Same gender romance discussion

CommunitySupport

"Straight" also includes women, not just men. So adding more straight companions to make the numbers equal would involve adding in straight men, not just more women. What I think me and the person who originally suggested it meant was that each class should have 2 romance options total for every orientation and gender combo, not that we as an equal number for each on top of what already exists.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leia Rule?

Leia rule = that the romancable companion would have to be someone you could see Leia romancing, more or less (so humanoid/human-like, speaking Basic, etc.).

"Straight" also includes women, not just men. So adding more straight companions to make the numbers equal would involve adding in straight men, not just more women. What I think me and the person who originally suggested it meant was that each class should have 2 romance options total for every orientation and gender combo, not that we as an equal number for each on top of what already exists.

Eh, I'd rather they focus on adding depth to/continuing existing (straight) romances than force tons of new companions on us to fill some sort of quota...having that many options would also likely preclude ever getting much content with romanced companions as well, as there'd simply be too many of them to regularly update. I'm not sure how I feel about adding SG relationships...simply altering existing companions feels like a bandaid/slapdash response, but I don't really see Bioware putting in the effort of making new ones either...

Edited by Lesaberisa

Leia rule = that the romancable companion would have to be someone you could see Leia romancing, more or less (so humanoid/human-like, speaking Basic, etc.).

Basically, the same rule they have for us regarding playable species. Which most of us think is idiotic.

Depending on whether the companions were class specific or not it could be as few as five additional companions, less if they make existing ones bi. It would be nice if everyone could have a little choice, but if they only did one of each that would be ok too.

Don't get me wrong, choice would be great; it would be a fair bit of work (either re-doing old ones or creating new characters), and keep in mind that BW's idea of balanced OGR/SGR was flirting with some random NPC who won't reappear.

Don't get me wrong, choice would be great; it would be a fair bit of work (either re-doing old ones or creating new characters), and keep in mind that BW's idea of balanced OGR/SGR was flirting with some random NPC who won't reappear.

Two years on, I think they could have gotten this fixed by now if they weren't busy mucking around with Ewoks and Space PvP.

Two years on, I think they could have gotten this fixed by now if they weren't busy mucking around with Ewoks and Space PvP.

Unfortunately, I'd guess something like Treek is much more appealing to Bioware...

- minimal effort required outside of animation (gear doesn't show up on her, her vocals are essentially gibberish, minimal story that can apply to an entire faction)

- appeals to Star Wars fans (hey it's an Ewok!)

- appeals to game players (hey it's an [overpowered] healer/tank! And I can use her at level 10!)

- makes them money, probably a considerable amount

Edited by Lesaberisa

Unfortunately, I'd guess something like Treek is much more appealing to Bioware...

- minimal effort required out of animation (gear doesn't show up on her, her vocals are essentially gibberish, minimal story that can apply to an entire faction)

- appeals to Star Wars fans (hey it's an Ewok!)

- appeals to game players (hey it's an [overpowered] healer/tank! And I can use her at level 10!)

- makes them money, probably a considerable amount

That doesn't surprise me. So far, most of what they've done seems to be the minimal they can get away with and still make money.

And I really am being a pain in the backside in that other thread. At this point, I don't care if they delete all my posts or even sanction me. I'm tired of them ignoring us and putting us into this ghetto to be ignored.

They're very lax at the moment - you might get your posts deleted, but as it's Sunday and they'll have the full backlog from the weekend (the wonderful, wonderful weekend), it's unlikely.

If you continue to snipe with that one dude (though it seems you've both settled down now), then yeah, you might be in more trouble, but only if it turns to personal attacks (or mentioning mildly political words like "agenda" - which, I'm told, is a politics-only word in the US and not something you use in meetings. Funny, that.)

They're very lax at the moment - you might get your posts deleted, but as it's Sunday and they'll have the full backlog from the weekend (the wonderful, wonderful weekend), it's unlikely.

If you continue to snipe with that one dude (though it seems you've both settled down now), then yeah, you might be in more trouble, but only if it turns to personal attacks (or mentioning mildly political words like "agenda" - which, I'm told, is a politics-only word in the US and not something you use in meetings. Funny, that.)

I'm very good at being polite if snarky. Besides, his first comment was largely a personal attack, which I have not reported. But, yes, I have a feeling that they will either ignore the comments or delete them. I'm just tired of being ignored.

I'm very good at being polite if snarky. Besides, his first comment was largely a personal attack, which I have not reported. But, yes, I have a feeling that they will either ignore the comments or delete them. I'm just tired of being ignored.

Don't even get me started - the number of PMs I've sent these past two weeks...

I detest such individuals - giving yourself a little bit of an education and some empathy isn't hard.

I just wish that such people would. Instead, they spout out stuff from various texts they think back up their points when they really don't.

And they deleted that entire thread about the Two Year Anniversary scout ship skins.

Eventhough SCORPIO is one of my favourite companions, it is solely due to her personality. She is a heavily gendered Ms Male and Smurfette character. In fact, she is the only female amongst the billions of genderless, or are we to read male?, droids.

Eventhough SCORPIO is one of my favourite companions, it is solely due to her personality. She is a heavily gendered Ms Male and Smurfette character. In fact, she is the only female amongst the billions of genderless, or are we to read male?, droids.

It would be interesting to see the logic behind gendering SCORPIO so heavily, versus the generally trait-less droids, like... the ship droids.

I think this in part due to the idea that (in the mainstream, at least, it's far more lax within gender aware circles and genderqueer schools of though) the lack of specific "gender-y" traits or sexual traits is indicative of male-ness. When we meet SCORPIO, she's an AI with no specific chassis - she exists within a network, for the most part, from a central server - the only signifier of her womanliness, is the voice chosen. If her voice were any less gendered, I have no doubt that she would have been given a less curved chassis, and would therefore be shown off as "male".

It goes back to the the principle that maleness or masculinity is inherently genderless.

SCORPIO is certainly the Smurfette of droids - it's implied that even the speaking heavy gun droids (like M4-X (the trooper one?)) have "maleness".

I was about to try to start up a discussion about gender, gendered traits, and such similar things, in the Empire. (The Republic doesn't particularly interest me.)

SCORPIO is also something of a reference to Metropolis (1927). Her design is heavily influenced by the design of the robot in that movie, and that design also heavily influenced the design of C-3PO, at least from an aesthetic point of view. I haven't read anything to back that up, but that's what it looks like.

That still doesn't really explain why SCORPIO is the Smurfette of the galaxy's droids.

Has anyone ever encountered another feminine-coded droid?

I'm pretty sure I've seen droids with female voices at least but i can't recall where. And i know a lot of the droids are referred to as it instead of he even with male voices.

I'm pretty sure I've seen droids with female voices at least but i can't recall where. And i know a lot of the droids are referred to as it instead of he even with male voices.

I'm pretty sure the use of "it" is because driods are regarded as objects, without personality or identity*.

*Heuristic processors droids are memory wiped (or are supposed to be) regularly to prevent them from developing a personality; standard processor droids don't run the risk of developing an identity, they only have what they're programmed with

**Husband did Star Wars Saga a while ago, and one of the players had a droid character, so research on heuristic versus standard processors and memory wipe protocols was required

Actually, on that note, SCORPIO is an heuristic processor AI - she learns and acquires new knowledge. The only other heuristic processor droid I remember, who won't have had memory wipes, is the Defenstrator. Does anyone remember if that droid had a pronoun preference? BH Chapter 1 end, start Chapter 2, Great Hunt Winner (Previous)

Edited by Tatile