The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Op PvP, Worth it?

Esnu

I just started a new operative and it seems pretty awesome. I like the play style because it kinda reminds me of a rogue but more futuristic. However I'm not to familiar with end-game pvp since I have no level 50s. I'm not much of a PvE person so would Operative be a good choice for end-game PvP? I would appreciate details too, Thanks.

I just started a new operative and it seems pretty awesome. I like the play style because it kinda reminds me of a rogue but more futuristic. However I'm not to familiar with end-game pvp since I have no level 50s. I'm not much of a PvE person so would Operative be a good choice for end-game PvP? I would appreciate details too, Thanks.

Hi,

if you would play medic, then hands down Ops medics are really shiny, in good hands i'd dare say best for PVP of other classes.

Dps wise, the Lethality is almost unusable in engame PvP - due to relying on DoTs - and DoT break mezzes etc, also TA management on Lethality is very stressfull to handle. In PvE is better a bit than concealment i'd say though.

Concealment tree is definitely usable in PvP, but not shiny. In endgame, if you'd play with a team, that knows what exactly is you Op capable of doing and 'play along' then it is OK.

In PuGs i'm afraid the other stealth class - Assassins is doing simply better job.

So there is no shot for me using dps end-game pvp as an operative? That's dissapointing :/

I didn't say it is not possible. Lethality - no. Unfortunately, but no. Concealment - yes. It is viable to use. You just wont shine, but if you love operative, after you gear it to max, it is usable. Again (unfortunately) the assassins is big competition for Concealment ops in endgame.

This is just my 'imho' very humble opinion. If you love the play, go for it, i don't want to discourage you, make your own judgement.

Ops do have a roll to play in PvP it's consealment. That spec has some amasing lock downs and some really good burst if you know what you are doing but saddly with all the nurfs we have gotten be prepaired for a tough uphill battle to get the good gear to be really good in PvP. But don't be dishearted it is so much fun to do and once you get it everyone else better watch there back because you will be taking off 75% of there health in your opening burst if you are lucky and once that is done they are yours gifted wraped if no one else comes and bail them out. Well thats how it norm goes for me so yes they do have a place in PvP but it's a slog to get the gear and depending on how much armor and expertise they have depends on how much health you take off. Edited by Darkchip

As was said, the medic route is probably the best for PvP simply because Ops can put out great numbers while having mobility, compared to the Sorc/Sage healers who have long cast times on their abilities and are more rooted in place. Certainly a joy to play.

As for DPS, it that's the route you want to go then by all means go for it. As has been said, it's definitely an uphill battle to get the proper gear and then learn how to apply the abilities you have in an PvP environment but once you get it you can be a real force to rekon with. They can be a real blast to play, sometimes for the 'troll' factor alone, although you'll have to be ok with a lot of the stuff you do not showing up on the scroeboard. Most of the time though, the knowledge that you helped out a lot is enough. Have fun with it!!

I was in full champion gear with BM earpiece when I resubbed a little over a month ago. Warzone PVP sucked butt and I was amazed at how little in damage/kills I was contributing. Unrecorded/unrewarded utility actions like harrassing/interrupting healers and snaring/jarring strike ball carriers/cappers and DOT'ing other stealthers weren't too bad, but being an annoying mosquito doesn't get you the 8 medals.

I have 3 pieces of War Hero at the moment and I'm fairing much better. I can kill 14.5k health heavy armor players without too much of a struggle. I can solo undergeareds now!

I had the same idea when rolling a new alt, I didn't have a stealthy character and the Concealment Agent looked nifty

It is fun to play in PVP, and I do ok... Currently level 30ish.

Doffers, what sort of build do you use? And do you have any tips? :)

I have full wh and ewh weapons. And modded bracers and belt.

Full conceal tree. 15 sec reduction on debilitate. +9% cunning

Would link the skill tree but im on Android atm...

Tips..

Don't forget about explosive probe. Its awesome.

You don't always have to be in melee range to do significant damage. Avoiding big brawls, popping darts and frags and then running in at the end works well for me.

It's obvious-but be smart and be aware of buffs that are active on your opponent ie bubbles or wz buffs etc..

Practice loads and know you rotation and ccs well, then you can solo 2 people! (if they aren't too well geared)

Someone mentioned that it's hard to get 8 medals but I think op is the easiest to do it with.

You should easily get 2.5ksingle hit, 2.5k single heal, 75kdmg, 1vs1,killing blow, def/attack points.

When you get fully geared 300k damage and 75k heals will be relatively easy to get too.

After hidden strike, shiv and dart, I love Rooting them, explosive probe them, and then backstabbing. Can get a big hit with EP and BS in one. They don't know what's hit them.

I'm not a pro so please can trolls avoid quoting this post and nit picking any faults. Its just how I play...

So there is no shot for me using dps end-game pvp as an operative? That's dissapointing :/

If it cheers you (and everyone else here) up at all, we had a server-wide PvP tournament this weekend on Red Eclipse, and a concealment op made the final. He lost to a (great) guardian in the final, but he did beat a pretty good assassin in the semi (should say he killed me too in the first round, fwiw).

If you are alright with just playing Pug WZs, not ranked, then Concealment is totally viable. You need to be smart and use your abilities well, but the class is 100% capable of shining in a pug environment. Some basic tips that will help you out:

1. Stack Explosive Probe with a Backstab/Acid Blade as a "finisher". Ops don't have a finisher like Snipers (Takedown) and Sins (Assassinate), so you need to plan ahead with these abilities. Dropping an Explosive Probe and then bursting with a Backstab/AB application is a huge stack of damage that will finish off both healers and tanks alike.

2. Toxin Scan to remove effects whenever possible, ESPECIALLY the Sniper/Gunslinger knockback root.

3. Use speccd Sever Tendon (and Flashbang) to buy you time to kite, LOS, and heal.

4. Don't waste Orbital Strike if targets will just run out of it. The only time you should throw this on a node is a) In Voidstar if you already planted on the door, b) at a Huttball choke point against a target that can't charge, c) if you are solo defending against multiple attackers. Otherwise, only use it if you can stun/snare a target in its radius.

5. Never waste big damage CDs (Hidden Strike, Backstab, Explosive Probe, Debilitate, etc.) into Resilience/Force Shroud. I see a lot of stupid Ops wasting their best moves into this outrageously powerful Shadow/Sin CD. Don't be that idiot.

There are a TON of other tips I could give, but those are the big ones that jump to my mind now. Follow this advice, and other advice like it, and you will have all the tools you need to shine in Pug WZs.

Ranked WZs, however, are not a good place for Ops. The best Ops/Scoundrels are even better as Sins/Shadows, with vastly increased utility and survivability, outperforming sustained DPS, and almost comparable burst damage. YOu can still shine as a healer, but you won't cut it as DPS.

And modded bracers and belt.

Full conceal tree.

If your going full Concealment tree, your better off getting ~60-70 (total) Black Hole coms and buying 2 pieces of Campaign armoring and grabbing the PVE +15% to Back Stab crit set bonus. Gives you more then just the stats you get from doing the bracers and belt.

If your going full Concealment tree, your better off getting ~60-70 (total) Black Hole coms and buying 2 pieces of Campaign armoring and grabbing the PVE +15% to Back Stab crit set bonus. Gives you more then just the stats you get from doing the bracers and belt.

I have this in gloves and boots

LETHALITY - will leave you wanting more out the skill tree... some can probably play it well but its a tough AC to play in my book.

MEDICINE - Its a healing machine! once you get some experience on this you could easily fall in love with it :D

CONCEALMENT - its like a Rogue in wow or a spy in SWG youre the opportunistic class! You can easily pick out and annoy a class with this spec - Im a healer and i get one on my arse, i am in trouble!

• 3 weeks later...
LETHALITY - will leave you wanting more out the skill tree... some can probably play it well but its a tough AC to play in my book.

MEDICINE - Its a healing machine! once you get some experience on this you could easily fall in love with it :D

CONCEALMENT - its like a Rogue in wow or a spy in SWG youre the opportunistic class! You can easily pick out and annoy a class with this spec - Im a healer and i get one on my arse, i am in trouble!

One thing IA op is nothing like my spy on swg, I could beat anyone on the sever 1 v 1 with my melee dmg spec spy. They being any class any amount of buffs Hands down easy!

Bloodfin "TcImp"

Columbo

dps in ranked - guard turret in stealth and call for help, but imao assasins are better

heal - great healers

i suggest go healing if you have operative, its like sorcerer, their dps is useless, thats why clever ppl only heal with sorc

healing operative does often 1000hps +, dps operative never did it ... so go heal and ppl will love you

• 2 weeks later...