The Four Pillars of why you should consider running a DPS assassin/shadow in YOUR rwz

EatenByDistance

a good carnage marauder will probably get around 600-650k in a full length civil war. I can pull over 700k without too much difficulty plus I have all the utility listed in the OP. The only utility Carnage brings to the team that Smash doesn't is a faster Predation (only matters in the first few seconds on WZ) and more roots.

700k...impressive I rarely see that on civil war out of any dps let alone assassin.

You shouldn't have squishiness problems in a 0/27/14 build. Between Sith Defiance, Darkswell, Entropic Field, Insulation(I usually take this over Static Charges because 4% mitigation through armor seems like better spent points than a buff to discharge which will rarely, if ever get to a 5 stack in PvP), a minute self heal through Death Field, and proper rotation of Force Shroud and Force Cloak(which resets your Blackout timer) you should have survivability on par with Darkness. The reduced cooldown on Force Shroud in Darkness hybrids and full tank builds is definitely a plus, but it doesn't really afford you much more staying power over good use of defensive cooldowns in the Wakajinn spec. The only real loss that I see with 0/27/14 is the absence of Force Pull. But if you rotate your CC's and reduced cooldown Force Speed, you shouldn't have too many problems. I personally prefer Low Slash over Instant Whirlwind, based solely on the cooldown timer of each.

I did say "feels" =P though you're also missing out the healing from Battle Readiness, and I usually run a 27/014 hybrid so you're missing the healing from Harnessed Shadows as well. Healing from Force in Balance is negligible, but a wash in this case.

Still I'd chalk it up mostly to a placebo effect.

Force Pull is most noticed in Hutt Ball, but thank God for free Field Respec.

Stealth classes are the most powerful classes in the game. And they will only get better and better. Because stealth classes tend to be used to guard nodes more often, their productivity stats tend to be lower. And because stealth classes are the ones most often sent to raid distant nodes, their stats tend to be lower. Thus BW's ingame statistics will continue to view stealth classes as having lower meta average damage/protection/healing than other classes. And that is why BW will continue to buff them in future patches. BW's ingame stat collection system is unable to quantify the utility contribution made by classes - in fact it simply ignores them. Thus high utility classes (like stealth classes) will always be underrated by BW, and low utility classes (Merc/Commando) will always be overrated by BW.

Bottom line, you can not have enough stealth toons on your RWZ team. This is not a Assassin DPS issue per se, but yes Assassin DPS is in the mix.

I'm refusing to let this thread die. I despise the fact that my only purpose in a ranked game is to sit semi afk node guarding until people get bored enough to finally let me do something crazy. An active dps role is what I want to be doing, and whether people see it or not, the class can do it very well.

I'm refusing to let this thread die. I despise the fact that my only purpose in a ranked game is to sit semi afk node guarding until people get bored enough to finally let me do something crazy. An active dps role is what I want to be doing, and whether people see it or not, the class can do it very well.

You could always bring up the idea of running two tankasins on your team.

2x Tankasin

2x Pyro PT.

1 Op heal

1 Sorc heal

1 hybrid tank jugg (can we get a clever name for this yet?)

1 carnage marauder.

Then you can switch back and forth node guarding as needed with the other sin.

Sadly I feel...no, I know that any serious ranked team will not bring a dps assassin into a ranked due to the fact that our dps is simply outdone by others (mara, jug, pt, even snipers) and, this is just for my team. If we see any team with a assassin/shadow that is not running tank stance they are just an easy target regardless of the buffs deception got. Yes we can swap tress mid round to help take nodes but that takes time and can be inefficient. Simply put our dps no matter how well you beat on players in regs is completely outdone by better dps in a true team environment.

I would love to be able to run any build other than hybrid but its simply not wanted. You can put out "decent" numbers for ranked with outstanding utility and with all the cries for nerfs still (lol) that will put is on the outside looking in for sure.

Edited by cycao

• 2 weeks later...
Sadly I feel...no, I know that any serious ranked team will not bring a dps assassin into a ranked due to the fact that our dps is simply outdone by others (mara, jug, pt, even snipers) and, this is just for my team. If we see any team with a assassin/shadow that is not running tank stance they are just an easy target regardless of the buffs deception got. Yes we can swap tress mid round to help take nodes but that takes time and can be inefficient. Simply put our dps no matter how well you beat on players in regs is completely outdone by better dps in a true team environment.

I would love to be able to run any build other than hybrid but its simply not wanted. You can put out "decent" numbers for ranked with outstanding utility and with all the cries for nerfs still (lol) that will put is on the outside looking in for sure.

Quite honestly I'd love to lose my stealth in a single tree to have a rated-viable dps spec sigh :(

My marauder hits 50 this weekend so I guess it's all good.

• 3 weeks later...

The more I think about it the more I think it's not that bad of an idea..

Though there are a lot of ifs that go with the decision.

If you have a very potent and skilled Assassin player, that knows what he is doing then it could be a good idea to bring him in as the 4th dps in your team. I think it may especially worth it if you're kind of in an underdog team or on par with another team to have a potential game changer up your sleeves.

• 3 weeks later...
a good carnage marauder will probably get around 600-650k in a full length civil war. I can pull over 700k without too much difficulty plus I have all the utility listed in the OP. The only utility Carnage brings to the team that Smash doesn't is a faster Predation (only matters in the first few seconds on WZ) and more roots.

Show a vid of u doing that in a pug and i will send u my sister for your enjoyment...

In case your answer is: well it is in a RWZ with my guildies... check http://www.redeclipse.eu and look for the server records.

Furthermore, the the mara doing 600k in that circumstance should be banned to Pluto.

Show a vid of u doing that in a pug and i will send u my sister for your enjoyment...

In case your answer is: well it is in a RWZ with my guildies... check http://www.redeclipse.eu and look for the server records.

Furthermore, the the mara doing 600k in that circumstance should be banned to Pluto.

And a Arsenal Merc can do just as much. :rak_03:

So, lets bring a whole team Mercs, that spam tracer right?

Oh wait, they would get focused. Except there's 8 of them. How do you focus 8 people??!?!?! :rak_02:

DPS sins are single target Burst. IE, they suck in damage. Even in the Wakaflocka build, they still lack the AoE portion. I mean, why do smash maras get so much deeps? AoE. Pyrotechs? AoE. Well, railshot too, but a well placed DFA will faceroll. AoE is so crucial in WZs. Sins don't offer that much of it.

Also, nice necro.

2x Tankasin

2x Pyro PT.

1 Op heal

1 Sorc heal

1 hybrid tank jugg (can we get a clever name for this yet?)

1 carnage marauder.

Then you can switch back and forth node guarding as needed with the other sin.

u realise u need to cap a node before u can guard it... GL at it with this combo...