Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Cyrillic in the chat (Russian Topic)

Buks

Hope cyrillic will be added to the game for party/guild/whispers channels.

All russian players will be very pleased. We don't need to get cyrillic for general and trade.

But currently all communication between russian speaking players are awful. We forced to use transliterated messages and strain our eyes to read such messages.

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could we please have cyrillic fonts.

At least for guild/party/raid/tell and private channels.

If by some reason you like to disable it in general channels I don't care.

But not having cyrillic fonts at all is very uncomfortable for community.

Also I'd like to reply to people, who are against it. Do you really think that messages in general in unknown languages (with usage of english letters) is ok, while same but in cirillic letters is much worser? BTW absence of russian fonts do not prevent me to write in so called "translate" like:

tipa vi zadolbali otsutstviem russkix shriftov, sdelaite ih nemedlenno!

As you can see this produce same "gibberish looking" text.

I think that the game uses unicode fonts, but probably custom made fonts, where russian letter just absent or disabled. And I really see no reason not to support cyrillic, since majoirity of MMORPGs do support any fonts in chat, some even allow to write in korejan and so on.

Edited by Dixxi

As Russian want to write, whether it be translit or still as, let and write. Who in general has let the right speak to you as well as that to whom to do. I doubt that if there was a return situation, the Russian server and you play it, you would learn all Russian and tried to write in the main chat in Russian. We smile and wave, we smile and we wave.

Ok, I am a native Russian speaker who plays on an NA server with English speaking friends. I dont really need the support of cyrillic, so my opinion is unbiased, and here is what I think:

Cyrillic should be included, first and foremost because the lack of cyrillic support makes it possible for the spanish/french/etc speakers to still write in their alphabets, but those who dont use latin alphabet simply cannot do the same = a little unfair. I have encountered spanish writing quite a bit on an English-speaking server in WoW.

All general chats, however, must be be restricted to the official language of that server - so that no one - be it someone whose native alphabet is latin or a different one - can spam it with writing confusing to others. Everywhere else in the game, anyone should have the ability to write in their native alphabet, including cyrillic, otherwise the game is heavily biased in favor of only some demographics, and not the rest.

For general chats, the gradual implementation of designated servers for various non-English speaking communities with free migration would be the greatest solution, that's what WoW did for the Russian players, too (the irreversible conversion of the account into a different type was a stupid decision tho, dont go down that path, BW).

I think this is the most fair solution. Give the Russians the ability to write cyrillic in groups and guilds; and - as this thread shows - they have the common sense not to demand cyrillic in general chats unless its a designated Russian server.

~ Cheers

Well, just my short opinion here.

People on my server (it's an English one) write in French, Dutch, Polish, German and so on even in general chats. And, by the way, there are German letters - e.g. ä, ö, ü (even in character names!). Why we have German letters on English servers and no Cyrillic, then? And, by the way, when people have names with German letters - I can't even whisper them (when not replying or seeing directly), unless I go into the internet and find "ö" for "Döds" (e.g.) and copy-paste it. Fair?

I dont need Russian letters in open channels - just guild / party / whispers. That's it.

I'm tired of writing like this in guild chat:

"Ya ne ponimayu, chto, tak slojno sdelat dolbannuyu podderjku cyrillici, chto by my ne pisali postoyanno translitom?!"

And, by the way, inequity is everywhere. For example, people in the CIS (GMT+4 and more), cannot play in the evenings when it's maintenance, because it's suited for our precious US players only. In Europe it's mid-day (still bad but bearable), in Moscow it's simply evening (prime-time).

Ðóññêèì ïðèâåò.

Edited by Mekc

+1 for Cyrillic. Russian community would be very grateful for making our chatting easier and I'm sure it'd grow faster due to such a great improvment. And concerning non-English messages in General chat - as you can see this happens even without Cyrillic on some servers, I can't see why it could make troll's and idiot's actions easier and wider. Fortunately, at server where I play most none of the Russian players spam the General chat, it'd be a shame to see that.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.