Gender Change Option

Lent_San

I'd like an option to change the gender of my toon and I'd definitely pay an appropriate amount of money for it.

It could/should reset all current romances as well, if that doesn't come as a seperate option.

Well, I've started playing my first char as a female and leveled a Consular to 50. I had her romance Iresso, all good and well, but I'm really just not into female toons.

If I could change her gender and start out fresh and unromanced, so to speak, that would be great.

MaleConsular could then pursue a romance with another companion/NPC, Nadia for instance. A fresh start, companionwise.

Possible methods of implementation:

• purchase a token from the Cartel Market
  • once redeemed, you get to choose the appearance from, say, 5 pre-made character models of the other gender
  • for further customization a barber shop would be preferable
  • the previous romances would be nullified, without necessarily losing affection with any of your companions

So I'd like to suggest an option for that in the Cartel Market. Thanks a lot.

Edited by Lent_San

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Options like this, for post creation customization, should be available in an MMO these days anyway. You could have them as separate options on the Market and/or bundle them in a pack as well. Having distinct items that change gender, species, physical aspects (body type, face, skin color etc.), hair and make-up, would make it cheaper for the buyer (not having to buy an entire make over just because you want to change your hair, for example).

With the exception of romances, gender does not affect the story in anyway, and if the changing of gender resets the conversation line (but not the affection level, that's a separate thing) for romance companions only is possible, then there's no reason not to have it. Throw out the gender restrictions on clothing while you're at it and we have a winner.

Edit: I'd change my female Chiss Mercenary into a male one, mostly because I don't like her face and would like another semi-naked man armed with guns at my disposal.

Edited by Tatile

When Makeb arrives you will only have sgr options with NPCs. Companions will be later on, but you probably won't see any SGR with current companions. I would not hold my breath for them. Expect new companions in a larger expansion that can be romanced by the same gender. Current ones will most likely not be romancable by the same gender.

Even if BW did add a gender change (which isn't needed with all the character slots we have) then you would still be waiting a long time to romance Iresso, or any companion. Before asking for a gender change, wait for information on what will happen with companions. Just don't expect any news for the next 9-12 months. Bioware likes to keep us all in the dark for long periods.

When Makeb arrives you will only have sgr options with NPCs. Companions will be later on, but you probably won't see any SGR with current companions. I would not hold my breath for them. Expect new companions in a larger expansion that can be romanced by the same gender. Current ones will most likely not be romancable by the same gender.

Even if BW did add a gender change (which isn't needed with all the character slots we have) then you would still be waiting a long time to romance Iresso, or any companion. Before asking for a gender change, wait for information on what will happen with companions. Just don't expect any news for the next 9-12 months. Bioware likes to keep us all in the dark for long periods.

This isn't solely about romancing companions; character recustomization is an oft asked for feature. This proposal merely mentions the resetting of companion conversations with regards to gender swaps. We're in fact discussing the very thing you're talking about in the appropriate thread, so don't think that it hasn't been taken into account with this proposal.

Options like this, for post creation customization, should be available in an MMO these days anyway. You could have them as separate options on the Market and/or bundle them in a pack as well. Having distinct items that change gender, species, physical aspects (body type, face, skin color etc.), hair and make-up, would make it cheaper for the buyer (not having to buy an entire make over just because you want to change your hair, for example).

With the exception of romances, gender does not affect the story in anyway, and if the changing of gender resets the conversation line (but not the affection level, that's a separate thing) for romance companions only is possible, then there's no reason not to have it. Throw out the gender restrictions on clothing while you're at it and we have a winner.

Edit: I'd change my female Chiss Mercenary into a male one, mostly because I don't like her face and would like another semi-naked man armed with guns at my disposal.

Actually there are a few story related instances where gender can come into play. Alderaan comes to mind with the BH arc.

Also to the OP, you do realize that as of now, even with Makeb coming up with SGRs in it, that current companion SGRs are not available and may never be available for those companions right?

Edited by Hyfy

Well, companion romances or not, that's not really the issue here, although I do expect them to come and would still like them to be implemented with current companions first, then new ones.

I just don't want to reroll playing my preferred gender, that's the thing. She's 50, has max skills and affection with some of her current companions plus great equip and I really don't wanna lose that.

A customization bundle would be great. Different options, gender change, hair change, what Tatile mentioned. Single options for that as well. I'd like to see it as RP basics. Would be nice to have that, next to all the mounts, equip and armor that we're most likely gonna be seeing in dozens.

Edited by Lent_San

Actually there are a few story related instances where gender can come into play. Alderaan comes to mind with the BH arc.

Instead of choosing to fake-marry one person, you fake-marry another and get a gendered title? I may have played the story twice, but I'm fuzzy on the details. The same is applicable for the Agent story, but that's little more than a cultural MacGuffin, without recognition after, except for one or two letters. It would be expected that gendered titles (of which there are few) would be changed due to the flipped switch. Story wise, it's not as if we've changing from Knight to Trooper or anything.

As to the bundle, the options would be the full priced bundle (or gender and species change with miscellaneous cosmetic changes), or smaller bundles of the cosmetic changes and a single bundle of species change. So, like, Undercover Surgery*, Covert Surgery* and Terry and Terri's Make-over.

*I don't know, it should be a reference to Imperial Intelligence at any rate.

Edited by Tatile

This isn't solely about romancing companions; character recustomization is an oft asked for feature. This proposal merely mentions the resetting of companion conversations with regards to gender swaps. We're in fact discussing the very thing you're talking about in the appropriate thread, so don't think that it hasn't been taken into account with this proposal.

Except the OP specifically mentioned that part of the reason for asking for such an option was to make it a SGR relationship with said companion.

Instead of choosing to fake-marry one person, you fake-marry another and get a gendered title? I may have played the story twice, but I'm fuzzy on the details. The same is applicable for the Agent story, but that's little more than a cultural MacGuffin, without recognition after, except for one or two letters. It would be expected that gendered titles (of which there are few) would be changed due to the flipped switch. Story wise, it's not as if we've changing from Knight to Trooper or anything.

As to the bundle, the options would be the full priced bundle (or gender and species change with miscellaneous cosmetic changes), or smaller bundles of the cosmetic changes and a single bundle of species change. So, like, Undercover Surgery*, Covert Surgery* and Terry and Terri's Make-over.

*I don't know, it should be a reference to Imperial Intelligence at any rate.

I'm not implying class change, I'm just pointing out the direct effect it can have on the story/s.

Except the OP specifically mentioned that part of the reason for asking for such an option was to make it a SGR relationship with said companion.

I read it as "I've romanced Iresso with my Consular as female, but have no interest in playing her now and, regardless of possible romance options, would like to make her a guy". Lent-san is more than aware that SGRAs exist in the twisting nether that is "the future" of SWTOR and I'm sure is under no illusions as to how soon or not they will be made available. The SGRAs were only mentioned for the purpose of back story, which I believe is entirely irrelevant to this discussion.

I want to make my female Chiss male. I couldn't give a damn about romancing Torian or Mako.

I'm not implying class change, I'm just pointing out the direct effect it can have on the story/s.

I don't have a male Bounty Hunter, so I wasn't aware that you could have a fake mini romance with the princess.

Edited by Tatile

No. Did I say that? I mentioned resetting the current active romance, so to speak, so you could potentially pursue a different one, or even none at all. I just figured a resetting of romances was mandatory for a gender swap, hence my suggestion.

For instance if my femConsular would turn into maleConsular, currently Iresso wouldn't be available for romance (I don't mind if he would be but that's not the point), so a reset, a fresh start, would be in order. MaleConsular could then pursue Nadia (or whomever) instead.

Edited by Lent_San

With the exception of romances, gender does not affect the story in anyway, and if the changing of gender resets the conversation line (but not the affection level, that's a separate thing) for romance companions only is possible, then there's no reason not to have it. Throw out the gender restrictions on clothing while you're at it and we have a winner

I don't think it would make a big difference about romance. If you were in the middle of a romance, e.g you were in a romance with Iresso, you would just switch to the male conversations with Iresso, so it'd only be a partial romance.

You can get the Baroness title as female and the Knight of Alderaan title as male. Just switch around the titles, so if I had Knight of Alderaan, and switched genders, I'd have Baroness.

As for the thread topic, I agree. There should be full surgery so you can change gender, species, appearance, all that stuff. I have 2 male Bounty Hunters and want to change one to female.

You can get the Baroness title as female and the Knight of Alderaan title as male. Just switch around the titles, so if I had Knight of Alderaan, and switched genders, I'd have Baroness.

THAT'S why I didn't get the Knight title? That sucks, I want to be a Knight, why can't I be a Knight? :mad: (I'd petition for the removal of gender restrictions on titles, but we all know how well that would go down.)

As for the thread topic, I agree. There should be full surgery so you can change gender, species, appearance, all that stuff. I have 2 male Bounty Hunters and want to change one to female.

Yes, thank you, basically it's as simple as that. ;) I'd like to play 'her' again, but not as a female. And further customization options would be the cream of the crop.

Edited by Lent_San

There would probably need to be some adjustments (aka the title swap) for a gender change, but I know WoW has a gender swap option, not sure on other MMOs. Even if they wanted to keep all character changes as ones that could happen in story, a surgery that changes your gender is completely possible.

Long story short, it's an option that would be nice to have for players.

I was thinking that in the coding the setting probably looks something like this, with one being the active one:

Gender=1 (male)

Gender=0 (female)

The coding for male and female is set via initial character creation and the code would determine what titles you get to carry, male or female version.

So if the gender was simply swapped from 0 to 1, no title change would even be necessary, because it's all in the coding, no?

Edited by Lent_San

I read it as "I've romanced Iresso with my Consular as female, but have no interest in playing her now and, regardless of possible romance options, would like to make her a guy". Lent-san is more than aware that SGRAs exist in the twisting nether that is "the future" of SWTOR and I'm sure is under no illusions as to how soon or not they will be made available. The SGRAs were only mentioned for the purpose of back story, which I believe is entirely irrelevant to this discussion.

I want to make my female Chiss male. I couldn't give a damn about romancing Torian or Mako.

I don't have a male Bounty Hunter, so I wasn't aware that you could have a fake mini romance with the princess.

That's fine that you don't, however the OP said explicitly "so I can...." which to me implies that they are under the impression that they would be able to engage in a SGR with their current set of companions. That implored me to point out the small flaw in their intentions, because as has been stated, that will not be available with the Makeb expansion if ever.

No. Did I say that? I mentioned resetting the current active romance, so to speak, so you could potentially pursue a different one, or even none at all. I just figured a resetting of romances was mandatory for a gender swap, hence my suggestion.

For instance if my femConsular would turn into maleConsular, currently Iresso wouldn't be available for romance (I don't mind if he would be but that's not the point), so a reset, a fresh start, would be in order. MaleConsular could then pursue Nadia (or whomever) instead.

If I misread it then I apologize, I was driving home from work at the time and got the impression that your intention was to (if the gender swap was implemented) to start over fresh to per sue a SGR with a current companion. Or there is the distinct possibility that I may have even combined two threads all together.

I'd imagine gender change would be something impossible to accomplish in this game seeing as dialogue is different depending if you're male or female. Also if you've already married a certain companion, I'm not sure how it would affect them.

I'd imagine gender change would be something impossible to accomplish in this game seeing as dialogue is different depending if you're male or female. Also if you've already married a certain companion, I'm not sure how it would affect them.

Well, past dialogue is past and future dialogue would be shown according to (new) gender. And the romance would reset, like as if you've never entered a romance. I don't think this would be hard to accomplish, basically that's probably two settings in he database that need changing.

I really cant see how this could work? There are some gender specific options and diaog not to mention compaion being romanced. Would all the compaion conversations be reset or would they just go on petending you were not married to your oposite sex compaion. Personaly I cant see enough people being willing to spend cash on an option like this against the development time and the arguments people will have. However if demand is there I would be happy for this to be in I wont use it but anything where profit is good hopefully means more cash for other stuff.

I know when they finally release a new alien speices I will be starting from scratch with a new character so would suggest people who want Mekaab SGR to do so now least they will have a head start on getting to the Mekaab content before its released.

Edited by Izorii

Would all the compaion conversations be reset...

Romance companions, yes. You've married Quinn? The romance has been reset, it never happened. Married Jaesa? Never happened. If it's such a big deal about what other people see in their conversations and storylines, make it a post-50 option.

And is the dialogue really that different? I can not remember any significant, drastic story moment which hinge on my character's gender presentation. "Oooh, can't let HER be a member of the Dark Council, she has SQUISHY bits." "Let the colonies vote on it, then." "They asked for more supplies and said they didn't care, I guess she stays."

I really cant see how this could work? There are some gender specific options and diaog not to mention compaion being romanced.
Has already been adressed. ;) Gender-specific options of past dialogues, well, in case those exist, they're past, so you're not gonna be able to replay them. Gender change would be deliberate, so I guess if you have a char that you'd like to gender-swap, past dialogues are not really that big of a concern for you in that respect.

I know when they finally release a new alien speices I will be starting from scratch with a new character so would suggest people who want Mekaab SGR to do so now least they will have a head start on getting to the Mekaab content before its released.

It's not solely about romances. I see it more as customization option, like many other options there are, hair change, body type change and so forth. I don't see a big logistical problem here, guessing that it's probably just two changes in the database, gender set to different code and romance set to 0. For all I care past dialogues with companions needn't pop up again after that, a reset of companion dialogues has been suggested elsewhere. That's not really my concern.

I'm guessing it could be dealt with via a token from the Cartel Market, that, when used, changes both options in the data base. I'm no developer of course, but don't think it would be that big of a challenge, seeing that those kind of appliances have been fan-developed as simple mods for other games out there.

Edited by Lent_San