The Republic: SWTOR is "Out of Control"

Peregrine_Falcon

I'm talking about Christmas or "holiday" items. Some of that crap should have been give-aways in quests etc to bring the community together. Not an item on the cartel market worth roughly 18 dollars for re skinned junk (speeder). Also, just because things are on the GTN does not make them available by playing the game They became available by other packs being opened. I don't care about exclusive items on the cartel market minus the Holiday stuff. But reskinning or slightly modifying gear that took people hours and hours of gameplay to attain only to be available on there is a slap in the face.

if they had those items in game just as many people if not more would be complaining that the items were crap and they only made good stuff for the cash shop.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, I see your point. I'd much rather they did something new though.

That would be good, Life Day would be good too.

Nothing and just very expensive stuff on the Cashshop = BAD though. :(

if they had those items in game just as many people if not more would be complaining that the items were crap and they only made good stuff for the cash shop.

And if the good stuff on the Cashshop was reasonably priced there'd be NO complaints and everyone would be happy. :)

Bottom Line:

Not making these items attainable through PLAYING the game is a huge mistake.

Yeah, again I don't think anyone would have really complained about them selling a Santa Mount for $18.00 if you could have reasonably got it through in game methods.

Yeah, again I don't think anyone would have really complained about them selling a Santa Mount for $18.00 if you could have reasonably got it through in game methods.

Exactly. It's just so much easier and lazier for them to throw them on the cash shop and call it "Life day". It just grinds my gears so much, when you have other MMOS that are FREE 2 PLAY, having cool holiday events.

Hoth or Ilum would have been a great place for this "event". sigh.

Imagine snowball fights as open world pvp....20 valour a take down. I can dream, I suppose......

They stated they aren't doing Christmas events since they prefer the randomness of having their current events. Which I also prefer make things more sporatic. The life-day stuff which is completely optional is perfect to me.

Tobe fair an xmas event would have been amazing as it would give us something todo and have fun and they could have really knocked it out of the park by doubling it up with the aniversary. But all we got was some fireworks that are basically pap and the option to purchase a set of red robes ??? seriously or purchasing an $18 vehicle that im still sure hickman is laughing his head off just as much as he smirked when he said it was amazing.

They should have allowed for a way in game to get them even if it meant alot of work that took 2 weeks to complete and i dont mean with the releasing a quest every day.

You may as well argue that no one would complain abotu the price of a Lexus if there was an alternative to paying actual money for one....

You may as well argue that no one would complain abotu the price of a Lexus if there was an alternative to paying actual money for one....

You may as well argue that your life and the game are all in the same. Are you going to go quest for the raw materials and find the golden hexes above the Dealer's heads to see what you have to do next?....." Find me four rims, without stealing them from your fellow citizens.".

Go have some more eggnog.

Lexus vs $18 dollar virtual snow blower straight out the space park... I totes see how these two things are similar.

Bad analogy is well really bloody awful actually. Please try again if there was a point you were trying to make here.

It is actually quite good. Saying having to pay for something is ok as long as you can get it without paying for it is the whole point of the previous poster's comment.

You may as well argue that your life and the game are all in the same. Are you going to go quest for the raw materials and find the golden hexes above the Dealer's heads to see what you have to do next?....." Find me four rims, without stealing them from your fellow citizens.".

Go have some more eggnog.

We are talking about spending real money on items, are we not. That's about as "real life" as you can get.

You can buy a Lexus in any real world currency you want, which in a game is what cartel coins , credits, real dollars and even your time in the form of quests are.

Who is willfully blind here?

Pretty sure the cost of a Lexus (or whatever) isn't effectively $0.00 (or free for the non-mathematicians).

Which it is for the Santa speeder. :csw_yoda:

Exactly. It's just so much easier and lazier for them to throw them on the cash shop and call it "Life day". It just grinds my gears so much, when you have other MMOS that are FREE 2 PLAY, having cool holiday events.

Hoth or Ilum would have been a great place for this "event". sigh.

Imagine snowball fights as open world pvp....20 valour a take down. I can dream, I suppose......

Yeah its the combination of no anniversary event, no winter event and the riculous explotation of Life Day (The Cashshop Special) that makes it so annoying.

That they are trying to charge $18.00 for a Santa speeder is just the cherry on the top. :mad:

It is actually quite good. Saying having to pay for something is ok as long as you can get it without paying for it is the whole point of the previous poster's comment.

Again a Lexus (or whatever) costs a lot to reseach to design and then to build (every single time).

A reskinned santa mount costs a tiny amount ONCE, and then is utterl free to produce every time after that.

On top of that you're not already paying a subscription to Lexus.

And following this anaolgy to it's silly end, indeed every other car manufaturer DOES give away their cars for free (as ever MMORPG but SWTOR does have winter events).

So I can't see your point. :confused:

In episode 117 of The Republic, Gary Gannon says that SWTOR is "out of control." Referring to the pay-to-win space gear and the reskinned $18 Christmas speeder.

The Republic 117: Out of Control

Interestingly enough, according to this article on Massively, SWTOR is the only AAA western MMO that isn't having a Christmas event.

So what do you think? Are the GamebreakerTV guys off the mark? Do you feel the same way they do?

Please note: I am not in anyway affiliated with either GamebreakerTV or Massively. I just wanted to bring this info to the community's attention.

I would say they are spot on. Some really bad decisions has been made to the game and this $18 is one of them.

I could not care less about it because I would never buy it no matter how cheap it is but $18 for a mount that is one character only is a bit over the top.

Its funny that people still think Christmas is a Christian holiday...

Indeed.

Personally I'm trying to stop my habit of translating "Jul" to "Christmas", and simply wishing people a good "Yule" instead. "Life Day" works too, for a laugh. ;)

And, yes, the pricing for Cartel Market items is insane, and the lack of a proper holiday event is idiotic. The Secret World, which is in more or less the same boat as SWTOR, has had a bunch of story content additions and events this year, including an "end of the world" event last week. Plus, they give subscribers more virtual currency per month, as well as free items, discounts, and other perks.

Edited by JediMB

Im a huge fan of TOR but tbh these guys were right on this one expecially the 18 dollar speeder. And they hit the nail on the head when they said it was even a cool mount. Ill have to see what happens from here out but if there going to keep this up i might have to reconsider playing this game due to there pricing and how subscribers are getting charged insane amounts for vanity items that should be in game via quests.

Twice lol, watch it again. who was it that came up with the jesus patch name, who was it that hyped the game to hell, who is it that makes a show about something they dont even play anymore. And his excuse is ow but he wants the game to be good, enough to bring him back. Ye right pull the other one cos that has bells on it.

He spent how long on an xmas mount you dont need, dont have to buy and arnt forced to use hmm.

no he made a valid point and that was this should have been a gift to subscribers not charge them 18 bucks for a lame mount.

Its funny that people still think Christmas is a Christian holiday...

What's really funny is the amount of misinformation and projection (based on mind projection fallacy) that I see on this board daily. From the game, to now Christmas, people just blurt out assumptions like they are giving out candy.

"polling numbers: “80% of all Americans are Christians, and 95% of all Americans who have a religion are Christian,” he reports. Even with the rise of “nones” — people with no religious affiliation — nine out of ten Americans answer “Yes” when asked if they believe in God."

I would say they are spot on. Some really bad decisions has been made to the game and this $18 is one of them.

I could not care less about it because I would never buy it no matter how cheap it is but $18 for a mount that is one character only is a bit over the top.

You won't pay 18 dollars for the red neck mobile? ;) I wouldn't use that crappy looking thing even if they gave it away for free.

There are some valid points raised. I personally think it's better if BW focuses on delivering Makeb instead of spending time on a holiday event.

This year was really hard on everyone BioWare Austin. I think we as the fans should acknowledge that and give them some time to show us, that they are committed to making this game what the fans of the game want it to be.

Let's remember that SWTOR is their first MMO and they need to learn. Yes I know that they have some MMO veterans on the team. Everyone makes mistakes, it doesn't mean they can't learn from it, and avoid these mistakes in the future.

With or without the holiday or anniversary event I see that the server population isn't dropping. Which is a good sign. SWTOR currently doesn't need a event to hold the attention of the player.

I personally will wait for ROTHC, I have hopes for the update/expansion and I think it could give us a clearer picture of the future of this game.

if it has a level cap increase, new zone, x and y features, it will cost cash, despite constant ignorant statements on these forums, they never said that this content would NOT cost cash, only that they were looking at multiple ways of how they could release the content, and they decided to give a new xpac out for 10$...which is like 30 dollars minimum less than the standard price of expansions, and you COMPLAIN? they havent given the details of all that will be included with it, but clearly state that more info will be coming out over the coming months on all the stuff coming with the expansion.

Other MMO's typically add multiple new zones, in the neighborhood of 3-6, along with many other features like trade skills, raiding content, new gear models, and a completely new story which is why they charge 30.00 minimum.

1 zone with all the rest having possibly major let downs for most, charging subbers after implying they may not is pretty pathetic, I do not care how cheap it is. I have played many MMO's including EQ, DAoC, a stint in SWG, CoH, a stint in LOTRO, and WoW, this Makeb business is far more comparable to a content patch than an expansion. In fact, they have yet to announce ANYTHING that make it comparable to an expansion that's worth purchasing.

Edited by Rezakh