Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

So much for not charging subs for Makeb

Lucyfer_Infinity

You also paid $15 a month for nearly 10 months with no new content in waiting on MOP. We seem to be doing a little better than that in SWTOR. (for now)

No I didn't wait. I quit WoW in between 4.2 and 4.3 patch. I didn't resub for 4.3 due it's lack luster pve content and downward trend in pvp.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My major concern here is if they are willing to sell a very large content update, and people buy it. Whats to prevent them from selling a WZ or Op/Fp for say 4.99. Hell five dollars is cheap right? The slope is getting very slippery very quickly.

Very large content update such as this one can be sold without a question, and you and i both know that they will never ask a subscriber to pay 5$ for a small content patch and yet you have decided to hijack another thread.

Your concern is legit however don't keep repeating that all this rant is not about 10$ for Makeb, because it is regardless of the way you try to present it, if it were free then we wouldn't be having this discussion would we?

All in all, i will say again, bring on the expansion, i am always looking forward to new content.

Large amount of new content for measly 10$ always tops the option of having no large content updates at all and keeping ten bucks in my pocket.

Edited by Vlacke

My major concern here is if they are willing to sell a very large content update, and people buy it. Whats to prevent them from selling a WZ or Op/Fp for say 4.99. Hell five dollars is cheap right? The slope is getting very slippery very quickly.

Where was the slippery slope argument as they rolled out BH/SectionX/TFB/Hk-51/Hypergate and any of the other "free" content ads? That's a record you can look at.

Now if you think all of that gets brushed aside because they are going to charge 10-20 bucks for a major content pack....then it smacks of entitlement mentality. You can say it's not about the 9.99 and try and claim principle. But principles have already been met with alot of free stuff.

They need to make money on this product as well. they arent in business to pay salaries, buy popular licensing rights and then just give it all away because a guy 6 months ago wasnt calling it an expansion.

it's fun, it's a game...but it's also business. When you dont make money, you close shop. Plain and simple.

Edited by RichT

Very large content update such as this one can be sold without a question, and you and i both know that they will never ask a subscriber to pay 5$ for a small content patch and yet you have decided to hijack another thread.

Your concern is legit however don't keep repeating that all this rant is not about 10$ for Makeb, because it is regardless of the way you try to present it, if it were free then we wouldn't be having this discussion would we?

All in all, i will say again, bring on the expansion, i am always looking forward to new content.

No where did I say I wasn't going to buy Makeb. But, Let me make its clear. again. What is to stop them for selling it for $5...I am not as confident as you, they will not try.

All in all, i will say again, bring on the expansion, i am always looking forward to new content.Large amount of new content for measly 10$ always tops the option of having no large content updates at all and keeping ten bucks in my pocket.

Agreed.

One thing we know..if a product sells, they make more. That goes for any business. My wife and I are both buying this expansion pack because we love this game, and we want as much new content as they want to throw at us.

The Nerve ! The Gall ! The Moxy ! Why for $10 I could buy 1/6 of a tank of gas! I could almost get lunch! I could rent a movie! I could add $60 to that $10 bucks and buy any other new video game! And Bioware expects me, ME to spend $10 on something that im only going to enjoy for Several Months?!?

*Shakes fist at bioware*

How dare you sirs......how dare you -.-

Rent movies? Plz if you know where to look you can watch for free!

Well 1st of all there was no content update after EC fpr months because F2P was prepared. Then we got TFB and AHG and that is basically it. The game consists of 90 % story lvling content. We have 4 raids now and 5 Wzs now. After one year. 2 raids and 2 wzs have been added thoughout a year and notihhng during F2P preparation. Now they jump straight forward and want to charge everybody again after they did close to nothing after launch. And that is one bad act.

Um, they also added two FPs, had two events, a new companion quest line, and added a number of "quality of life" upgrades. "additions" to the game do not HAVE to be of the end-game variety all the time. Just sayin'

The Nerve ! The Gall ! The Moxy ! Why for $10 I could buy 1/6 of a tank of gas! I could almost get lunch! I could rent a movie! I could add $60 to that $10 bucks and buy any other new video game! And Bioware expects me, ME to spend $10 on something that im only going to enjoy for Several Months?!?

*Shakes fist at bioware*

How dare you sirs......how dare you -.-

Makeb was supposed to be Free but its not even about the money. If it's worth it then i'll buy it but lets not call it an expansion because at best its a content patch in content(if all we are getting is what is advertised so far), renaming it to "expansion" doesn't change that.

I wonder how long Makeb has been ready for, I wouldnt be surprised if it was ready, or almost ready before F2P hit and they just decided to sit on it to see how things went.

Edited by smexymage
additional info

It's simple Makeb cost $10, which is at best a mini expansion. MoP cost $19.99 on amazon, which is a real/full expansion. Now which would you buy based on cost vs content?

Based on how crappy WoW is doing and the fact it's only going downhill? Makeb, thanks.

Blizzard gave Cataclysm away for FREE to people who resubbed. How can you even start to compare the two?

There are two issues:

1. Some reckon it's not really an expansion, and that the promised content is more patch-sized.

2. More importantly, it's an expansion that has been made by pulling together and scrapping patch content, so that you basically just have to pay to get your game improvements and patch content that would otherwise been released in maybe 2-3 patch chunks. It also means that the upcoming patches themselves will be minimal.

And you're going to pay for it. Have fun.

Yeah, it certainly has the feel of a transition to paying for patches. I cancelled my sub - I'll F2P it and decide if I want to pay then.

That is my thought exactly, at what point will they say a patch is big enough to call it an expansion. And what will they do or we do if they decide hmm these 2 patchs could go together if one is pushed back for whatever reason and wham that there becomes an expansion not because the patch is big enough to allow it based on the standard but on the fact one over shot.

Edited by Shingara

Rent movies? Plz if you know where to look you can watch for free!

where are you renting at? all the rental stores are closed except for the redbox, i have yet to max out one of my toons. im an altaholic . i keep making new toons after i reach 50. Now i have to make them all 55. this is going to be good :)

Where was the slippery slope argument as they rolled out BH/SectionX/TFB/Hk-51/Hypergate and any of the other "free" content ads? That's a record you can look at.

Now if you think all of that gets brushed aside because they are going to charge 10-20 bucks for a major content pack....then it smacks of entitlement mentality. You can say it's not about the 9.99 and try and claim principle. But principles have already been met with alot of free stuff.

They need to make money on this product as well. they arent in business to pay salaries, buy popular licensing rights and then just give it all away because a guy 6 months ago wasnt calling it an expansion.

it's fun, it's a game...but it's also business. When you dont make money, you close shop. Plain and simple.

For me the line was drawn with those by the fact that F2P players had to buy it but subscribers got it as part of there subscription, that is or was the only redeming feature of a subscription.

When you don't have customer's because you treated the like dirt. you don't make money, you close shop.

I did not disregard the content we have gotten. But obviously you have forgotten there was no content from May til August. selective memory much? I understand, You think I am a hater. If you go look at my posting history, you will find I was not what you think I am 24 hours ago. I understand my thinking to my seem foreign or old fashioned, I have been told that many times. Still doesn't make me wrong.

Makeb was supposed to be Free but its not even about the money. If it's worth it then i'll buy it but lets not call it an expansion because at best its a content patch in content(if all we are getting is what is advertised so far), renaming it to "expansion" doesn't change that.

6 months ago maybe they thought it would be free. 2 months later while still in it's development, BW stated they were not sure and recently you found out it was not free but it's not about the money...right?

It's about worth, which you know very little about to base any real decision on just yet. For all you know, it warrants being called an expansion and not a content patch. You know your getting more than what was advertised so far cause it clearly says, "More info to be released in the months to come."

I wonder how long Makeb has been ready for, I wouldnt be surprised if it was ready, or almost ready before F2P hit and they just decided to sit on it to see how things went.

Given BW - I highly doubt makeb is any where near ready given some of the things we're currently dealing with in the live game.

Edited by Quraswren

6 months ago they thought it would be free. 2 months later in it's development, BW stated they were not sure and recently you found out it was not free but it's not about the money...right?

It's about worth, which you know very little about to base any real decision on just yet. For all you know, it warrants being called an expansion and not a content patch. You know your getting more than what was advertised so far cause it clearly says, "More info to be released in the months to come."

Given BW - I highly doubt makeb is any where near ready given some of the things we're currently dealing with in the live game.

You may be shocked to find out what EA/BioWare considers ready.

6 months ago they thought it would be free.

It's nice to see you've come around to my way of thinking. :)

It's looking like March 2013 at the earliest.

You may be shocked to find out what EA/BioWare considers ready.

No doubt but that does go for the both of us given how little we know.

It's nice to see you've come around to my way of thinking. :)

Not really, I just like pandering to the moronic ideal that thought a 6 month old statement really held any weight when they had to join 2 different peoples conversation to make a rather weak point then still held onto it today after clearly seeing and knowing that would not be the case in any way.

It's looking like March 2013 at the earliest.

As long as more information comes out to warrant it's purchase I'll be there. 5 days early not enough for me to drop a dime knowing how game companies like to change things.

Edited by Quraswren

Already bought mine. If you want more content, you have to pay the developers to generate it.

Muzzle not the coder who builds thy game.

isnt that what subs are for cos im sure we carried on paying subs even in the content draught, how long was that anyhows, anyone remember and i dont wanna point at how long illum has been broken either.

Edited by Shingara

This is not about the money for me, this is this 'Line in the sand' moment regarding what kind of game SWTOR is becoming

Lets face it this 'Expansion' is nothing more that a content update that was to be given as part of the subscription, it's been held back whilst the F2P transition kicked in and the Slippery slope down towards P2W kicks in as we've seen recently with the last batch of items to go on the store.

Anyway, this is not about $9.99 to me at all, this is about EA/BW using this game as some kind of bizarre and freaky experiment in how far they can push the boundaries with regards to what customers will tolerate. One thing is certain imho, if people accept paying $9.99 for a patch on top of paying for subs and P2W items in stores then you can bet this is the future for the game, and if they think they can get away with it they will just keep pushing and pushing, patches will start getting more expensive and delivering less, items on the store more powerful and the game tweaked so that in gameplay terms there is more reliance on store bought items.

So no, this is not about a mere $9.99, this is about a game being fundamentally changed and a company that is pushing things too far imho and who do not have any respect for their customers, the game or the franchise because if they did have any respect they would not be treating this like some horrible experiment in mmo subscription customer retention limits in the face of increasing micro transaction costs and impact.

Well they found my limit, account cancelled.

There are two issues:

1. Some reckon it's not really an expansion, and that the promised content is more patch-sized.

2. More importantly, it's an expansion that has been made by pulling together and scrapping patch content, so that you basically just have to pay to get your game improvements and patch content that would otherwise been released in maybe 2-3 patch chunks. It also means that the upcoming patches themselves will be minimal.

And you're going to pay for it. Have fun.

So.. basicly..

The 2 major issues for you are based on assumptions.

Good to know. Moving on.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.