Cathar Coming in 2.0?

Gaff

Just for the record I dont want a cat man, all I want is to waste 15 bucks or what ever they cost so I might get a species I do want to play Kel'dor, Gran or Trandoshan.

Hate to break it to you, but $15 isn't going to cover the development cost of a new species, lol. They have already said that the addition of future species will depend on how well the "cat people" sell. So you better hope there are other people out there who want to play a "cat man" or you probably won't be seeing any other species added to the game including your lasagna-faced man, three-eyed goat man or lizard man. Personally, I think the species unlock for Cathar will be very popular and they'll realize that the cost/benefit of adding other species will be very favorable.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and the furries start coming

If you're on some mission to prove to the world you aren't a furry that's your problem, but you're not doing a very good job. Overcompensation is a tool employed by the guilty.

As for me, I'm excited for the Cathar. It means more options for players which is ALWAYS GOOD, it's easy to implement since it's already in-game, and if successful we'll start seeing other races as well.

Edited by eldefail

Is there anything special about the Cathar that explains why they're taking so long to develop?

They're just alien heads on the same human body, right? Like every other race in the game?

It seems like it'd be easy for Bioware to crank out humanoid races since they share 90% of the same assets.

Is there anything special about the Cathar that explains why they're taking so long to develop?

They're just alien heads on the same human body, right? Like every other race in the game?

It seems like it'd be easy for Bioware to crank out humanoid races since they share 90% of the same assets.

Well, remember that all those heads will have to have lots of different hair, eyes, mouths, facial hair and complexions - and all of them will have to mesh seamlessly (or as close as possble) with both each other and the current gear ....... without clipping.

It's a lot of work.

Also - whenever I see the name Cathar, I always read Cat Hair. And now you will too.

Well, remember that all those heads will have to have lots of different hair, eyes, mouths, facial hair and complexions - and all of them will have to mesh seamlessly (or as close as possble) with both each other and the current gear ....... without clipping.

It's a lot of work.

Also - whenever I see the name Cathar, I always read Cat Hair. And now you will too.

Actually whenever I see the name Cathar, I hear my drunken 80 year old aunt trying to say the name of that lame newspaper comic strip Cathy.

I would like to know this too. What are they doing which is taking so long. The Cathar we have seen so far are bald humans, with pointy ears and tiger face paint. How could this possible take more than a year to come out. Are they doing something other than slapping a tiger face over a human body?

I would like to know this too. What are they doing which is taking so long. The Cathar we have seen so far are bald humans, with pointy ears and tiger face paint. How could this possible take more than a year to come out. Are they doing something other than slapping a tiger face over a human body?

Probably you have answered your own questions already.

Apparently they do not want to turn the cathar into bald humans with interestig face paint.

Apparently they are not slapping a tiger face on a human body either.

Apparently they want new voice recording done for the Cathars, which means at least 16 voice actor recordings, cleaning up, coding and so on.

Also... It just may be that they are busy with other things? Like transition to f2p, the cartel market, an entirely new planet and all the story lines for that?

And of course somebody will have to go through all the bazillion lines of text already in the game and see if any of them conflicts with the new species. And we already know that some of the lines will have to be changed. E.g. when romancing Aric Jorgan when marriage comes up he will discuss how children are impossible. Which is no longer true if your female trooper happens to be a Cathar. So... new lines need to be written and recorded by the original voice actor. Code needs to be written so the game can substitute a different line of text when your character happens to be a cathar at that particular point of conversations.

Nothing terribly difficult but simply time consuming, and with staff slashed below the minimum to appease the bean counters developer time has to be carefully budgeted.

So .. as usual the situation is more complicated than it at first appears to laymen like you and me, and things may take more time than we in our ignorance think.

<snip>

Apparently they want new voice recording done for the Cathars, which means at least 16 voice actor recordings, cleaning up, coding and so on.

<snip>

I am curious to know where you heard/read this?

I haven't seen anything saying they want to do new voices. Which they probably won't either, as the classes have their specific voices already. The only reason they'd have "new" voices would be because it is a species that have different voice pitches or effects, like the Kel Dor with their masks. Even then it is only a voice filter they add.

I just hope I can play my Cathar Jedi before the next E3

Well I just got my answer now right. Early Summer.

I wonder if they'll announce the Cathar at E3 2013???

Shouldn't they be a bit ashamed announcing it 2 years in a row??

Personally, I think the species unlock for Cathar will be very popular and they'll realize that the cost/benefit of adding other species will be very favorable.
As if that wasn't obvious enough already... Don't really understand why they need to "wait and see" when they've been waiting a lot longer than they should have to deliver content. But whatever, I'm happy with my human chars. Don't think I'd make a Cathar character even if I had the option but I'm sure people want this pretty badly. I mean, just look at the forums ;).

It's a lot of work.

Absolutely. I mean, look at our current PCs. Lots of different hair, eyes, etc, and none of them clip with gear! :rolleyes:

I just hope that, unlike the Sith race, each body type has more than one face that I just attach dangly bits to.