Mobile security keys are unreliable?

OptionalFTW

I just had one totally bust on me. I downloaded the app on my samsung galaxy s3, it worked for a couple of weeks, then i just tried to log in after lunch, i was gone for maybe 30 minutes, and my key was constantly wrong. I had to wait an hour and a half on customer service (google voice ftw.. not having a toll free number to call is pretty ludicrous) to get them to remove it.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? I really don't feel like my account is secure without one of these, not that this game has the popularity of wow and the likelyhood of being targetted for account theft is very low, i still don't like it.

Should I bother instaling it again, or will it just f up?

I've never had any kind of problem with the security key on my phone.

Even the process of having it removed from my old phone and then putting it on my new one was painless.

This. I use a mobile security key for SWTOR and I've never had a problem. I even got a new phone a couple of weeks ago and customer service had the key off my old phone in a matter of a couple of minutes, if that.

Is there a sync button on the mobile app? I had both the blizzard mobile key and the one for rift stop working before. Just had to tap the sync button to get it working again.

Yup, go to the Settings tab and there's a Synchronize Time option. I had to use it the other day. It may well have solved the OPs problem.

As a side note, I've been using the Android app without issue since it became available. I've only had to re-sync it a couple of times.

Edited by GoldenHornet

Well if Bioware made the security key available to Windows Phone, then I'd use it.

Also they need to fix the damn app itself. The key it gives you IS IN BLACK TEXT, YOU CAN HARDLY READ IT. Good lord Bioware, who the hell is supposed to manage this app? It's like they gave up developing it months ago.

Edited by wombinator

Well if Bioware made the security key available to Windows Phone, then I'd use it.

Also they need to fix the damn app itself. The key it gives you IS IN BLACK TEXT, YOU CAN HARDLY READ IT. Good lord Bioware, who the hell is supposed to manage this app? It's like they gave up developing it months ago.

Weird, my key is in a light yellow/beige text. I think your app is broken!:eek:

Edited by AshlaBoga

My key is always bright yellow text, never an issue.

I hit sync like 50 times, even manually put in the time and date, still didn't work..

I wiped the app and re-downloaded it and attached it again..here's hoping it doesn't break a second time..

Figures nobody else has had this problem t_t

Never had a problem and when I switched to my new phone, CS had me swapped over no muss, no fuss.

As for black text, it's a known bug. You need to fully end the application (not just close it) and restart it and your text will be yellow/gold again.

• 1 year later...
Never had a problem and when I switched to my new phone, CS had me swapped over no muss, no fuss.

As for black text, it's a known bug. You need to fully end the application (not just close it) and restart it and your text will be yellow/gold again.

Wow, so it's been over a year and the same "known bug" exists... and I just tried killing the app completely and re-launching it 3-4 times... same unreadable black text.

So, you have 2 options if you want to play the game or log into the website

1. A security key app that, for many people, doesn't work

2. A "one time" code sent in email every time you want access (and

And if you choose option 2, you don't get access to an in game vendor that's only available to those that use the security key app.

So really, they're pushing people, with more than a subtle hint, to use a mobile app that they haven't been able to properly produce in well over a year

Is this how they keep the server traffic down? by chasing off potential customers with the most ridiculous account security options ever made for an MMO? Come on, security team, get your sh... err stuff together!

Mine does the same thing, here's what I do, works every time:

1. If you see the discolored text, press your phone's back button (mine is a galaxy s3, so it's a soft button in the lower right hand corner)

2. keep pressing back until you see the normal yellow text. click that.

should work. I do it all the time. Kindof a pain, I know, but it's at least a workaround.