Light vs. Dark storylines

Bayoufrog

How much does choosing Light over Dark (or vice versa) affect storylines?

For example, if I make two Sith Warriors and choose Light for one and Dark for the other, would the outcome of the storylines be dramatically changed? Or does it follow the same basic storyline with minor deviations in dialogue?

Was just wondering if there was an "Ending A" and "Ending B" type scenario based upon your moral choices, or if it's more like two different paths that arrive at the same destination.

I'm just curious to know. Thanks in advance for all who took the time to read this and respond.

I think it depends....I haven't done full light and dark on any one class, though I did do mostly dark v. mostly light on the agent story, and the agent story DOES have 3 fairly different outcomes, and a particular decision you make earlier on will dictate whether or not you even have certain options at the end.

Most classes have a final LS/DS decision that theoretically affects the end state, but you won't see the consequences. Perhaps they'll affect the beginning of the Act IV story when it hits; we don't know yet. Sith Warrior, Trooper (under some circumstances) and Smuggler are examples of this.

Sith Inquisitor gives you a different endgame title based on whether you're LS, neutral, or DS. It's purely cosmetic. This isn't a display-over-your-name title, just a character title that NPCs would use in conversation.

The Sith Warrior, as others have said, changes a companion radically depending on a DS/LS choice. At least one in-game scene also has a very different setup and conversational tone depending on your current DS/LS status.

The Imperial Agent, as others have mentioned, has distinct DS, neutral, and LS plot threads, all of which make sense throughout. Some LS/DS choices remove boss fights entirely. Certain DS/LS decisions in Act I and Act II affect your endgame choices; the endgame choice itself is one that comes too late to play out in the story so far, and is more a starting point for future content.

I believe those are the big ones.

Edited by bright_ephemera

The Jedi Knight and Jedi Consular have only slightly different endings. Some of the dialogue is different and the Jedi Council's attitude and actions towards you are different. The Knight was also supposed to get different titles at the end but supposedly people complained about it in beta, so Bioware changed it so it no longer makes any sense. Edited by OldVengeance

Most classes have a final LS/DS decision that theoretically affects the end state, but you won't see the consequences. Perhaps they'll affect the beginning of the Act IV story when it hits; we don't know yet. Sith Warrior, Trooper (under some circumstances) and Smuggler are examples of this.

Sith Inquisitor gives you a different endgame title based on whether you're LS, neutral, or DS. It's purely cosmetic. This isn't a display-over-your-name title, just a character title that NPCs would use in conversation.

The Sith Warrior, as others have said, changes a companion radically depending on a DS/LS choice. At least one in-game scene also has a very different setup and conversational tone depending on your current DS/LS status.

The Imperial Agent, as others have mentioned, has distinct DS, neutral, and LS plot threads, all of which make sense throughout. Some LS/DS choices remove boss fights entirely. Certain DS/LS decisions in Act I and Act II affect your endgame choices; the endgame choice itself is one that comes too late to play out in the story so far, and is more a starting point for future content.

I believe those are the big ones.

Concerning Inquisitor there is also (cosmetic) difference concerning the ghosts as you can choose three different options and I think not all of them are available for each alignment. Theoretically it would be huge difference in power, but in game mechanics it can't be anything beside cosmetic due to balance reasons.

Generally the idea in SWTOR is that your choices don't affect the story, but they can affect some of the context.

Best example is Sith Inquisitor, who can want power for its own sake (DS), or who can want power to try to make the Empire a better place (LS). Either way, you get power, but the story feels different in those different scenarios.

Edited by Superninfreak