Why on earth is Tatooine not an OPEN WORLD?

Stiler

I just got to Tatooine at lv 25, just unlocked my vehicle and though "man, no more taxi's for me!"

So I leave out of the first town you arrive at, going toward the quest area, only to have my vehicle suddenly VANISH under my feet then having my character walking with a huge red flashing "EXHAUST ZONE".

So can someone explain, why a planet like tatooine, which is a LAND based planet/area, that it's made so that you MUST use taxi's to get to different cities and you can't actually travel in the OEPN PART of the world? I mean, when other planets are open and fine (Taris...Tython, etc) I don't see the reasoning here why the desert outside of cities on Tatooine are somehow made to be blockoed off from your own vehicle/feet?

The design choice just baffles me, iI mean the cities aren't even tht far apart either compared to other planets.

It's like the freaking sands are some Taxi substance to only your vehicle and you have to us ea taxi instead.

People have complained about Taxi Subsidies on Tattooine for centuries. Ever since the Hutts unionized the taxi services, it's had one of the most powerful lobbying forces in Tattooine politics. Rumors have also always persisted that hoverbike salesmen are threatened into sabotaging the cooling systems of their vehicles just to keep their families safe from the Hutts. Edited by Wager

you drove off the the side of the map into the exaust zone.:eek: I know the map should be the size of a real planet and yadda yadda but it really has to stop somewhere and putting up walls would look silly. Even in wow you cant go too far out in the water without exaustion its the same thing. ;)

People have complained about Taxi Subsidies on Tattooine for centuries. Ever since the Hutts unionized the taxi services, it's had one of the most powerful lobbying forces in Tattooine politics. Rumors have also always persisted that hoverbike salesmen are threatened into sabotaging the cooling systems of their vehicles just to keep their families safe from the Hutts.

love it!

you drove off the the side of the map into the exaust zone.:eek: I know the map should be the size of a real planet and yadda yadda but it really has to stop somewhere and putting up walls would look silly. Even in wow you cant go too far out in the water without exaustion its the same thing. ;)

This!!!

Tat is open world. Spent close to 10 hrs on that planet driving around in my own speeder. Took 1 taxi while there but you went off the edge of the map mate, no drama, no worries.

I don't think you're to Tatooine yet, or you just haven't tried, but from Anchorhead to the first speeder taxi point out in the desert, there is a large expanse of exaust zone. It doesn't even clear on the map hexes. I tried to take the rough "road" out of Anchorhead on my speeder, I mean I can see the town in the distance, it's probably just a minute of straight speedering so no big deal right? Yeah dismounted and died about a quarter of the way in.

Like another poster said, looks like it was made to keep PVPers from ravaging the "starting area".

People forget that SWG had a random terrain generator that would autofill the world you traveled. so they put a few landmarks in, said its this many miles x/y/z and allow looping. and you have a whole planet to travel. This game the worlds are all modeled it will be more confined it has to be.

?Others have already said it, but it's to protect the primary towns on both sides, Imps and Republic, OR driving to the edge of the map, it's the only place I've experienced this at other than that the planet is still absolutely huge.

So can someone explain, why a planet like tatooine, which is a LAND based planet/area, that it's made so that you MUST use taxi's to get to different cities and you can't actually travel in the OEPN PART of the world? I mean, when other planets are open and fine (Taris...Tython, etc) I don't see the reasoning here why the desert outside of cities on Tatooine are somehow made to be blockoed off from your own vehicle/feet?

I didn't get the 'dangerous environments' tutorial popup until I got to Tatooine

If you read the tutorial it says that some areas are dangerous and can lead to death. Some of these areas are desert. It makes sense that you're limited on this planet since wandering too far can lead to, I don't know, death maybe?

People forget that SWG had a random terrain generator that would autofill the world you traveled. so they put a few landmarks in, said its this many miles x/y/z and allow looping. and you have a whole planet to travel. This game the worlds are all modeled it will be more confined it has to be.

Well that and SWG was a true sandbox MMO. Everything about it - which is also why the world was just "open" to do whatever you want wherever you want knock yourself out. The purpose was not to limit the player, or at minimize any limitations.

SWTOR is very much a thempark MMO which does a lot of breadcrumbing and forced progression limiting a lot of what you can or cannot do - including exploration.

Not necessarily bad, just a property of the style is all.

Not to be contrary, but this is not true... at all. Tatooine and all the planets in SWG had fixed geographies.

If you got to the edge of the map, there was either insurrmountable terrain or you ran with your face in an invisible wall...

There was not looping from top to bottom of maps in SWG...

Edited by pjskull

Well that and SWG was a true sandbox MMO. Everything about it - which is also why the world was just "open" to do whatever you want wherever you want knock yourself out. The purpose was not to limit the player, or at minimize any limitations.

SWTOR is very much a thempark MMO which does a lot of breadcrumbing and forced progression limiting a lot of what you can or cannot do - including exploration.

Not necessarily bad, just a property of the style is all.

yep. one has content, the other requires you to have a deep imagination to create your own.

Edited by zeroburrito