The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Alts as companions

Sounds cool in theory, but I would imagine the tech behind it would be extremely difficult. Probably not worth it.

Also, there are pretty big implications for this in leveling. For example, would I be able to make my Dread Guard main the companion for all my level alts? Would he keep his level and gear? That would basically break leveling.

Also when RotHC comes out, could I take my Campaign geared DPS and make him my Dread Guard tank's companion and destroy 50-55? Would that level up both characters or just the main?

Edited by Icebergy

all companions are basically limited versions of the classes anyway. It could work if you just took the character you want as a comp and placed their 'skin' over a companion template. So say I want to use my Shadow alt. Just make a customization kit that you can apply to Nadia. The companion functions the same, just looks like your alt. Take it a step further and have the game give you a custom companion that uses one of the comp templates but looks like your alt.

example: vanguard trooper alt uses Lt. Iresso template, JK guardian alt uses Lord Scurge template, smuggler scoundrel alt uses Theran Cedrax template, etc.

all companions are basically limited versions of the classes anyway. It could work if you just took the character you want as a comp and placed their 'skin' over a companion template. So say I want to use my Shadow alt. Just make a customization kit that you can apply to Nadia. The companion functions the same, just looks like your alt. Take it a step further and have the game give you a custom companion that uses one of the comp templates but looks like your alt.

example: vanguard trooper alt uses Lt. Iresso template, JK guardian alt uses Lord Scurge template, smuggler scoundrel alt uses Theran Cedrax template, etc.

Love this idea!

They had this in a game called Phantasy Star Portable 2 infinity ( japan only release ) , yes it is a handheld mmo and a very very good one to boot. You could basically take an alt as an npc ( companion ) with you on missions. It just took a snapshot of your level , weapons and clothing. You could also take this snapshot of friends characters too. Also if you changed the look of your current alt/character then you could take the snapshot again and have the new look , new weapons etc. Shame the b****y game didn't get a western release.

I agree with this idea.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Sounds cool in theory, but I would imagine the tech behind it would be extremely difficult. Probably not worth it.

Also, there are pretty big implications for this in leveling. For example, would I be able to make my Dread Guard main the companion for all my level alts? Would he keep his level and gear? That would basically break leveling.

I agree some sort of ability to prevent this abuse from happening would be required. I think the HK-51 is a prime example that's still not working as planned.

MAYBE.. simple work around is only LEVEL 50's can use an ALT (Any level) instead. Oh yeah.. make LEGACY 25 a requirement as well to unlock this feature. (Might as well get some benefit from legacy tree that is not used). Some of the technical issues that would come up would be Relics not working (Since Companions don't have) and most likely some of the benefits from Set Bonus and such. (Since they don't really have them very wll for Companionns).

as said above, each class and ac would have a different skill set... maybe even add the skill tree in that... meaning, your alt comp would have 3 sets of skills, one for each tree... very limited of course, but the main would be there (tank, heal, dps...)

I would say you couldn't customize the equips... maybe only something there to choose between skill trees...

for lower levels, maybe just bolster the comp to your lvl (in other words, either up or down)

btw: this should be an legacy perk for a relly high lvl legacy and high creds need with no CC alternative... reward who plays!

That's exactly how to make it work ~ Heal spec sage/sorc is the only build that can't be approximated by an existing companion ~ so they have to write a new companion AI for that.

Overall the feature would be awesome - I'd love to do dailies backed up by an alt.

There are 3 major issues

1. transfer of bound gear between your toons while they are being used as alts

2. breaking leveling

3. companion dialog in conversations

The solutions for those are not what we want to hear

1. Your alt will only be there in appearance, but it will use the gear stats from the companion it is standing in for. So no soloing H4's with your rakata geared alt as a companion with a toon that just dinged 50.

EDIT ~ not sure if this would be game breaking.

2. Same solution as for problem 1.

EDIT ~ scratch that ~ somebody mentioned Bolster that would be a great solution to the leveling problem.

3. conversations would proceed as though you didn't have a companion summoned. ~ this is the only reason why a simple custom "customization kit" wouldn't be the best way to implement this.

Edited by Cleet_Xia

I have wanted this since before release, might even have posted it in suggestions, along with many others. I still want this, but I feel it unlikely to happen for the reasons already mentioned.

Maybe something more possible would be "Legacy missions", where an alt becomes an NPC quest giver. And fights alongside you thru the quest.

I think it was a Trooper quest which started with all of your companions boarding an enemy vessel en masse and briefly fighting as a team.Imagine running a mission as a jedi sage with all companions out whilst your own Havoc squad were running alongside as support. Maybe have your Sith crew as the bad guys.

It would have to be instanced obviously but 2 alts and all companions is still less than a raid so the engine should be able to cope.

Im not saying i want to replace raiding with solo play but i imagine some epic battles would happen.And it would be an alternative to raids, PvP,questing. Could be a legacy lvl 50 reward, 4 quests per faction. Rewards, iconic armour designs,empty orange shells.Not available in store or anywhere else.

Also when RotHC comes out, could I take my Campaign geared DPS and make him my Dread Guard tank's companion and destroy 50-55? Would that level up both characters or just the main?

Plus, what would happen to the Alt that is being used as a Companion when the Character you are on levels up? Also, it would require them to revoice every Conversation in the Game.