M1-4X tanking

mikethemad

You must have a different forex then me then, because even in purples and blues he's lucky not to be killed by a strong mob much less an elite.

He does occasionally die, but the elite is down to a few% health by then unless I've been very unlucky with crits.

Maybe your damage is the problem :p you are avoiding alacrity, right? ;)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He does occasionally die, but the elite is down to a few% health by then unless I've been very unlucky with crits.

Maybe your damage is the problem :p you are avoiding alacrity, right? ;)

I focus on aim, power, crit, and surge.

I can solo champions with Dorne as gunnery, forget that with forex.

Wait...what? This is the LAST thread I ever thought I would see. o_o

My Commando is full-heal, and I went Cybertech for the express reason of crafting my tanky droid his gear. I have him outfitted in blues with high defense, and the two of us can EASILY roll through a same-level heroic 2-man with no problems. We don't burn them down as fast as two DPS classes might, but between my Advanced Healing Probe's armor buff, his Flameguard, and the 10-charge HoT I can drop on him I only have to spend a bit of the fight actually healing.

As soon as I got Forex, I haven't even looked at the other companions. Plus, his personality os awesome!

Edited by Maniacal

Im just curious I outfitted my droid in complete blues with the exception of the integrated blaster - however the mods are upgraded.

Now Im not an expert but some of you guys are making claims that 4X does NOT take much damage. Im afraid he does

I would love to use 4x as this char is awesome.

Could a COMMANDO Healer that is actually playing A commando not you guys that go around making unsubstantiated claims post your droids armor and perhaps a level 33 spec.

I use that level as that is the level that I am in now. I use Dorn now mostly as it just seems easier but would prefer to use 4X.

I am a cybertech that can make or change my current droids armor - however as I stated above it is all blue except for the integrated blaster which is moddable and that is upgraded--

You see some ofj us play gunnery and dont have a clue on the mechanics of how you achieve the above claims. Perhaps an insight on it

Cheers,

Avikall

You don't need to be a Combat Medic to make Forex rock. Nor a Cybertech. Though Cybertech makes keeping him geared a lot easier.

Anyways, I rocked and rolled with Forex from 25-50. I was Gunnery spec. Took on strongs easily. Elites were always close, usually done to wire with him deactivating right when they died but I lived on too kill them no problem.

I was actually hating my Commando in the early 20's. Couldn't stand having to tank enemies while I killed them. But, once I got Forex and learned to control him correctly, it was awesome.

Just 2 add my 2 cents. I'm level 50, and strongly considering trading in Gunnery for Combat Medic, and I'm currently decking out 4X.

There is a daily repeatable on Belsalvis you can do whose reward is a level 50 orange weapon for one of your companions. (One listed for each, you choose one each day.)

I have also found Orange Motors, Parts, and Sensor Units as I leveled up via Specialty good vendors and commendation vendors. That means he has 6 slots worth of orange gear I can mod. Leaving only his offhand, implant, and ear piece slots.

I want to do a few more dailies so I can buy enough armor mods, but my M1 is going to be beast by the time I'm done.

NOW, ALL OF THAT BEING SAID...

...I FRIGGIN HATE HOW BIG HIS HIT BOX IS, AND BIOWARE SHOULD REALLY SHRINK IT DOWN SO I CAN CLICK ON OTHER THINGS.

Edited by Freeborne

4X is great. As ranged he is the perfect tank. I stand near him and any agro I pull he picks off of me within seconds. I have switched back and forth between him and Vic and have settled on 4X because of the ability to initiate from range. The extra closing distance means I get to DPS without 4x taking damage. Great companion. Tanks well at 50s for

+2 runs.

4X is a good tank. He can tank mobs who is 3+ more lv than me just fine while i half/half heal/dps the elite mob down. If u worry too much about range, then before u pull u press ctrl+1 to order him to attack then you charge in urself. This way, he will pull the first mob (preferably melee) to him whom is on your back (because u already run forward). This way u dont use much downtime to stand-attack.

Good thing on using tank companion with u as healer is that, u can just tab to toss him free bacta and 10proc shield, and doesnt even have to heal him. Just collect 30stacks then fire charged shots, toss bacta+shield, frost grenade, collect 30 stacks rinse repeat.

Easy as hell.

Edited by Tajz

• 1 month later...
...I FRIGGIN HATE HOW BIG HIS HIT BOX IS, AND BIOWARE SHOULD REALLY SHRINK IT DOWN SO I CAN CLICK ON OTHER THINGS.

Agreed! I really enjoy using him to tank for me, but trying to click anything else at all is such a pain! :/ I usually end up just staring at the ground when I need to click something else.

Droids are kinda meh until you gear them up later. Even the Jedi's T7 is the same way. Starts out good cause he's your first, then gets neglected, later when you might need him, there aren't any droid parts save those you get from commendations, and most people have spent those on their gear already....

Once you gear him up he's pretty good, minus the tow cable...

I've been switching between Vic and Dorne. I use Dorne for like 99% of the encounters, and Vic for those few and far between where Elara's healing just can't keep up w/ the damage. Then I use Vic, and pretty much just send him on a suicide run while I go through ammo like a drunk on a bender.

• 2 weeks later...
Would you still make that suggestion to CM's? We're Commandos too! :cool:

Yes. I tried heal spec along with cybertech and even with being able to make armor for M1 he usually had less armor than me. He has absolutely no advantage over a DPS or healer companion at all.

he is not a bad tank he just comes with some terribad gear...get him some blues and he will cease to take any damage

I'll repeat, even equipping him completely with crafted blues the best you can hope for is for him to have about the same armor as a commando healer. The only difference between doing your own tanking and letting M14X do it is that with M1 you kill slower. There's never any circumstance where he is worth using, period. Back when they nerfed tank companions they drastically overdid it, to the point where they're the same as any other class that can wear heavy armor. As a trooper, you have a healer and a DPS that wear heavy armor. Either one is an equal tank and superior in other ways.

Edited by Game-Hermit

Yes. I tried heal spec along with cybertech and even with being able to make armor for M1 he usually had less armor than me. He has absolutely no advantage over a DPS or healer companion at all.

I'll repeat, even equipping him completely with crafted blues the best you can hope for is for him to have about the same armor as a commando healer. The only difference between doing your own tanking and letting M14X do it is that with M1 you kill slower. There's never any circumstance where he is worth using, period. Back when they nerfed tank companions they drastically overdid it, to the point where they're the same as any other class that can wear heavy armor. As a trooper, you have a healer and a DPS that wear heavy armor. Either one is an equal tank and superior in other ways.

Yeah he has about the same armor. Then he has a shield, damage debuff, armor buff, your armor buff from heals, taunt, good AE damage, and when he is tanking I suffer no pushback from supercharged charged bolt beat down. If you know how to use him your damage + 4x will exceed any dps pet's contribution on top of yours. Geared 4x is still the way to go imo for a healer.

Edited by Aaoogaa

M1-4X is an awesome tank and companion. Often times he is better than having an actual tank depending on how well you play.

With every pet, you need to take control of their abilities. AoE's, charges, grapples, etc...

Hardly use 4X, maybe once in a while just for a novelty. But found him only better than C2-N2 (does anybody use him?). Plus he blocked too much of the screen.

Lvl 45 Combat Medic and I prefer Dorne. Probably raises a few eyebrows with that combo but with carbonized steam in full swing she is really handy and between us we rarely die with the mega heals we both pump out. Ok she doesn't deal out the damage like 4X, Jorgan, Vik or Fly Head, and fights take longer but sweet as. Charged bolts is superb so in between healing each other I let those loose, they hit hard enough.

Find it really enjoyable to be a full medic but with Dorne you are forced to play differently to how you might with 4X, or the other 3, or in a flashpoint/heroic/tough mission with other players.

Edited by Gannacus