The First 6 Months of WoW were Exactly Like This! So Don't Gripe and Compare!!

LordArgus

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

there wasnt any queues in vannila , wasnt that many people playing it back then

yeah, you are right! I TOTALLY FORGOT THANKS MAN !

I guess my perception was worthless after all.

You're right. There weren't/it wasn't.

Just falling threw the ground

characters not being able to play for 24 hours after that

invisible mobs

warping

graphical glitches

server rollbacks

servers crashing

servers restarting

quests breaking

But hey, no queues!

Edited by Sykologist

Only difference is, WoW release was 7 years ago, was one of the first BIG mmorpgs, and therefore didnt have many other mmo's to learn from and see what works and doesnt work.

SWTOR has had YEARS of planning, and the ability to learn from WoW and others release woes, so comparing the two at this stage is ludicrous at best.

Hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhaahhaaha your post is just... incorrect.

WoW's success was in fact due to the way they DID have many MMORPGs before them to take the good ideas from and refine them. They did not learn it all by trial and error, you are mistaking WoW for what UO, EQ and others did. WoW simply took the good features of a game, refined them, removed the bad features and released a buggy ****** game that they polished to the most played MMORPG in history.

SWTOR is releasing a buggy game as well, with a lot of great ideas from other games (talents, split archetypes, holy trinity) tweeked to their liking and a lot of great new ideas (voice over and story telling) that haven't been seen before. With more time, they too can polish the game into a great game.

ITT

keyboard personalities have different experiences with the same series of events and argue about it.

We need more threads like this, ALL over the internet since this is so uncommon now a days.

This entire community reads like YouTube comments.

Rubbish.

Edited by mnesler

I was in WoW beta many years ago and started playing it on day one of release with several other real life friends. It was exactly like this with it's lack of interface and a lot of bugs. I remember forming a party was easy but a raid group was a nightmare. You couldn't resize your raid frames then and there were no macros to speak of. 3rd Party mods had not really been developed until about 6 months after the game was out so in the beginning it was all bare bones.

People talking about how fluid wow is compared to this game, need to go back and remember what WoW was like in the very beginning. They have had 8 years to fine tune their game and literally thousands of content patches, tweaks, hotfixes, etc have streamlined their interface, pvp, etc.

Give this game 6 months and I'm sure they are working even as I type this to make the UI better in the next few patches. 3 years from now you won't even recognize the game it is today.

BW had 7 years to get inspired by WoW's fixes.

Trying to add a new perspective here.

what game were you all playing?

WoW was not like this at release, at all.

It would go down on tuesday, every tuesday, like it was supposed to, and tuesdays would always been laggy, etc.

however, after starting on Day 1 with WoW on the server that was suggested for me by Blizz, I never sat in a queue, I never had the crashing issues that I get every 5 minutes with TOR, etc.

not to mention the fact that this game had 7 full days of testing from Early Access...

Right but within a year you were like "WoW this server *********** blows, it is dead as hell!" just like everyone else was.

WoW and most other MMORPGs have been plagued with dead servers since the beginning of MMO time. Bioware is simply trying to push the industry forward by solving that problem. All day people talk about games need to innovate and create something new, not just a WoW clone. Then when they try to solve a major issue in the genre, people ***** and piss and moan.

Just sit back, and wait. You already lost the race to 50, so relax and take your time. If the ques bother you, go do something else for a week. No one is holding a gun to your head making you sit and watch the que tick down.

You're right. There weren't/it wasn't.

Just falling threw the ground

characters not being able to play for 24 hours after that

invisible mobs

warping

graphical glitches

server rollbacks

servers crashing

servers restarting

quests breaking

But hey, no queues!

lol i remember the roll backs fun times lol

i remember saying in chat if you typed \nice or something like that it disconnected you i used to always get the newbys to type it by offering free gold

Right but within a year you were like "WoW this server *********** blows, it is dead as hell!" just like everyone else was.

WoW and most other MMORPGs have been plagued with dead servers since the beginning of MMO time. Bioware is simply trying to push the industry forward by solving that problem. All day people talk about games need to innovate and create something new, not just a WoW clone. Then when they try to solve a major issue in the genre, people ***** and piss and moan.

Just sit back, and wait. You already lost the race to 50, so relax and take your time. If the ques bother you, go do something else for a week. No one is holding a gun to your head making you sit and watch the que tick down.

so you happy with paying for a game and then not playing it?

Edited by Meluna
rude

Only difference is, WoW release was 7 years ago, was one of the first BIG mmorpgs

It may have been one of the first mainstream MMOs but it was by no means the first 'BIG' MMOs... In the context of this thread WRT bugs and issues not sure how popularity is relevant if that is what you mean

i dont remember massive queues with wow in vanilla

i remember server shut downs all the time

but defo no queues

dont think most the people that say they played vannila even did tbh

is it cool to say you played in vanilla?

Zul'jin Server here. Night Elf Hunter from day 1. Played that toon through TBC and then moved to Draenei Shammy 1/2 way through TBC into Cata.

The queues were over an hour at launch of Vanilla, and for each xpac. I would routinely come home from work, log on, and go have dinner while in que.

Perhaps it is you who was not around for Vanilla Launch.

This game has been out for less than a day now. Chill out.

Only difference is, WoW release was 7 years ago, was one of the first BIG mmorpgs, and therefore didnt have many other mmo's to learn from and see what works and doesnt work.

SWTOR has had YEARS of planning, and the ability to learn from WoW and others release woes, so comparing the two at this stage is ludicrous at best.

TERRIBLE assumption.

so you happy with paying for a game and then not playing it?

You and 2 million other people are trying to play this game.

This game is brand new. Queues are a part of any MMO launch. So, wait, be patient, and you will get to play

Edited by Meluna

First 6 months of World of Warcraft were nothing like this. Maybe the first two weeks before the server populations adjusted.

I played WoW from pre-beta (alpha sandbox) through now. I love seeing these posers making stuff up about other games that they have played for a few years which somehow classifies them as vanilla users.

Listen, these queue times will fix themselves over the next two weeks. If you can't stand them, then create a new character on a light population server. If you don't want to leave your guild, take them with you or go play with your dog while you wait in queue.

what game were you all playing?

WoW was not like this at release, at all.

It would go down on tuesday, every tuesday, like it was supposed to, and tuesdays would always been laggy, etc.

however, after starting on Day 1 with WoW on the server that was suggested for me by Blizz, I never sat in a queue, I never had the crashing issues that I get every 5 minutes with TOR, etc.

not to mention the fact that this game had 7 full days of testing from Early Access...

It was so great 3 of the first 5 entries on my WoW account page are free days to make up for the random downtime. Also, my roommate couldn't get a copy of the game for 2 weeks because Blizzard made the stores take them off the shelves. Yea, way better than ToR's launch so far...

Exactly.

Plus I'd like to add to the OP:

1. I don't think you are necessarily right about how wow was.

2. I DON'T CARE - this is not wow and this is now and I'm paying them.

If they refund the money until they fix their stuff, then perhaps. Otherwise its just begin amorally greedy.

That's like saying any new car company can compete with Ferrari, since all new companies can just learn from them. No, that's not how it works.

Ferrari was founded in 1929 by Enzo Ferrari (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari)

Their fastest car is the Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano with a power to weight ratio of 362 bhp per tonne.

A UK based company, Ariel Ltd. was founded in 2001 by Solocrest (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ariel_Ltd)

Their fastest car is the Ariel Atom V8 with a power to weight ratio of 900 bhp per tonne.

As you can see, a British company manages to make the fastest production car in the world simply by applying the laws of Lotus (lightness) and massive power (Ferrari, Zonda, Lamborghini etc).

If you want proof of this car's speed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj9MAApLdDs totally destroys cars that cost 10 - 15x it's price simply because it's had "the benefit of technology".

Your argument is invalid, sorry.

i stayed on my server until patch 2.0, at which point i left in order to join a better guild. It had nothing to do with my server. It was a medium pop, felt crowded enough, never had a queue.

race to 50? lol who's racing?

i'd like to be able to stay in the game for longer than 5 minutes before a hard crash to my desktop with no warning, no error, no performance issues, and if that's too much to ask, then i'd like to not have to sit in THE SAME QUEUE THAT I JUST SAT IN for another hour because my game crashed through no fault of my own.

And, barring all that, I'd at least like to get a freaking response as to why my game is crashing every 5 minutes after 7 straight days of no performance issues during Early Access.

but hey, you know me, right?

I was there at launch with WoW, Rift and War.

This is by far the 'best' launch. It's not without issues, just the smoothest so far. (That I've seen)

Ques are an issue but I had them in each game at some point. I'm expecting them to be addressed soon.

I haven't had any crashing issues while on and the bugs I've noticed have been minor.

The framework for an excellent long term game is there. Time should get it the adjustments and polish it needs to be a great game for a long time.

So, how many decades do the apologists and fanbois here think it will be before the rest of us can finally start to expect higher levels of quality at launch than games made 8+ *********** years ago?

Or will we simply have to listen to the little Gollum's telling us in 2034, when yet another buggy bare bones mmo comes out, "Just shut up and stop complaining! I remember WoW was just like this at launch 30 years ago!!!" Stupid trolls!".

You just contradict yourself there though, initial plans would have been made 'YEARS' ago, they cant keep updating to 'keep up with the times'. the simple-list option would be to carry on creating the game and update to standard after release.

As someone who was in WoW beta, Warhammer beta, Conan beta, you name it...beta...this is a MUCH better release than most MMO's. ****, it was funny seeing everyone cry and threaten to quit last night when people couldn't enjoy midnight release for 30 whole minutes OMG!!! Was it frustrating? Sure, but it wasn't that bad...At least you can log in, run around and start questions now. It took WoW a solid month after release to even get their game stable.

I remember TBC release, some servers were down over 26 hours, and that was only an expansion pack..

The queues are to help balance server pop, the cap is NOT permanent! You add a 30minute cap now to "full" servers, it discourages new players from starting there, so they pick a lower pop server. Gradually as all the servers fill up, BW will raise the cap on servers so current queues don't exist. But until that time, deal with it. The benefit will far outweigh the current pains.