Replaying Class Story

MouseNoFour

If this feature was available as part of Legacy:

1. What do you think it will be worth in credits

2. What do you think it will be worth in Cartel Coins

3. What would you WANT it to be worth in both

My personal assumptions on how it would be implemented, based purely on the history of a full year of EAWare's handling of The Old Republic would be as follows:

1. It will be very rudimentary in its design - no special rewards or anything.

2. Will earn the same amount of XP for your current level if below the cap. 0 XP for a level 50 for the first class mission for example, but the same Legacy XP as you would normally gain at the correct level.

3. Will earn the same amount of Legacy XP as you normally would.

4. Would be rewarded with the exact same item rewards as the first time around. And maybe the same amount of credits as well.

5. Companions will have zero affection gains for conversations they would never be a part of the first time around - eg Khem Val wouldnt be present when you first meet Harkon and the same with Kira Carson on Tython.

6. There would be NO other benefits to replaying your class story, aside from companion affection gains, Light/Dark side points, Legacy XP and for the enjoyment of the story itself.

1. If anything it should provide you with credits. Not the other way around. I don't think it will cost us to unlock it.

2. Costs? Free. Why? It's a story and it's free already. Allowing people to replay their stories with existing characters will encourage them to spend more time in the game, get attached to their characters and... Buy cartel stuff for them or subscribe.

3. I'd expect it to provide some new unique orange pieces or scaled amount credits to fit level 50. Can't really expect them to make the story replays hard mode with all new rewards and balance.

Edited by Alec_Fortescue

I think it really depends on what the expansion is.

I always though Makeb extended our class stories. However, I keep on hearing that Makeb does not extend our class stories.

Now... If people are spreading misinformation that there are no class stories... I want justice. They deserve no jury.

I think it really depends on what the expansion is.

I always though Makeb extended our class stories. However, I keep on hearing that Makeb does not extend our class stories.

Now... If people are spreading misinformation that there are no class stories... I want justice. They deserve no jury.

This is where they said it.

Hi everyone - I asked Jeff Hickman for some clarification for you on whether Makeb will feature an extension of class stories. Here's the info:

"The intent for Rise of the Hutt Cartel is to continue your character's story, but envisioned as part of the ongoing struggle of the Empire vs. the Republic. There are lots of great moments for you to enjoy, and it will be shared as two clear storylines. No class specific storylines are included, though I know you guys are going to love what RotHC has to offer."

We hope this helps clarify!

This is where they said it.

In that case... then maybe replaying class stories might not go well with an expansion that does not expand on that.

Not sure.

Also thats not cool that they made an expansion without class stories which is one of the best things about swtor.

In that case... then maybe replaying class stories might not go well with an expansion that does not expand on that.

Not sure.

Also thats not cool that they made an expansion without class stories which is one of the best things about swtor.

Thats why so many subscribers are essentially peeved that they are having to pay for what is in essence a large content patch outside of subscriptions. If anything the only reason in most peoples eyes that the level cap is going up is because they felt 6-8 months ago that it was required to balance out there metrics to the required level and that this is going to create a have and have nots between not just f2p and subscribers but also subscribers and subscribers alot of whom this is forced upon to stay competative at endgame pve and within there pve guild.

Beyond that though to the subject in hand, i would like to see replay of missions but dunno how it would work out as even though it is limited they do have a culmative effect on the end cutscenes and convs.

Edited by Shingara

Class stories in this game should not be replayable unless you create a new character. You made your choices, therre is no going back and re-doing everything with the same character. I even remember reading something from a developer prior to launch that statedonce you make your choices there is no going back.

In a singleplayer game like Mass Effect replaying the story is fine. TOR, however, was never designed to have that option and should not have it. You made your choices, now you have to live with them. If you want to replay your story create a new character. Replaying the story with existing characters was never intended and should remain that way.

Class stories in this game should not be replayable unless you create a new character. You made your choices, therre is no going back and re-doing everything with the same character. I even remember reading something from a developer prior to launch that statedonce you make your choices there is no going back.

In a singleplayer game like Mass Effect replaying the story is fine. TOR, however, was never designed to have that option and should not have it. You made your choices, now you have to live with them. If you want to replay your story create a new character. Replaying the story with existing characters was never intended and should remain that way.

I never mentioned replaying the story to alter your choices. Hell, make the class missions autoplay the cutscenes with the choices i made long ago, and i would be quite content with that. Autodialogue i would be fine with.

For me, I wouldn't care if they made it to where you got no rewards whatsoever (no exp, no Light/Dark points, no creds, affection gain, nada)... I would just be thrilled to be able to play through my story again without the multi-weeks worth of leveling up required after starting a new class. Being level 50 and able to just breeze right through class missions for the sole enjoyment of the story would do it for me.

For me, I wouldn't care if they made it to where you got no rewards whatsoever (no exp, no Light/Dark points, no creds, affection gain, nada)... I would just be thrilled to be able to play through my story again without the multi-weeks worth of leveling up required after starting a new class. Being level 50 and able to just breeze right through class missions for the sole enjoyment of the story would do it for me.

I would agree.

I had this EXACT same thought last night. I don't want any rewards - you can keep all your credits, gear, light side/dark side points, and companion affection. I just want to play through my class story in a single shot - no interruptions from the planetary quests or the side quests required to level.

In a perfect world, they'd either tune the enemies to level 50 ("hard mode" class story) or use the PvP bolster mechanic in reverse to put us on the same level as the enemies. But I don't even care about this that much - I'd be SO HAPPY if I could replay my story at 50.

To the poster who wrote about decisions being final - that attitude was from the early days of the game's development. There was a time when we could have killed off our companions or missed them altogether (like in Baldur's Gate). If you want to RP your character that much. fine; for those of us who don't, why not let us replay our story?

I want to replay the story while keeping my social x and valor 90 I farmed for the whole year and being able to skip all the boring and repetitive and DISTRACTING planetary quests and miscellaneous ones. They are so distracting that at many times I am overwhelmed with quests and I am just following indicators without knowing for what, why and to who am I going.

Replayable class quests and companion dialogues is a sound idea. And getting "perfect" playthroughs with our existing characters would ba awesome, too. I'd never marry Vette again.

Honestly what i cannot believe is that they never once thought about have a different storyline for replays. Think about this, when you marry one of your companions, you talk about kids. So they should have made it to where your child arrives at the training grounds and is treated different and starts with different gear. It would have made the game story much more unique.

I never mentioned replaying the story to alter your choices. Hell, make the class missions autoplay the cutscenes with the choices i made long ago, and i would be quite content with that. Autodialogue i would be fine with.

I won't like autodialogue for me half the reason to do it would be to explore other options for resolving quests. However regardless of choice on the replay the only choice carried forward is the original decision - say originally I turned the comp DS I could replay and chose a different set of dialogue to generate the LS version. However as soon as I leave the mission ie for the rest of the game I still have my original DS choice. It just allows people to explore the options provided without the tedious grind of the world quests.

Your premise is fundamentally flawed. This is not a tabletop game; absolute roleplaying is not possible, and one does not live with one's own mistakes and decisions, but with uninformed and potentially OOC choices drawn from incomplete data.

Allow me to present an example. I've been leveling a Sith Warrior, because it's a story I haven't seen yet. My initial premise for the character was a straightforward, honor-driven type with a bit of a Mandalorian bent, with little respect for the sanctity of life but no particular malice, either. I also decided that she had absolutely no sense of humor whatsoever.

By the time I got to Dromund Kaas I was forced to completely abandon this character concept. My Sith Warrior is not a humorless rigid duty horse because the game does not actually allow that. A good 70% of dialog wheel choices are "show benevolent mercy," "act darkly amused," "act delightedly malicious." You cannot be rigidly formal and socially inept. You must make clever remarks on a regular basis or else be a simpering hardline lightsider.

I was forced to revise my warrior's personality until I found one I could actually consistently roleplay within the confines of the character written and the story that character inhabits. This is not unusual. This is universal. Under no circumstances in this game will you actually know who your character is until well into the first chapter, because it takes that long to get a sense of what the writers of that story are willing to allow and what choices you're going to have to make; not only that, but also to get a sense of the setting, of the particular rules that apply to your character and how he or she would have been raised and treated. It is only possible if you pretend that your character says and does things other than what happens on your screen, and ignore the actual acting and maintain every sentence actually comes out exactly the way you thought the paraphrase meant. So it has been with every BioWare game, even back to KotOR itself; how can you decide how your amnesiac Sith lord feels about the war she's been fighting in until you actually know what the fight is about and how it's gone?

The difference is, in a single player game you can just start over. Say "ok now that I know what it means to be a spacer in the Mass Effect universe, I'm going to start my main Shepard and know from the very beginning how that will affect his conversations about the Alliance."

In SWTOR you're screwed. Roll an alt and make all the right, in-character decisions now, sure. And use the wrong name, and enjoy missing out on the titles and pets and mounts and event perks and end-game gear that only your first toon will ever have had the chance to get, the datacrons that you can't bring yourself to spend three more hours trying to get to again, the codex entries from those sidequests and lore objects you've forgotten even exist. If you are at all a collector or an endgame person, your first 50 toon is your main by sheer game design fiat.

And that character probably spent the first chapter of the game making OOC decisions because you had no way to know how quest decisions would play out or what her character even was yet. (You probably also only progressed one companion storyline, and got the rest in an awkward out-of-sequence gift-spree lump at lvl 50 after your class story ended, and that's no fun either.)

The chance to fix that is appealing as hell. I would happily give up all of my companions and all their approval and start again from scratch, earning them in order all over via Hard Mode class story, if it let me take my main through again and make her act the way I now know she would act.

Agreed.

If this feature was available as part of Legacy:

1. What do you think it will be worth in credits

2. What do you think it will be worth in Cartel Coins

3. What would you WANT it to be worth in both

1. Not more than 5 kk.

2. 2k

3. 0/0

Such feature should have been here from the start. Personally I think it should give 0 xp and no rewards of any kind.

I think it doesn't even have to be a real replay. It can be something like your character remembers his past deeds. And you could access those missions by clicking on the holocron library on your ship, or whatever else if you're not a Jedi. Trooper could watch the recordings of his armor-cam that pretty much records everything he does, etc.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.