Laptop Hardware Q&A

Veilshatter

Specs of a Refurbished unit from Newegg im looking can I get a yay or nay?

General

Operating System

Windows 7 Home Premium

CPU Type

Intel Core i7-2630QM 2.0GHz

Memory Size

8GB

Hard Disk

750GB

Optical Drive

DVD±R/RW

Graphics Card

Intel HD Graphics 3000

Video Memory

Shared memory

CPU

CPU Type

Intel Core i3

CPU Speed

2630QM(2.00GHz)

CPU Support

6MB L3 Cache

Max Turbo Frequency 2.9 GHz

Display

Screen Size

17.3"

Wide Screen Support

Yes

Resolution

1600 x 900

Operating Systems

Operating System

Windows 7 Home Premium

Graphics

GPU/VPU

Intel HD Graphics 3000

Video Memory

Shared system memory

Graphic Type

Integrated Card

Hard Drive

HDD

750GB

Memory

Memory

8GB

Optical Drive

Optical Drive Type

DVD±R/RW

Communications

WLAN

Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1030;Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6150

Supplemental Drive

Webcam

Yes

Power

Battery

6 Cell Primary Battery, 48W

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Specs of a Refurbished unit from Newegg im looking can I get a yay or nay?

General

Operating System

Windows 7 Home Premium

CPU Type

Intel Core i7-2630QM 2.0GHz

Memory Size

8GB

Hard Disk

750GB

Optical Drive

DVD±R/RW

Graphics Card

Intel HD Graphics 3000

Video Memory

Shared memory

CPU

CPU Type

Intel Core i3

CPU Speed

2630QM(2.00GHz)

CPU Support

6MB L3 Cache

Max Turbo Frequency 2.9 GHz

Display

Screen Size

17.3"

Wide Screen Support

Yes

Resolution

1600 x 900

Operating Systems

Operating System

Windows 7 Home Premium

Graphics

GPU/VPU

Intel HD Graphics 3000

Video Memory

Shared system memory

Graphic Type

Integrated Card

Hard Drive

HDD

750GB

Memory

Memory

8GB

Optical Drive

Optical Drive Type

DVD±R/RW

Communications

WLAN

Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1030;Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6150

Supplemental Drive

Webcam

Yes

Power

Battery

6 Cell Primary Battery, 48W

Why get a refurbished one? :(

@csbieber

My guildie uses the desktop version of that card. It's fine but he says he'd try an NVIDIA 580/590 I think.

But yeah, those specs are nice.

Edited by Gaskarth

I am looking at getting a new laptop to run this game with so my wife can have her laptop back. I was looking at getting this laptop

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+17.3%22+Inspiron+Laptop+-+8GB+Memory+-+750GB+Hard+Drive+-+Black/4590243.p?id=1218493899249&skuId=4590243

Everything looks good to me except for the Intel HD graphics. I have searched and searched and cannot find any more information or specs on the card for this computer and without that info I cannot tell if it will run the game or not.

I am kind of burned because I have a Toshiba laptop that I purchased less than a year ago that has an Intel HD graphics card that cannot run TOR so I really need to know if this new computer will be able to run it. Thanks in advance for any help.

Everything looks good to me except for the Intel HD graphics. I have searched and searched and cannot find any more information or specs on the card for this computer and without that info I cannot tell if it will run the game or not.

My laptop has an i5-M450 with Intel HD graphics and it runs the game, but all the settings must be low or very low. I found the addition of the very low setting was very helpful for certain zones like Tatooine/Alderaan that are big loads. I just upgraded to 8G of RAM today (from 4G) and so far Alderaan seems quite a bit smoother. I can run it on high settings without shadows but it is quite laggy.

Hoping someone can offer some advice before I waste a lot of money...

I'll be working away a lot, so a laptop is needed.

How does this Alienware M18x look?

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 2860QM (2.50 Ghz, 8MB, 4C)

GRAPHICS CARD Dual 1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 560M SLI™

MEMORY 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 Dual Channel (4x2GB)

HARD DRIVE 1TB (2x500GB) Momentus XT Solid State Hybrid Raid 0 "Stripe" (7,200rpm) Dual HDD

LCD 18.4" (46 cm) WideFHD (1920 x 1080) WLED LCD

I could potentially spend more if needed, but I don't want to spend money just for the sake of it. If there are any glaring problems or bottlenecks, you'd really be helping me out by pointing them out.

Thanks!

Hoping someone can offer some advice before I waste a lot of money...

I'll be working away a lot, so a laptop is needed.

How does this Alienware M18x look?

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 2860QM (2.50 Ghz, 8MB, 4C)

GRAPHICS CARD Dual 1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 560M SLI™

MEMORY 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 Dual Channel (4x2GB)

HARD DRIVE 1TB (2x500GB) Momentus XT Solid State Hybrid Raid 0 "Stripe" (7,200rpm) Dual HDD

I could potentially spend more if needed, but I don't want to spend money just for the sake of it. If there are any glaring problems or bottlenecks, you'd really be helping me out by pointing them out.

Thanks!

If you are spending that much, I would get a proper SSD (Also hope you are getting 3D ;) )

People may tell you, don't get an Alienware, but don't listen to them, they are great.

Edited by Tekkoclarky

If you are spending that much, I would get a proper SSD (Also hope you are getting 3D ;) )

People may tell you, don't get an Alienware, but don't listen to them, they are great.

Thanks, appreciate the advice. As you can tell, i'm no expert.

How does this look (I basically just selected the more expensive Hard Drive)?

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 2860QM (2.50 Ghz, 8MB, 4C) edit

GRAPHICS CARD Dual 1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 560M SLI™ edit

MEMORY 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 Dual Channel (4x2GB) edit

HARD DRIVE 512GB (2x256GB) Solid State Drive Raid 0 "Stripe" Dual HDD edit

Regarding 3D, I don't see any reference to it on the site. Is that a function of the screen, or the graphics card?

Thanks!

Thanks, appreciate the advice. As you can tell, i'm no expert.

How does this look (I basically just selected the more expensive Hard Drive)?

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 2860QM (2.50 Ghz, 8MB, 4C) edit

GRAPHICS CARD Dual 1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 560M SLI™ edit

MEMORY 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 Dual Channel (4x2GB) edit

HARD DRIVE 512GB (2x256GB) Solid State Drive Raid 0 "Stripe" Dual HDD edit

Regarding 3D, I don't see any reference to it on the site. Is that a function of the screen, or the graphics card?

Thanks!

Is there an option for 1x256GB SSD Drive and 1x 500GB Drive 7200rpm (or bigger), that should be cheaper, I think and gives you more room. Only games that run as bad as SWTOR need an SSD.

The 3D option should be available when you choose LCD 18.4" (46 cm) WideFHD (1920 x 1080) WLED LCD.

I use a gateway nv55s09u that I got when best buy was running a sale. It has amd a6-3400m processor and 4 gigs of memory. I have not had any problems running the game and everything is set at highest specs. I have been pleasantly surprised by this budget laptop.

Weirdly, only the smaller 17.3 inch version is shown as being 3D capable, and that is only an option on lower end/less expensive systems. The M18 only has the 18 inch version listed.

This might be a regional thing, as I'm in the UK.

Thanks to both of you for the advice, i'll have a think before I spend any money.

As it stands now my computer sucks.

How badly?

-I can barely do Space Combat

-I can't even see any blaster bolts firing from the lag.:(

-Lightsabers are a slideshow. If I activate, then there is a jedi on my screen standing...2 seconds later lightsaber!:(

-PvP is impossible!

-Dialogues take forever to load and to take place. Even then it's a slideshow.

I actually stopped playing not because of bugs or broken PvP, but because my computer sucks.

When I started downloading the game, there was a message saying I did not have enough computer cores to run SWTOR (more on that later)

I need a computer badly! My current computer is a Windows Vista (roughly a 2008-2009 model.) I don't know anything about computer specs but I do know that I have a Celeron processor. From what I have heard this is a really ******ty processor...

I don't want to build a new PC because, frankly, I suck with machines and I cant afford something that expensive. I need to know from someone what is the best commerical laptop or PC to run SWTOR on. By commercial, I mean I can just walk into Best Buy and go to the computer aisle to find it.

If that is not possible, can anyone tell me if there are any decent gaming PC's or laptops. I kinda have fallen for Alienware but a lot of people seem to think otherwise.

Please SWTOR forums I need you! I want to play this game, I want to help my guild, I want to PvP and I want to enjoy this game! I just need a new computer! :(:(:(

My gateway NV55s09u works just fine with settings set at high. It was on sale at bestbuy in November for 349. That is not too much for laptop. You probably have to get it online now, but same price maybe even a little cheaper. I have enjoyed playin swtor on it.

Ok, I can barely run this game on low. The frame rate is choppy and it constantly lags. It's only a 4 year old laptop. My internet is not the problem... Here are my laptop specs:

-Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T900 @ 2.50GHz

-Ram: 3.00 GB

-Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS

-System type: 64-bit

What should I do? Update the graphics card if I can?

Hey all.

I have an Asus G74SX (link), basically all maxed out with 16gig ram etc, but it wont run swtor on high, it wont even run games like skyrim, Witcher 2 and even Mass Effect 2 on more than low/medium without lagging:S Anyone know if there's any tricks with this laptop etc to get it to actually work?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I tried posting this as Its own thread but the Mods dont let anyone make new threads about this stuff.

Ive been looking at laptops for a while now and I've found 2 that seem adequate for what I'm looking for, the reviews on them say there both relativley good for gaming and performance, but I don't really know what i'm looking at in Terms of specs, so I'm posting a link to a page that has a comparison of the 2.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=-1&IsNodeId=1&Description=lenovo%20IdeaPad%20Z570&bop=And&CompareItemList=-1%7C34-246-338%5E34-246-338-02%23%2C34-246-475%5E34-246-475-10%23

If you can't click it just copy and paste into the browser.

EDIT: Found an even better looking one for not much more.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834200423&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

Edited by DevonLoy

Ok, I can barely run this game on low. The frame rate is choppy and it constantly lags. It's only a 4 year old laptop. My internet is not the problem... Here are my laptop specs:

-Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T900 @ 2.50GHz

-Ram: 3.00 GB

-Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS

-System type: 64-bit

What should I do? Update the graphics card if I can?

Can you install more RAM? Going to 6G or 8G might help make your game less choppy.

EDIT: Also you might get some benefit from adding a USB memory stick to one of your USB ports and activating ReadyBoost on it (part of Windows).

Edited by sjmc

Hey I tried posting this as Its own thread but the Mods dont let anyone make new threads about this stuff.

Ive been looking at laptops for a while now and I've found 2 that seem adequate for what I'm looking for, the reviews on them say there both relativley good for gaming and performance, but I don't really know what i'm looking at in Terms of specs, so I'm posting a link to a page that has a comparison of the 2.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=-1&IsNodeId=1&Description=lenovo%20IdeaPad%20Z570&bop=And&CompareItemList=-1%7C34-246-338%5E34-246-338-02%23%2C34-246-475%5E34-246-475-10%23

If you can't click it just copy and paste into the browser.

EDIT: Found an even better looking one for not much more.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834200423&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

You are going to have a very difficult time (if not impossible) running a game like SWTOR with any kind of integrated graphics. You'll need to find one with a decent standalone graphics card to run on medium settings, and do keep in mind that despite using names identical to their desktop counterparts, laptop video cards that go by the same name do not perform identically. I would say they are about 30% slower on average.

You are going to have a very difficult time (if not impossible) running a game like SWTOR with any kind of integrated graphics. You'll need to find one with a decent standalone graphics card to run on medium settings
SWTOR will run with integrated graphics (I have a first generation Core i5). You are right, though, that it works best on "low" settings. I can run it on High (with no shadows), but only get around 5-10 fps.

• 5 weeks later...
Is there an option for 1x256GB SSD Drive and 1x 500GB Drive 7200rpm (or bigger), that should be cheaper, I think and gives you more room. Only games that run as bad as SWTOR need an SSD.

The 3D option should be available when you choose LCD 18.4" (46 cm) WideFHD (1920 x 1080) WLED LCD.

Unfortunately there is no LCD 18.4" with the AW 18X that has a 120hz picture...standard is 60hz, only the M17x has the 120hz for watching 3D

I have the 3rd Gen processors i7-3820QM (8MB Cache, up to 3.7GHz )

I have bought 2 AW18X, one with 2 500gig HDD and the other AW18x with 500gig + 64gig mSATA Boot Drive.

My AW's GPU are Dual AMD HD6990M CrossfireX and the other Nvidia GTX675 SLI

16gig of 1600mhz Ram

Both my laptops play SWTOR at MAX settings with shadows and get 79-89fps PVPing and 110fps doing Ops.

Alienware Laptops are the best constructed and last for years...yes, they cost money, but money well spent.

I recommend anyone to buy AW computers

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd post my laptop specs as it's pretty low end and might be useful to somebody wanting to play this game. Plus there might some something people with other lowend laptops may find useful.

Lenovo ThinkPad SL510

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2ghz

2 gb RAM

Mobile Intel GMA 4500MHD (GM45) graphics

Windows 7 Professional 32bit

Be aware, the game will look fairly ugly.

All minimum settings, No v-sync. You can get away with 1024x768 or 1366x768 if need be.

It works at that spec but not with brilliant performance. There's ways of boosting the performance. Run the game with minimal processes running in the background through Task Manager (end any processes you don't need, including explorer.exe - which you get back running again through the task manager by clicking 'New Task' and typing explorer.exe). Then you can adjust settings in your .ini file for your game configuration. To access:

C: Users/[your username]/AppData/Local/SWTOR/swtor/settings/graphics_mirror.ini

The folder is hidden. But if inside of your user folder (access from your C drive and not from the desktop) just add /AppData/ at the end of the address bar and you'll get inside (or just show hidden folders)

Change

Graphics_SpeedTreeDistance to 0.05 (this means it'll render the trees as a billboard at a close distance, meaning fewer polygons to render on screen)

Add:

Graphics_FarClipScale = 0.00500000149 (this is used for the draw distance, which SWTOR's settings lack, I've set this to be pretty close, but not so far you can't see anything - it'll be kind of like playing WoW with minimum draw distance)

Also, be wary of your anti-virus choice. I found Kaspersky Pure made the game run slow, luckily I was only using the trial as my old AV (Bullguard) ran out soon after I bought this game. Now I'm using ESET Internet Security and it doesn't hog the ram like Kaspersky.

Ideally you should be running this game on a better machine and there will still be some performance issues, but they don't stop the game from being unplayable, it doesn't stop me from ranking high as a healer (usually top 2) in PvP matches, it doesn't get my team mates killed in Flashpoints or Heroics nor does it mean I fall behind or do a sub-par job. The only unfortunate thing for me is I live in a small village where the internet sucks, so when it's peak time here, I get server lag, unfortunately, it seems the only way to fix that is to move to a more well populated area where your ISP is more likely to care. ;)

Ideally, you'll want a better computer, but if you're like me and your gaming laptop dies on you and you're not in a position for a replacement or repair or simply you just don't have the money for an upgrade just yet, this works as a good enough solution IMO.

But just because it works for me, it doesn't necessarily mean it'll work for you - so it's best to try out the trial first.

Laptop stats are the same as desktop stats, pick one that meets the system requirements and you will be fine.

On that note, I run the game on an 3 year old Gateway FX laptop, was top of the line of course when I bought it. Which runs the game just fine. Not top of the chart on the specs. I turn shadows off, but it runs great.

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/gateway-fx-p-7805u/4505-3121_7-33496191.html

this is the reason why you bought a prebuilt pc and didnt build it yourself.. this is complete misinformation.

I can highly recommend the HP Envy 15 - I7 2670QM (8cpu) / 8gig RAM / 750HDD 7200 / 7690M Radeon

Runs the game everything (AA included) on high except for Shadows (on low, off puts me off) @ 720p via HDMI to my 40" Bravia at 60 FPS (vert sync on - not sure what it could reach otherwise, probably bit higher).

Since i'm lazy I use GameBooster 3 to keep background apps at a minimum, and use SWTOR unleashed 3.0 which keeps the FPS at at least 40 FPS in the heartiest of Warzones/PvP/Fleet areas.

Shadows hate my laptop - they're fine outside, as soon as I hit a building though WAMP WAAMP.... 20 FPS no matter what.. running 12.4 Catalyst too.. so yeah, I have just risen above those pesky shadows and roll blob styles, 'jeah!! :D

Edited by ISTrick

• 2 weeks later...