Autism Slur - Derogitory Player Name

WeadonismyMaster

We SHOULD be able to expect people to act appropriately. Especially in public settings. I think that it is sad that we have come to a point in society where instead of expecting people to act and behave in an appropriate and decent manner, that many times we are instead told to evolve and deal with it. "Don't be the victim" is just another way of saying "Lay there and take it quietly.".

Hey OP. Let me just put it out in the open that I have a dual diagnosis of ASD and OCD, and I've been called names and worse by people I actually knew, never mind people on the internet. So I understand where you're coming from.

I didn't bother to scroll through here to see exactly what derogatory term was used, but I'd like to say:

1. If it violates the terms of service, then report it and let them handle it.

2. Better yet, try and learn to put up with it. Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing, and you're free to ignore him/her. Sticks and stones...you know the saying, I'm sure.

3. Honestly we should be far more concerned with how players behave than with their names. If this guy/gal is actually harassing other players in general chat, or following them around and bothering them, then that is definitely worth reporting. I've seen/dealt with worse than offensive names.

4. As a community we should promote tolerance, but the way to do that has to go beyond just trying to censor everyone. If you're a solo player this stuff should be easy to ignore. If you're really involved in a guild or just with other players, then don't waste energy worrying about some anonymous troll. Stick with your friends. If we have a decent community overall then that stuff won't fly with them and people will be called out for crap like that.

/end rant.

Edited by BradTheImpaler

We actually have no idea whether the OP had reasonable cause to be insulted, or is just being a self-important attention seeking nitwit. Why?

Becuase he never bothered to tell us the purportedly offensive name. For all we know, the name in question has absolutely nothing to do with autism outside the OP's deranged mind, or the OP is just a successful troll.

This.

I'm very much interested in how exactly does one use autism as a slur. I didn't even know it was possible.

I was about to reply to this, as it sounds horrible, but then I saw that you said they have actually sorted this now, cool. Yay for not just reading the first page. ;)But it does worry me that you say you reported 6 times and that they did not do anything, I've had a similar experience where they seem to largely ignore tickets and just pin automatic responses on them to try make it seem like they are doing something when they are actually not. On the UK&EU RP server, The Progenitor, there is literally someone running around with the name "Dafuuq" for example. The Secret World's customer support is absolutely amazing in comparison, they actually take the time to message you in game and talk to you when they get around to your turn in the queue, and will actually hold a conversation. In SWTOR, even though tickets are only able to be made by subscribers, they STILL take days to reply, and then it's just a pre-written robot response, even if you asked specific questions, they will not answer. Just robot. The difference is certainly a culture shock, and EA should seriously reconsider the very 90s way they seem to handle customer support if they want to remain competitive...

The fact that they did not do anything until you made this thread is especially worrying, because earlier on in the game when the moderators seemed a little less professional than they are now, I remember threads getting memory hole'd that asked about customer support issues, and I believe it might still be technically against the rules even. Yet if their own support is largely incompetent, what are people to do? It's almost like they want to encourage people to unsubscribe, it's completely stupid.

By the way, there's a nice little thread for people with disabilities here if you are interested. :)

Edited by SelinaK

My son is Autistic. High functioning. 8 years old and plays SWTOR with myself, my wife, both of us or on his own. I am not going to get into a huge debate about this. What I get from this is that someone took offence of a character name and reported it. It should not be taken lightly. What I understand of the OP is he is one, making the community here aware of it. Second, venting his frustration with both the character name(players choice of) and basicly being ignored by BW (or at least feels he is being ignored). Thirdly, maybe he is advicating here and asking us to take into concideration reporting it as well in hopes that BW does something about it. I can see the OP's point and can empathize his frustration. BTW I did not read past the first page LOL I took from it and posted. I do hope his frustration disapates however. Either from ignoring the character and moving on to enjoy the game or by BW doing something about it.

I was about to reply to this, as it sounds horrible, but then I saw that you said they have actually sorted this now, cool. Yay for not just reading the first page. ;)But it does worry me that you say you reported 6 times and that they did not do anything, I've had a similar experience where they seem to largely ignore tickets and just pin automatic responses on them to try make it seem like they are doing something when they are actually not. On the UK&EU RP server, The Progenitor, there is literally someone running around with the name "Dafuuq" for example. The Secret World's customer support is absolutely amazing in comparison, they actually take the time to message you in game and talk to you when they get around to your turn in the queue, and will actually hold a conversation. In SWTOR, even though tickets are only able to be made by subscribers, they STILL take days to reply, and then it's just a pre-written robot response, even if you asked specific questions, they will not answer. Just robot. The difference is certainly a culture shock, and EA should seriously reconsider the very 90s way they seem to handle customer support if they want to remain competitive...

The fact that they did not do anything until you made this thread is especially worrying, because earlier on in the game when the moderators seemed a little less professional than they are now, I remember threads getting memory hole'd that asked about customer support issues, and I believe it might still be technically against the rules even. Yet if their own support is largely incompetent, what are people to do? It's almost like they want to encourage people to unsubscribe, it's completely stupid.

By the way, there's a nice little thread for people with disabilities here if you are interested. :)

Just read this as well. Yes, I am guilty of the 1st page ready only offence. However I am glad it got worked out. If that was the case. Also thank you, SalinaK for the disibilities link.

Hi folks,

We are closing this thread. While we understand that players can be frustrated with the community at times, please understand that threads like this (even when made with good intentions) tend to result in flame wars and have little room for constructive discussion. To the OP, in the future, please go ahead and report this player in-game and our CS team will review it. If you feel that the issue has not been taken care of, please create an in-game ticket as well. In the future, we encourage you to create threads that foster constructive discussion and focus on the game.

We appreciate your understanding that we've closed this thread!

Edited by JovethGonzalez