Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Does sniper have any counter now?

JP_Legatus

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm on test and dueled a sniper with my PT. It was bad. I also watched him duel a ton of other classes. Snipers own face. They have the roll ability now as well, which helps them with melee types.

Mercs aren't looking great IMO. I can't think of any class that can easily take out a sniper in PTS. Its like trying to go after a scorpion. They are going to be the new kings of the hill.

Edited by MrSIlverSurfing

Complete ballocks. Concealment will dominate snipers as usually. It has A total of +17 stealth levels from talents. Add sneak +10 and a sniper will never detect concealment, even after stying in cover for 30s.

Those who say otherwise are simply uninformed. Stop this panic about snipers suddenly countering everything as it is not true.

Edited by NoTomorrow

I killed one 1v1 as a healer sage today. I don't think he was that good of a player though.

pfft. I can 1v1 most classes on my healer. that's meaningless though. it takes forever to kill someone on a healer, and that's not what you're doing with a healer in WZs. that said, it is fun to kill someone with only hammer shot. heh.

there are no hard counters to them

people claim LOS is a killer but any good sniper/gunslinger will simply leave cover and move.

rotations for keeping melee away are simple and become easier with 2.0

just like the people that claim that bubble stun is fine, people claiming LOS is a killer are the people who are trying to make sure they are able to keep themselves from meeting a nerf hammer.

all we are seeing right now is this class becoming the new FOTM with more and more in WZs.

i think simply making them interruptable while they are in cover would make me happy. that way when i do manage to get in close to one i can stand a chance of killing them before im knocked back all over again.

In the past, it was sniper > marauder, assassin > sniper.

With snipers now able to detect stealth and adding a roll to their arsenal, I don't see how sniper can lose to really much of anything.

Did I miss something here?

I believe the phrase "Rogues do it from behind" is appropriate.

people claim LOS is a killer but any good sniper/gunslinger will simply leave cover and move.

just like the people that claim that bubble stun is fine, people claiming LOS is a killer are the people who are trying to make sure they are able to keep themselves from meeting a nerf hammer.

all we are seeing right now is this class becoming the new FOTM with more and more in WZs.

i think simply making them interruptable while they are in cover would make me happy. that way when i do manage to get in close to one i can stand a chance of killing them before im knocked back all over again.

You obviously don't know how to use LoS then.

What class are you playing? You seem to have a lack of understanding how to use the tools at your disposal to beat a sniper.

Right now, as a combat sent, if I am able to get into melee range of a sniper without him noticing / targeting me, I win. If he sees me at 30m, he wins. I consider this a perfectly fine balance. But with the new 18m roll, this goes out for a toss. Earlier the best he could do to open gap was flashbang + run. Now, he just rolls 18m away from me. The roll breaks roots, so crippling throw won't work. Basically, this tips the balance completely in favor of the sniper.

As a sentinel, I have 2 choices for dealing with snipers now:

a> Only fight those foolish enough to position themselves close to walls / pillars

b> Spec focus and ignore snipers

Guess with the semi-buff to focus (who in the right mind buffs focus ?!) and the even more pathetic ramp up of watchman (watchman now needs 30 sec to ramp up), which one I am going to spec for PvP ?

Right now, as a combat sent, if I am able to get into melee range of a sniper without him noticing / targeting me, I win. If he sees me at 30m, he wins. I consider this a perfectly fine balance. But with the new 18m roll, this goes out for a toss. Earlier the best he could do to open gap was flashbang + run. Now, he just rolls 18m away from me. The roll breaks roots, so crippling throw won't work. Basically, this tips the balance completely in favor of the sniper.

As a sentinel, I have 2 choices for dealing with snipers now:

a> Only fight those foolish enough to position themselves close to walls / pillars

b> Spec focus and ignore snipers

Guess with the semi-buff to focus (who in the right mind buffs focus ?!) and the even more pathetic ramp up of watchman (watchman now needs 30 sec to ramp up), which one I am going to spec for PvP ?

Carnage got a CD reset on Gore, you can now get gore faster after a failed gore whch means your burst is no longer so easily handled. You got a 30m ranged ability for the first time. You got an execution ability proc.

Learn to use the tools at your disposal. Carnage is very decent against snipers. You just look for opportunities to maximize your chances. It's easy.

Also Pyro will no longer be so miserably murdered by snipers like before. In 1.7 when i see PT Pyros, i see free kills.

Edited by NoTomorrow

Carnage got a CD reset on Gore, you can now get gore faster after a failed gore whch means your burst is no longer so easily handled. You got a 30m ranged ability for the first time. You got an execution ability proc.

Learn to use the tools at your disposal. Carnage is very decent against snipers. You just look for opportunities to maximize your chances. It's easy.

Also Pyro will no longer be so miserably murdered by snipers like before. In 1.7 when i see PT Pyros, i see free kills.

I know what I got. Problem is, all my abilities (except the new one) are 4m range. Sniper rolls 18m, I need to move 14m to even begin to attack him. There is no way I am moving 14m against a good sniper before 70 - 80% of my health is gone. Can't use camo for this - it needs to be saved for the knockback. Unless twin saber throw oneshots targets in cover (one can hope :)), I don't have a chance in hell of winning this.

I know what I got. Problem is, all my abilities (except the new one) are 4m range. Sniper rolls 18m, I need to move 14m to even begin to attack him. There is no way I am moving 14m against a good sniper before 70 - 80% of my health is gone. Can't use camo for this - it needs to be saved for the knockback. Unless twin saber throw oneshots targets in cover (one can hope :)), I don't have a chance in hell of winning this.

You need only to walk a few meters and you are within 10m range to use your obfuscate and force scream. This is already good news. Obfuscate still works wonders on MM snipers. Yeah, he can use some tech attacks against you in the mean time but it's nothing scarry.

Your problem is that you cannot rely on saberward against snipers because they got target acquired to compensate for your higher defense.

However, you can gain a lot of information by looking at snipers, should they have a few CDs off, you are in a very good spot to take them. A carnage mara had trouble with Engineering, i taought him how to 1. Identify it, and keep an eye for them using EP+SoS on somebody else, once he learned about this window of opportunity he started to perform really well against them.

Against MM.. well let's just say MM is always ready to hit you with something hard. We got DPS abilities galore, especially in 2.0 FT proccing after basically everything. So yes, it's tough, but you must learn to predict the outcome of a duel against a sniper and maximize the odds in your favor.

That's something that concern me since i came back to swtor and realized snipers can't interupted anymore.

I mean why ? There is one scary shot that almost kills everything no matter what and it isn't interuptable except pushback/down (if he doesn't activate the shield) in huttball you can't do anything against them as a meele and as a range (sage for example) you dont have time for this silly sniper....

It's just a joke right now.

Anyway when im playing my sage i try to use LoS as best as i can and for example on alderaan they have no chance ok maybe they stun me once or twice if they come to me or something but in the end he/she dies...

But still on huttball there is nothing realy to use for LoS and their immobiles are quite long.

Even a smasher or stunbubble isn't as annoying as a sniper is. I think it's ok if he have a lot of deffcds cuz he can't realy move but still not interruptable makes him to strong. You can't interupt anything but still u want to interupt his dps phase for once i mean u get 2-3 shot anyway.

Without LoS there is nothing you can do and meele are victims that to be said.

Edited by cybernoise

You really are a persistant defender of your class.

That is interesting:rolleyes:

No matter in what version of the game, the sniper always has been a class dependent on his team to peform well. Give me a marauder that can keep the enemy's attention on himself and i will rack up kills. The class was never overpowered, it's our team mates that help in peforming our job.

You obviously don't know how to use LoS then.

I never said i had a problem killing them, im simply indicating what i do when people attempt to LOS me on mine. its really not hard to move to another position especially with the 2.0 roll.

LOS get killed with it and any good sniper will position themselves to minimize the hazards of LOS.

its was a cute try though pretending its a hard counter.

maybe you can come up with something better next time kthx

Sorcerer/ sage of equal equiptment and skill "should" beat sniper every single time

In case you have not figured it out the pvp in this game when all things are equal is rock paper scissors

The tricky part which confuses so many is equipment and skill are almost never exactly equal

So each player has his/her own paradigm of over and under powered classes-

since the equipment or skill or Internet connection or just plain crappy PC could "never be the reason" said players are losing in PVP - *sarcasm off:eek:

Edited by Part_Time_Hero

focus was hit with a nerf with 2.0 not a buff... for the guardians/juggs at least.

Focused Resonance / Dark Resonance now gives max 15% surge down from 30%.

so no more 110% surge rating smash/sweeps roflstoming snipers into the dirt when you get close to them.

You need only to walk a few meters and you are within 10m range to use your obfuscate and force scream. This is already good news. Obfuscate still works wonders on MM snipers. Yeah, he can use some tech attacks against you in the mean time but it's nothing scarry.

Your problem is that you cannot rely on saberward against snipers because they got target acquired to compensate for your higher defense.

However, you can gain a lot of information by looking at snipers, should they have a few CDs off, you are in a very good spot to take them. A carnage mara had trouble with Engineering, i taought him how to 1. Identify it, and keep an eye for them using EP+SoS on somebody else, once he learned about this window of opportunity he started to perform really well against them.

Against MM.. well let's just say MM is always ready to hit you with something hard. We got DPS abilities galore, especially in 2.0 FT proccing after basically everything. So yes, it's tough, but you must learn to predict the outcome of a duel against a sniper and maximize the odds in your favor.

I know plenty well how to take on snipers. If I have all my CDs and the sniper doesn't, of course I win. If its reverse, of course he wins. My point is, right now, 1 v 1, what primarily determines the outcome of the encounter is the engaging distance. If we engage at 30m distance, I lose big time. If I can engage him at melee range or with a sniper positioned close to a wall / pillar (favorite snipers are those who try to solo guard mid in civil war from the balcony - easy kills :)), I will win. With the roll, this completely changes in favor of the sniper. Basically, it makes something which is hard enough (getting close to a sniper while maintaining LOS etc) practically impossible (now you have to do it twice !).

Using blade storm without precision + combat trance is a waste, both of which require melee range. If I waste obfuscate / saber ward on just closing the gap, by the time I close the gap and actually start doing some damage, half my defensive CDs are gone, while the sniper has not used a SINGLE cd. And any sniper worth his salt will follow up roll with a root, so closing that 4m to even use obfuscate will be a pain.

Basically, I have to hope that the sniper's roll makes him roll up against a wall / pillar. Else I die.

focus was hit with a nerf with 2.0 not a buff... for the guardians/juggs at least.

Focused Resonance / Dark Resonance now gives max 15% surge down from 30%.

so no more 110% surge rating smash/sweeps roflstoming snipers into the dirt when you get close to them.

Yeah. Which is why I called it a semi-buff. Take a look at the skill tree. Surge buff down 15%, which actually translates into a 7% damage loss on smash (I am not sure how much surge will be possible with new DR curves, so this might go up to 10%). And stasis no longer gives singularity. These are the nerfs. The damage nerf is actually pretty low. The big nerf is the stasis one. On the other hand, exhaustion now ticks faster, so you can smash faster. And you do more damage while waiting for sweep to come off CD.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.