why are subs paying for an expansion??

Hungmike

Title says it all. Why the hell are we paying for a game monthly that is "FREE" to play and just to have to buy new content for a game that is "FREE" to play. Makes no sense. Subs should get all content in a "FREE" to play game for "FREE". Bioware, you better get your **** figured out or your game is going nowhere but into the toilet.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

subs are getting it 50 percent off.

I know..I know. 10 bucks is very hard to pay these days but hey...you could blow it on a mcdonalds meal :p

It's not about $9.99

Welcome, you have entered the...Hickman Zone.:eek: Where subscribers are ATMs...with feet.:p

Its not the $$$, I got that in my couch probably. Its the principal.

Yep, the principle. I spent $50 today between two other MMOs, but I won't give EA $10 for what was originally stated as nothing more than a content patch.

EA got greedy on this one. Another customer lost, just riding out the sub to Dec 24th playing the forum.

Edited by Jumajin

You are correct to put the word "FREE" in quotation marks. hence the reason you are asking why someone who is "PAYING" a subscription would have to "PAY" for an expansion. Full access to the game isn't free, in all the "FREE" to play games I've ever played the so-called "DLC" has never been "FREE". You need to try to "UNDERSTAND" that "FREE" =/= $0.

Eh 10 bucks isn't too terrible and i will be paying for it at the end of december. The thing that makes me smile is that F2P people must spend 20 bucks to be able to experience the new planet and the 5 more levels. The one thing I wish they would do is remove the wait on cartel market stuff. If your a subscriber it shouldn't have one while a F2P person should have to wait. But another thing I would like to see another benefit that comes from the weapons, armor and vehicles you can get through the market. A different look is good and all, but having an extra benefit would add some more value as well. Maybe a wider bladed lightsaber or giving blasters and cannons a unique color crystal that comes only with that weapon.

Eh 10 bucks isn't too terrible and i will be paying for it at the end of december. The thing that makes me smile is that F2P people must spend 20 bucks to be able to experience the new planet and the 5 more levels. The one thing I wish they would do is remove the wait on cartel market stuff. If your a subscriber it shouldn't have one while a F2P person should have to wait. But another thing I would like to see another benefit that comes from the weapons, armor and vehicles you can get through the market. A different look is good and all, but having an extra benefit would add some more value as well. Maybe a wider bladed lightsaber or giving blasters and cannons a unique color crystal that comes only with that weapon.

It's not about $9.99.

Welcome, you have entered the...Hickman Zone.:eek: Where subscribers are ATMs...with feet.:p

It's not about $9.99.

Really...? Twice in one thread? At least change the wording a little bit? Not that I disagree with you, but.... damn.

EDIT: after perusing the forums, I retract my surprise.

Edited by AboB

Really...? Twice in one thread? At least change the wording a little bit? Not that I disagree with you, but.... damn.

Well Its a tribute to EA/BioWare....They like to respond with cut and paste responses. I figured I would do the same.:p

Subs paying for an expansion is to be expected tbh.

Question should be why is makeb being called an expansion and expected to be payed for? Atm it doesn't sound like an expansion but an "adventure pack" at best.

It was a content upgrade according to MR. James Ohlen. Then it got hit by the Hickman Effect:eek:

Title says it all. Why the hell are we paying for a game monthly that is "FREE" to play and just to have to buy new content for a game that is "FREE" to play. Makes no sense. Subs should get all content in a "FREE" to play game for "FREE". Bioware, you better get your **** figured out or your game is going nowhere but into the toilet.

This is a like a DLC expansion. No matter if SWTOR ever went FTP or not I would expect sub to have to pay for this. This is standard in the mmo world..

Subs paying for an expansion is to be expected tbh.

Question should be why is makeb being called an expansion and expected to be payed for? Atm it doesn't sound like an expansion but an "adventure pack" at best.

You sir win a Brownie.. Yes if it was a full expansion it would be 39.99 like other games charge for expansions.

Bioware said this isn't a full expansion but more like a DLC so lets only charge 9.99..

Which ok by me!!!

This is a like a DLC expansion. No matter if SWTOR ever went FTP or not I would expect sub to have to pay for this. This is standard in the mmo world..

Except where it was billed as content update by Mr. James Ohlen, Its no standard to charge you subscribers for content upgrades.

DLC isnt a standard for subscription games at all, and if this were a real expansion i would be right on there screaming omg this is gonna be awesome, but this is a planet and 5 lvls which were touted by ohlsen as none expansion content, thats is standard mmo world talk for a patch.

Edited by Shingara

I'm so confused. As a subscriber, if I pre-order, it'll only be me paying to play five days early?

From the FAQs:

I’m a subscriber, why do I have to pre-order Rise of the Hutt Cartel?

You do not have to pre-order Rise of the Hutt Cartel, players who pre-order Rise of the Hutt Cartel receive five (5) days of Early Access if they pre-order by January 7, 2013 11:59PM CT // 5:59AM GMT.

DLC isnt a standard for subscription games at all, and if this were a real expansion i would be right on there screaming omg this is gonna be awesome, but this is a planet and 5 lvls which were touted by ohlsen as none expansion content, thats is standard mmo world talk for a patch.

What world are you living in. 9.99 dlc expansion are in LOTRO, AOC and a bunch of other free MMO's

They just don't call them a DLC I called them that.

I'm so confused. As a subscriber, if I pre-order, it'll only be me paying to play five days early?

From the FAQs:

Yes, If you pre-order. You will only get the 5 day early access.

Welcome to the....Hickman Zone:eek: Were subscribers are ATMs...with feet.:p

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.