languages and laguage

Voronius

Facts : someone posted something in some non-english language and upon asking him to speak english on general i get called "english bi*ch" on the same general channel.

I would like to know what's the official stance against :

a) non english language on general chat on and english (declared) server

b) offensive language

If Bioware can't protect me for such things I think the quality of service drops a lot - short thing won't subscribe anymore.

The server has more and more a feeling of some private server for some crappy mmo where everyone can hop in and ruin the fun with bad attitude, and this is mostly since f2p came.

I don't mind you ppl looking for ways to make more money, but I do want the satisfaction i payed for and apparently those 2 facts colide a lot .

Edited by Voronius

first their is no rules reguarding what language is used in general chat their has been many threads about that already. Their is however rules on offensive language i would report the player to customer service and add them to your ingore list

first their is no rules reguarding what language is used in general chat their has been many threads about that already. Their is however rules on offensive language i would report the player to customer service and add them to your ingore list

Thanks for answering.If i may, the rule against offensive language implies using common language (english in this case - since english server) - this is my observation. If language is not known first how would you know if it's offensive ... since the need for all good ppl to adhere to the commonly accepted language - english here.

Also, I'm not an english native speaker myself but I would like to see such rule enforced here.

Thanks for answering.If i may, the rule against offensive language implies using common language (english in this case - since english server) - this is my observation. If language is not known first how would you know if it's offensive ... since the need for all good ppl to adhere to the commonly accepted language - english here.

Also, I'm not an english native speaker myself but I would like to see such rule enforced here.

". If language is not known first how would you know if it's offensive ..." - so why anyone should bother with offensiveness of unknown language? If you don't understand it, then you can't be offended.

If you presume offense in anything you don't understand by default... it's your problem. Seeing bad in people by default will get you a labeled as "jerk" or "hypocritical jerk" or something worse.

As far as i remember somewhere on this boards BW stated that using non english language in general is NOT against the rules.

It was noticed by someone that native english speakers are usually the least offended by non english language in general chat. Go figure...

P.S.: Вот интересно, удалят ли этот пост из-за "jerk" или из-за русского языка в английском форуме?:)

Кстати, презумпция виновности характерна для менталитета моих соотечественников.

Edited by Alexx_T

why would anyone bother flooding my general channel with non-informative (because in unknown language)

writing ?

Also - don't tell me i can ignore them cause because of f2p they are to many for that.

It's civil of them to make a separate guild/channel/group and talk there.

Sorry for second post but I would like to point out that using unknow language on the general chat is like feeding corrupted information on a channel that should stay clean and no, it's not my problem for seeing something bad in that - assume trying to make a bank robbery with a toy gun and claiming it's police fault for not having better examined the gun before arresting you.

Or acting strange( in an unknown / not understood way) in public - this will likely get you into trouble.

As well you have to consider that the difference between an english server and the french one is that most in game information ( most of the writing, 99% of game messages on general chat ) is in english not in other languages.

As a customer, chosing such server I expect this thing to be respected.Would have been very bad to have the game use more then one language on the same server, right ? ( like skills description in chinese, quests in hebrew, combat messages in english ...)

The fact that you want a russian server or tend to that because you can't fit on an existing one ( addapting - speaking the language of the server) it's realy not my problem - take it up with bioware, i would gladly have him open server in [insert your channel] to have the one i'm playing on cleaned up .

Edited by Voronius

The "English" in the English server indicates that the in-game customer support for that server is in the said language and it's a guideline for people speaking English to gather in one place. It is not, and it is not supposed to be, a prohibition.

No one has the right to force people into not using their native language in public. It is up to the speakers to decide whether or not they would use the common language, given that they are able to speak it. What is polite and what is good manners is another topic. This is a personal choice and not an offense to anyone. Only the guilds have their private rights to choose what members to accept and what language to use.

If the chat is being "flooded" or "spammed'" in any language then that calls for a report to Customer Support and ignore, as both of these violations of public chat are based on the amount and the rate in which text is being posted, not the content. As far as offensive language goes, reporting the harassment and ignoring are the actions to take and have been for many years in any similar online setting.

Funny is how many english speakers we have got on the german servers lately.

When you ask them, why they didn't just join an english server, they come back at you with: I heared the community here is good.

What does a good community offer you, when you don't understand them?