Recording Video

feefty

Well, you're discussing two different things, recording and streaming. Both are system intensive, so be forewarned.

To record, there are two main recording software(s) available. Fraps and Bandicam. Both have lifetime licenses for around 30 to 40 bucks. You simply set these programs up and record with the press of a button. The recorded video files are saved to a directory of your choosing and then you use video editing software to take it from there. For my videos I use Fraps and Sony Vegas, with about a total investment of 150 bucks.

If you're looking to stream however, this is the doozy. There are multiple things happening here. Your internet needs to support the ability to upload at a sufficient bandwidth to produce a quality image on Twitch. Your processor needs to be sufficient to encode video on the fly. Your videocard needs to be sufficient to capture. It is a very intensive process involving all aspects of your system. The two main software(s) for this is xSplit and OBS (Open Broadcast Software). I used xSplit for about a year and have been using OBS for about 2/3 months. OBS is by FAR (I can't stress this enough) a better program. Less system impact, more features, and it's completely free.

I use bandicam. I am very happy with it. The trial version gives you like 10 mins of segment time over the like 30 seconds of fraps.

I did purchase it and the cost is similar to fraps if memory serves.

I think BC is less space intensive as well on the output files.

Edited by Ravashakk

Preciate it guys will check out fraps see what I can make of it. Tried the 30 second trial version seems pretty easy to use. Hopefully will have some stuff up and running within the next few weeks.

Preciate it guys will check out fraps see what I can make of it. Tried the 30 second trial version seems pretty easy to use. Hopefully will have some stuff up and running within the next few weeks.

As someone stated above, recording is only part of what is needed to create a video. I don't know if bandicam splits files but I would assume it does just as Fraps does. Fraps splits files into 1 minute segments that need to be combined in another program. It's not as simple as record and upload.

I haven't created any videos since my WoW days so I don't know what changes have been made to the production software for some time but I used Sony Vegas, Corel Video Studio, and Cyberlink Power Director. Vegas and Power Director were the best with Power Director remaining on my PC to this day.

Once you get the editing software, producing the video is the key step in what kind of quality you end up with. http://www.youtube.com/user/HunterKayko has a bunch of very short videos I created as a quick test ( I think this was testing a new version of Sony Vegas) at the quality vs size of file. The name of the video is the encoding used and the description has the file size ***though to make the search simple, Mpeg4HD was the smallest video with fairly crisp 1080 video.***

Since I still have Power Director on my PC, I'll do a short video of that to see how efficient the encoding is on it this coming weekend but if I recall, it was comparable to Vegas.

Cates what kind of set up do you run? I can never get twitch to run a decent quality stream without greatly impacting my frame rate, I have a pretty good rig, i run a i7 3770k/6gbps SSD/nvidia 660ti, i am begging to think its my sub standard Canadian internets that runs at 4mbps up 45mbps down

Cates what kind of set up do you run? I can never get twitch to run a decent quality stream without greatly impacting my frame rate, I have a pretty good rig, i run a i7 3770k/6gbps SSD/nvidia 660ti, i am begging to think its my sub standard Canadian internets that runs at 4mbps up 45mbps down

Well, my connection just got upgraded actually. Now I have 150 MBps down, 20 MBps up. That's up from 55 down, 5.5 up. Apparently the tier of internet I buy got reworked and I get the free upgrade. Regardless, your internet should be sufficient for what you're trying to achieve. I basically run the same setup, except a 680 video card. In addition, the SSD shouldn't really make or break performance when streaming.

I guess I'd ask what streaming software you're using. xSplit is the old standard, but OBS is phenomenally better.

helped me a lot when setting up OBS, it's marginally out of date at this point, but 80% of the advice the guy gives is good, the rest is a bit of experimentation.

I recently got in touch with someone and they suggested MSI Afterburner because it is free and as a system check to see if game recording was something I'd want to do or not http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

I did try it out this weekend and had some fun with it. It is an overclocking tool but with screen recording capabilities. You can watch the video on how to set it up here

I then used Movie Maker(because it's free and I'm still learning what I like) to get started quickly without buying into software just yet. Lot of good programs out there it seems though. From this past weekend I created these two videos. I know I have some things to learn on editing but that wasn't what I did it for. I did it to see how it would handle and how easy/hard it was to use.

Feel free to check them out and ask any questions if you are interested in Afterburner. Good luck and look forward to seeing some of your videos.

Voss World PvP Event

PvP Basics

Edited by Master_Nate

yea when i record i use frapps, but cates showed OBS and I swear by it now for streaming. for simple editing i just windows movie maker, but for the CrAzY stuff I use Pinnacle Studio Edited by leijae

Well, my connection just got upgraded actually. Now I have 150 MBps down, 20 MBps up. That's up from 55 down, 5.5 up.

....................................... I hate you........................

You must not be from the US huh?

• 2 weeks later...