this said story-exclusive expansion, if you explore you could find, say, an event happening, or some kind of interesting character you might've otherwise missed or similar type of rewards?

Edited by MurQueL

The problem with wanting extra content is that there's only so much available money/time/effort with which to work. Putting time and money into developing more worlds to explore while leveling to 50(soon to be 55), means less time and money put into Elder Game content. Less time and money put into PVP content. Less time and money put into new gear, new mounts, new everything.

Just something to bear in mind.

Maybe. But not necessarily... It's true that time spent developing pure-story anything is time not being spent developing Elder Game content... However:

Consider the fact that Elder Game content is limited. Pure-story expansions, or even just every so often patch in new short series of pure-story missions on new areas of current planets (as someone mentioned above) would give something else to do in the meantime, while you wait out the week for your Ops unlocks.

"Progression" is more or less carrot on a stick feature. What does an extra 5 levels actually mean? They can add new content without a level grind attached.

There are a lot of features that can be added without adding levels or "progression" through stats or gear tiers or whatever.

Once gear upgrades aren't the sole focus of MMOs we can get some content diversity.

Totally got sidetracked by my rant so....

TLDR: moar story plox.

The Makeb expansion is new story.

This is true. But at the same (or near same) time they are adding 5 new levels and new gear, etc, in the form of the "2.0 patch" on the side...

What I'm suggesting is pure-story with no thought given to extra levels or anything to complement it. I'm saying "pure-story expansions" and nothing else...

Edited by MurQueL

Also, with creating new planets you can do it through all lvl ranges not just lvl 50. So make story content that can be done lvls 10-49 on these new content planets and that solves the issue of people having to go strictly to a bunch of planets they have already been on 100x. Would make for a way better lvling experience ^^ Oh hmmm. I want don't want to go to Tatooine... but wait... Manaan has a questline for 24-28 as well! Oh the choices.