Apparently things are so bad they won't even let us unsubscribe...

Nonservium

The whole "It's launch day" thing is a bad argument and would never fly in another industry. If a new airline started up and the first day 2 of their planes crashed, I doubt the FAA would give them much of a "first day" pass on that.

That's a flawed analogy. Nobody's going to die if one of TOR's servers goes down, or they have to wait in a line.

Now, if you want to talk airplanes, let's try this one on for size. If everyone rushes the plane to board at once, nobody gets on in time, nobody gets the right seat, the plane probably doesn't leave on time, probably an injured flight attendant or two, and nobody's happy.

If you wait in a line (dare I say queue, instead?), then the plane loads in an orderly manner, and takes off on time. Maybe not everyone gets a seat, but the airline gets them on another plane soon as they can. Moral of the story is, it requires patience. When you go to the airport, you expect a line. When you go to the bank, you expect a line. When you go shopping during Christmas season, you expect lines.

The same is true of launch day on an MMO. Expect a line. Expect a bit of chaos as everyone scrambles to resolve the small issues that crop up and aren't easily foreseen. Folks saying the devs aren't communicating on issues don't seem to see that handy little feature called the "Dev Tracker". They were up-front about server queues, and said they're working hard as they can to resolve them. They seem to be working pretty hard on getting in touch with people having trouble, but when everyone makes their own thread about each problem they personally experience, in the wrong forums, you can't reasonably expect a support team to keep up and answer all of them.

Frankly, if this guy's having trouble cancelling his account, he should be posting in the CS forum, emailing, or phoning the support line.

If this was an event at my job, I would currently be pulling in every single employee I could, I'd have them mingling with the customers, assuring them that we are working on it, serving refreshments, comping all kinds of things and so on just to keep everyone happy. In the gaming industry however, good customer service consists of some clearly annoyed guy on the phone telling you that they are looking into it.

1.) How do you know they aren't pulling in all their employees? I'd be willing to bet they are all pulling crazy shifts, and working on support tickets in the order they were received in.

2.) Again, check the dev tracker. They are mingling, hitting on the bigger issues, letting people know they're looking into them, and there will be more information soon.

3.) How many events for your job involve handling several million people?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Frankly, if this guy's having trouble cancelling his account, he should be posting in the CS forum, emailing, or phoning the support line.

Apparently you missed them deleting multiple threads most without reading them and directing us to the single queue thread. My concern was less the queues themselves and more the communication on them from the bioware staff. It became over blown because I seem to be unable to remove my planned subscription from my account.

If you think you're going to get help from calling their support I have swampland I'd like to sell you while you're there.

Also, I received good information a few pages back where to get what I was looking for so it appears not only did this work, it worked better than every other option I tried.

Edit: If you think this was the only thing I tried, you're wrong.

Edited by Nonservium

How novel, trolls who can't read.

And here I thought I had seen it all....:rolleyes:

I'm aware that you think this is acceptable, I do not. You apparently missed the point of this thread which is, you can't even unsubscribe at this point in time....

Ignore them.

They justify any flaw in service due to their misunderstanding of how businesses that intend to keep customers actually function. It reminds me of some ancient religion in which they fear that you'll say something to offend their gods and all will incur the wrath, so naturally they're very vocal in their support and defense.

My wife had the same issue. She gave the queues three days before going back to a game she could actuallu play. Now the excuse is that it's launch day, last week it was another defense.

The bottom line is, not only are they charging for a service that's barely usable but you have to jump through hoops to stop being charged as well.

That's unacceptable for any business despite what some forum lurkers with no real world experience believe.

care to explain why? This is one of the few legit concerns i've seen. If he doesn't like the game, its his right to unsubscribe whenever he pleases. If the website won't LET HIM quit. Its their fault, not his. He doesn't enjoy the game, thats fine. Like a mature person he decided it wasn't for him and tried to quit. But if he can't, whats he supposed to do?

I suggest calling customer service, this forum is full of fanbois, trolls, and just plain idiots.

well considering he said he actually did like the game but not the way they have been communicating to the community, i dont really see any fanboying in the quoted statement, trolling of course but w/e it the mothafing forums, there be trolls here son. and I told everyone i talked to that i though this game would suck, been playing since the 15th and haven been greatly surprized, no ques either but if there are w/e. In all seriousness if you want to unsubscribe cool, if you cant do it today you can tomorrow, whats the difference? Why make the thread? What was the motivation behind it? Come on now guy.

Quite simply it is an idiotic knee jerk reaction to server queues.

I am currently in a 90 minute queue which is annoying, but it is to be expected during a MMO launch. I think the problem that we are seeing here are many people coming to the genre for the first time and over reacting. Christ there is even some idiot asking to make the game a single player experience.

90 minutes sound great. Many of us were placed by Bioware on predesignated servers which now have 5+ hour queues, a bit of a difference from 90 minutes. Everyone must have expected some queueing on launch week, maybe 30 minutes to an hour, but I'm sure even the most die hard fan will admit that wanting someone to pay for a service which requires a 5 hour wait daily, and no grace period for disconnects or crashes, is a bit extreme.

Start on another server you say? How about people did, and those filled as well, how many times do you expect people to restart? It's great game, but not *that* great.

I don't see how it's the customers obligation to continually adjust for flaws in the service, you know why? Because it's not.

I dig you. Solution is easy: Just spam them with support mails, if they don't respond call credit card company and ask for an immediate cancellation of the transfer. If a few people do this the credit card company will automatically contact bio/ea and at latest it will be fixed then.

Ignore them.

They justify any flaw in service due to their misunderstanding of how businesses that intend to keep customers actually function. It reminds me of some ancient religion in which they fear that you'll say something to offend their gods and all will incur the wrath, so naturally they're very vocal in their support and defense.

My wife had the same issue. She gave the queues three days before going back to a game she could actuallu play. Now the excuse is that it's launch day, last week it was another defense.

The bottom line is, not only are they charging for a service that's barely usable but you have to jump through hoops to stop being charged as well.

That's unacceptable for any business despite what some forum lurkers with no real world experience believe.

While I agree with your stance from the business perspective, I actually can understand them being overwhelmed from an I.T. perspective. It's the lack of communication that I felt was valid and the only real reason to seek other things to do with my time and money.

In short, if they weren't willing to talk to me/us then why should I be willing to pay them?

You have 30 days free from your game purchase, why have you even bought any game time yet? You have no need to unsub because you haven't subbed yet.

Pre-emptive strike, sir. I don't want to be billed any more than I have to if they can't talk to us in a manner that is meaningful and helpful.

The first 30-days is paid with the game. You can unsubscribe, but since you paid for the game, and already did the game code, you still will have to wait out the 30 days. Typical sub plan for any mmo.

Its not like you can return the game now, it is worthless without a useful code.

How novel, trolls who can't read.

And here I thought I had seen it all....:rolleyes:

I'm aware that you think this is acceptable, I do not. You apparently missed the point of this thread which is, you can't even unsubscribe at this point in time....

If you don't think queues are acceptable... on launch day. I'd suggest stop buying MMOs, and expecting to play.... on launch day.

It's like taking a pizza out of the oven, biting into it, then ************ that it burned your mouth.

The whole "It's launch day" thing is a bad argument and would never fly in another industry.

Have you ever been to an amusement park? Go in mid-July and you wait for an hour for a popular ride - standing, in 100 degree weather, for a 3 minute ride. But if you go in late September, you just stroll to the front of any line you want.

Yet, oddly, they don't annex the neighboring land and build 30 more rides.

See, that's called an analogy, but it's also an example of another industry that experiences the exact same type of lines and "flies" just fine.

Have you ever been to an amusement park? Go in mid-July and you wait for an hour for a popular ride - standing, in 100 degree weather, for a 3 minute ride. But if you go in late September, you just stroll to the front of any line you want.

Yet, oddly, they don't annex the neighboring land and build 30 more rides.

See, that's called an analogy, but it's also an example of another industry that experiences the exact same type of lines and "flies" just fine.

kind of a bad analogy considering the cost and effort it takes to buy more land, increase the size of the park, and build more rides, is alot less then increasing server cap or adding new servers.

Don't get me wrong, i don't agree with the people whining about servers. But your analogy is kind of off.

Pre-emptive strike, sir. I don't want to be billed any more than I have to if they can't talk to us in a manner that is meaningful and helpful.

I'm a little confused... have you setup a recurring sub plan? Unless you've given them your cc\debit info, your account sub will expire at the end of the 30 day sub term. There is no cancel account button per se. Maybe its already been addressed earlier in this thread.

Alot of the functions require you to enter your login and password a second time even though you are logged in already as a verification tool (ie, so you don't cancel the roomates account who forgot to log out, mad girlfriend, etc)

Maybe you're just doing it wrong....

try logging into the login page that comes up and go from there.

and really people, 1st day launch, everybody taking the day off, which even though most people complaining say they have been through MMO launches don't seem to remember that you shouldn't expect any decent playtime on launch day. As people leave, go back to work or switch servers, things even out then you end up with nice balanced servers....

for the long run