Do you want SWTOR to keep the VA in the future?

Slowpokeking

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Use the same Voice actors if their characters have dialog in future content? I know it cost money but really, it's just super awesome to have so many great voice actors and hope recast never happens.

I like the VO dialogue and think it's a great part of the game. But, I don't think the actors that voiced the classes I've played are anything special.

For example, the Knight - if he is someone who was paid a ton because of who he is, I don't think it was worth the money. The VO can easily be done by someone who costs less and be just as engaging.

Leaving VO out side missions, as some have mentioned makes sense, is debatable. I get the argument, but I actually still like doing the side missions and listening to the VO work, even if I know what the quest is. If that were left out, I think a large part of what makes SWTOR questing unique would be lost. And the questing in this game is the best part, for many players. BioWare got that part of SWTOR completely right.

In short: VO quests are a must for the game moving forward, but I don't believe the actors for the classes I've played are anything special. It would be odd to change them now, however. VO for side missions are something I'd prefer, but I also want to see new planets/story reasonably often, and so far we've seen none.

Edited by arunav

Use the same Voice actors if their characters have dialog in future content? I know it cost money but really, it's just super awesome to have so many great voice actors and hope recast never happens.

Absolutely. Quite honestly it sets the game apart. I know, there are some that are proposing to eliminate voice acting as the elite are "spacebaring" through the conversations as the story becomes less relevant. However, I don't think making farming HMs or Ops more convenient is how this game will keep its subs. The key is new content and... story, story, story.

I recently went back to another MMO to see what was going on. After the first series of quests, I quit and came right back. It wasn't engaging. It seemed rudimentary. This game has brought a real sense of story to MMOs, it must maintain that as a selling point. The primary way to do that is with good voice acting and good writing.

For example, the Knight - if he is someone who was paid a ton because of who he is, I don't think it was worth the money. The VO can easily be done by someone who costs less and be just as engaging..

The Knight is David Hayter, aka Solid Snake.

It all depends if Bioware will want to fund full VO for the expansion (Not to mention tracking down all the Voice Actors used) Something tells me they wont but we can always hope

At least keep the main characters and the classes' VA, that's what I am hoping.

WC3's VA are quite good but they recast many characters later, Arthas and Sylvanas's new VA are horrible.

Yes, of course. The VA In this game is one of the things that makes it special.

On the other hand, VA is very expensive and the content is burned through very quickly. BW has limited resources and making repeatable end game content yields better ROI.

I would say that they need to keep trying to attract more F2P players so that they can actually justify the expense. Ideally, the cartel shop gets to a point where it's so sustainable that they can give everything else out for free. Then use voice acting only on class quests, or if that's still too expensive, just have one main planet quest that's done really well. Everything else can be mission boxes.

No, I'd way rather them spend the money on features that actually make the game better in the long run.. VO is good for 1 run through and I'm sure im not the only one who can say they dont really give a **** about planetary quests...Skip sthrough most of them anyways after playing 1 char always the same kind of ****, it just gets stale..

I'd way rather them put the time and effort in to something more meaning full. Some people say that its what seperates this game from the rest but as we can see now they spent all there money there while ignoring so many other features on the development of the game.. For the effort it seems to take , it really takes a toll on the rest of the game and not to mention means slower development of content because of that.

A lot of the main actors do a lot of work for Bioware, just look them up on IMDB, so they're likely contracted.

Ultimately though, I'd prefer options for voices, sometimes the voice doesn't suit the character you make

That would make the game take your whole hard drive.

When I first started playing in the beta and my trooper met Aric for the first time I was so excited. I loved Psych and they got Lassiter for one of my companions! I kept expecting to hear "Shut up Spencer." Keeping the voice actors would be pretty cool but I'd love to see some new names for upcoming npcs. How about General Garza gets replaced by a Twi'lek general voiced by Christopher Walken! That would be amazing.

The main part of TOR was voice acting....so yes.

It's one of the prime reasons I bought the game.

Story is the man feature of swtor. The problem is that it´s just about the only feature. I may be exagerating a bit, but i miss more features that would belong in a mmo. A stupid little thing like sitting in a chair. Sitting at the bar and getting a drink. Silly items like picknick basket and beer kegs. And most of all, more things to do at level 50.

bEAware said they made sector X so we would have more to do at 50. But they missed by a mile. We dont need more of the same. We need different things to do. Before we had geargrind (pve or pvp) and daily com grind. That was the only 2 types of grind. And that´s still the only 2 types of grind.

Adding a couple of minigames with ex. a small chance of winning a pet would have been a new "grind" Maybe not much of an update but it would be something new. Still imo the one thing that´s hurtng swtor the most is the lagg and the random dc´s and the ability delays. I dont know if ability delays have to do with lagspikes, but sometimes when you use ex. taunt, it apears to be used, the cooldown sets in, but nothing happens. It is so bad that i have to stop pushing buttons for 1 sec before taunting just to be relatively sure i dont "miss" my taunt.

I can live with bugs, i can live with lots of bugs. If they are visual bugs and doesn´t realy affect the game. Like the companion lightsaber bug, or the jump to lightspeed bug, but laggspikes and ability delays ? It´s way overdue that gets fixed.

I like the VO dialogue and think it's a great part of the game. But, I don't think the actors that voiced the classes I've played are anything special.

For example, the Knight - if he is someone who was paid a ton because of who he is, I don't think it was worth the money. The VO can easily be done by someone who costs less and be just as engaging.

Leaving VO out side missions, as some have mentioned makes sense, is debatable. I get the argument, but I actually still like doing the side missions and listening to the VO work, even if I know what the quest is. If that were left out, I think a large part of what makes SWTOR questing unique would be lost. And the questing in this game is the best part, for many players. BioWare got that part of SWTOR completely right.

In short: VO quests are a must for the game moving forward, but I don't believe the actors for the classes I've played are anything special. It would be odd to change them now, however. VO for side missions are something I'd prefer, but I also want to see new planets/story reasonably often, and so far we've seen none.

Some of the actors are forgettable, some are very memorable. The VA acting for M1-4X, for instance, is brilliant. I can say the Elara Dorne and Guss Tuno actors are also excellent. And Risha... Risha's voice just sounds like a scrumptious desert in voice form.

I like the voice acting, and the writing but I couldn't care less if I never hear any of it again.

It's a novelty that wears off fast. The story and voice over content is not a substitute for compelling gameplay.

I suspect anything "new" we see will be stuff already in the can. I can't imagine any of the money people agreeing to more investment in something that clearly did not have the return it was supposed to.

Personally I'd like to see VA do the following.

-CLass quests

-Main planet quests.

Anything else can be handled by terminals/datapds/quest items/area quests.

This.

Though from early bits and leaked info on what chapter 4 will be it may look something like this:

Class Quests = Main Planet quests. (With class specific dialogue, and perhaps some unique solutions and characters showing up from your class story).

I think this would still retain the great narrative feel with VO, while letting bioware save some valuable development costs to spend expanding game-play systems and adding content. I hope they don't back down from this direction. Betting the farm on excessive VO work was a big mistake in the first place.

VO on some random dude wanting me to kill things unrelated to my class quest/planet quest is pure excess.