Developer Update: Overview of the Planet Makeb

CourtneyWoods

Hi Costello,

I would disagree with the assertion that Imperial players' actions were pointless. While the Empire as a whole is in a tough position at the start of Rise of the Hutt Cartel, it's likely that they'd have been completely obliterated without the actions of the Imperial players who eliminated a number of massive threats both internal and external. Without the players, it would be impossible to act on the opportunities Makeb presents, and if the Empire is indeed going to strike back, it will only be accomplished through the leadership and battle prowess of the players.

I have to disagree with your conculsion unfortunately I will now have to move to the Spoiler Tab.

To Start With I will Work on Class Stories (as they are often the most fun and Important)

Sith Warrior, Story involves Killing Loyal Imperial Spies, Setting up a member of the Dark Council to kill him and then Killing Baras to restore the Might of an Insane Emporer. Good Chance Baras would have done a better job than a guy that moments later will be killed.

VS

Jedi Knight who kills Darths, defeats the Imperial War Machine and then Kills the Emporer.

Clearly the Knight wins and the Warrior kills his own side. Well done Empire really winning there.

Imperial Agent, Works for the Republic, works for a secret Organisation, Watches the Imperial Intelligence get disbanded and ends up with a black codex that appears to have no effect on anything ever again.

VS

The Trooper who defeats numerous Imperial threats and then helps retake an impreginable fortification on Corellia killing (or Capturing) an Important Moff.

Once again the Trooper is fighing for the republic (though mine gunned down senators and sold weapons and sacrificed anyone he could) and is a hero. The Agent spends most the time betraying the Empire to get a book that I have no idea what it was for.

In brief the Sorceror spends almost all the time looking for ghosts, gets sick, cures sickness kills a member of the Dark Council.

The Bounty Hunter spends all most all his time chasing bounties (ok not a shock) then finally kills a major republic target only after finding out his corrupt and then replaced by a better option for the republic.

As for the Core Worlds The Empire Wins on Taris, which has already been won in KOTOR and they just manage to keep it how it is. While the Republic win on Corellia (a massive industrial centre), Balmora (a massive Industrial centre), Quesh (a place of rare toxins), Balmora (the Empire spends the entire time freeing the Dread Masters who you then end up fighting how stupid can you get), Hoth (the empire state they can't hold it).

I can't even begin to see how the work of the Imperial players plays any point in any of the ToR story. You are quickly moving to a Mass Effect 3 or Dragon Age 2 story for the Imps which shows just how pointless anything they do is.

So I will be interest to see how keeping an Insane dead Emporer in charge or killing dark council members has been good for the empire and lead to Makeb.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Costello,

I would disagree with the assertion that Imperial players' actions were pointless. While the Empire as a whole is in a tough position at the start of Rise of the Hutt Cartel, it's likely that they'd have been completely obliterated without the actions of the Imperial players who eliminated a number of massive threats both internal and external. Without the players, it would be impossible to act on the opportunities Makeb presents, and if the Empire is indeed going to strike back, it will only be accomplished through the leadership and battle prowess of the players.

I was wondering do all the stories tie up for both sides? I mean Taris, Balmora, Corellia clearly do. One side acts then the other side does. However on Quesh the Empire seems to be played out before the reuplics due to where the Imperial leader is hold up but a slug I killed is still alive? Voss and Tatootine seems that both sides do the same thing so how can both stories happen? What I would love is if at lv 50 we could revist the planets and see the outcome of the world/class quests there.

What I was amazed at was in an MMO how much the story moves on. Always thought that an MMO is a lot like the SImpsons while you can have a massive effect on your story and what happens to you but you really have to leave the planets in the same state they started which explains why when you finish the battle is stil raging. Single handly defeating the empire forces and watching them flee doesn't work if when you go to hand in a quest there is still a full scale assult going on. In the same way I would have thought the war would not have started up and a cold war would have remainded in place through out the game to avoid sides winnig too much.

I do agree that the empire seemed to be on the losing end most of the time and most of the class stories for imps they seemed to battle themselves more than they fought anyone else. Often killing useful and good members of the empire. However look forward to Quesh and how the Sith Inqueisitor ends up there given his new role.

I think they've bitten off more than they can chew, personally.

No matter the class story, I always found arc 2 to be the weakest of them. Why? Because they try to cram the plot into 2.5 planets worth, and so can't really build a good story. Now, they're trying to cram a class story into one planet and almost half the levels.

I very much doubt it's going to work. And if this isn't bringing in new class stories, I wonder which forums the devs have been reading for feedback, because it's not these ones.

I have to disagree with your conculsion unfortunately I will now have to move to the Spoiler Tab.

To Start With I will Work on Class Stories (as they are often the most fun and Important)

Sith Warrior, Story involves Killing Loyal Imperial Spies, Setting up a member of the Dark Council to kill him and then Killing Baras to restore the Might of an Insane Emporer. Good Chance Baras would have done a better job than a guy that moments later will be killed.

VS

Jedi Knight who kills Darths, defeats the Imperial War Machine and then Kills the Emporer.

Clearly the Knight wins and the Warrior kills his own side. Well done Empire really winning there.

Imperial Agent, Works for the Republic, works for a secret Organisation, Watches the Imperial Intelligence get disbanded and ends up with a black codex that appears to have no effect on anything ever again.

VS

The Trooper who defeats numerous Imperial threats and then helps retake an impreginable fortification on Corellia killing (or Capturing) an Important Moff.

Once again the Trooper is fighing for the republic (though mine gunned down senators and sold weapons and sacrificed anyone he could) and is a hero. The Agent spends most the time betraying the Empire to get a book that I have no idea what it was for.

In brief the Sorceror spends almost all the time looking for ghosts, gets sick, cures sickness kills a member of the Dark Council.

The Bounty Hunter spends all most all his time chasing bounties (ok not a shock) then finally kills a major republic target only after finding out his corrupt and then replaced by a better option for the republic.

As for the Core Worlds The Empire Wins on Taris, which has already been won in KOTOR and they just manage to keep it how it is. While the Republic win on Corellia (a massive industrial centre), Balmora (a massive Industrial centre), Quesh (a place of rare toxins), Balmora (the Empire spends the entire time freeing the Dread Masters who you then end up fighting how stupid can you get), Hoth (the empire state they can't hold it).

I can't even begin to see how the work of the Imperial players plays any point in any of the ToR story. You are quickly moving to a Mass Effect 3 or Dragon Age 2 story for the Imps which shows just how pointless anything they do is.

So I will be interest to see how keeping an Insane dead Emporer in charge or killing dark council members has been good for the empire and lead to Makeb.

Well the storys of the warrior and knight is actually pretty decent combined.

When the knight story ends the warriors story takes over, so even though you think you kill the emperor you really dont, the warrior becomes his wrath and the emperor is recuperating. So basicly the warrior is the next step before the emperor returns.

How ever i see your point in the other quest lines, but consider that the inquisitor will be able to manipulate the council to go to war. I dont think overall our stories on imp side ends so bad.

Well the storys of the warrior and knight is actually pretty decent combined.

When the knight story ends the warriors story takes over, so even though you think you kill the emperor you really dont, the warrior becomes his wrath and the emperor is recuperating. So basicly the warrior is the next step before the emperor returns.

How ever i see your point in the other quest lines, but consider that the inquisitor will be able to manipulate the council to go to war. I dont think overall our stories on imp side ends so bad.

I thought this was the case myself with the mail at the end of the warrior story and some confusion as you finish up the companion quest for the Jedi Knight. But from what we have seen with the Dread Master quests

they went rogue because the Emporer is no longer there to keep them in line.

So the Emporer is either dead, as good as dead or and here is the crazy one actually alive and going to try and kill the entire galaxy. Cause bioware for some reason didn't want a realistic leader of the Empire but a cartoonish joke. Why they couldn't have used Grand Admiral Thrawn as the model rather than Mr. Burns when he tried to steal the Sun is beyond me and got to wonder what the writers were thinking.

'And when he planned to destroy the entire galaxy, he crossed that line between everyday villainy and cartoonish super-villainy' - Darth Baras about the Emporer

So I hope Makeb will bring back Intelligent Story and Imperial Victories so they don't continue the annoying trend of in-fighting and losing.

As for Quesh, the Moff that is giving the quests for the Empire is the last boss of the republic side. So its clear if the republic kill him then they have won and the republic story comes after the empire one. If someone has different views on how the Empire has been defeated on nearly every planet they go to love to see the logic behind it but I can't see it. You have to laugh to a degree that with the Jedi Knight Story the Republic sacks Dromund Kass and their strike team kills the Emporer. So even the Imperial Captial is lost by the end of the story.

I checked the FAQ for the new expansion and am missing a lot of info.

-Will the level cap be increased throughout the game or only those who bought the expansion?

**If the cap increase will only be available to those who bought the expansion; how does the effects of possible overpowering within PvP areas be countered?

-Will the new "Hutt" gear be bound to character or can you trade it?

-Will the Hutt expansion become available IN THE FUTURE for purchase in the Cartel Market like section X?