Why do only Subscribers get to use the Security Key App

Kariella

Why do only subscribers get to use the security key app? (note i am a subscriber)

No I mean really... the security key app helps SWTOR as much and maybe even more than the players. It stops all those omg my account got hacked calls to CS... and since they built it... its pretty much umm free...

With the number of smartphones out there, we could really lock down security... and if it were my call and I knew you had a smartphone, I would be like you must use it... (obviously there are those who would disagree)...

And believe me... at $4.99 they are not rolling in gold selling their custom SK Device, so that aint it...

hell even if the app was not free, I would even pay .99 for it on the app store. keep in mind its website security as well as ingame...

over the years I have played and left WoW, MxO, CoH and once I left those games those accounts all got eventually locked out from hackers trying to get in (not saying they did get in, but it locked the accounts all the same)...

Security is pretty well locked down on this MMO without a security key to be honest. The 5 questions do that... and people get the keys so they don't have to deal with the questions... and to get goodies off the Key vendor. Freeples can buy the hardware key. Edited by Andryah

You can use the security key as a free player.

Update: We've been getting some questions about security keys and how they will work. For starters, Free-to-Play and Preferred players cannot use NEW digital security keys. However, if you had one on your account and you decided to go to Preferred Player Status, then you can still use your digital security key. Free-to-Play players may purchase a physical security key, which will give them Preferred Player Status and the ability to use the physical security key.

Although if you mean someone who never pays a dime in any shape or form, yeah.

Edited by chuixupu

The security key is to make it a lot hard for your privacy as a subscriber to be hacked, considering that our credit card details are attached to our accounts for our fees
That system that lets people use check and money order when buying Cartel Coins when you are a Free to play subscriber is awesome. Honestly if people are that concerned with account security as a Free to Play person or a Preferred just sub for one month and then let it lapse.

Account Security should be worth a 15% sub fee if people are worried about account security. Then reserve whatever names you like on a server ....... tee hee hee, and wait to go back to f2p.

That system that lets people use check and money order when buying Cartel Coins when you are a Free to play subscriber is awesome. Honestly if people are that concerned with account security as a Free to Play person or a Preferred just sub for one month and then let it lapse.

Account Security should be worth a 15% sub fee if people are worried about account security. Then reserve whatever names you like on a server ....... tee hee hee, and wait to go back to f2p.

thats exactly my point... account security is worth more to swtor than it is to the subscribers (well obviously I guess not, but it should be) and since it can be taken care of using an app the cost to impliment large scane is nominal and the benefits far outweigh and pay for that...

what you have is people (swtor) that have never been or seen the mess a good hacker can make... although you would think that EA would be more security conscious...

also I seriously doubt that a percentage of our monthly sub pays for this... I mean my sub didnt go up cuz I use the app

thats exactly my point... account security is worth more to swtor than it is to the subscribers (well obviously I guess not, but it should be) and since it can be taken care of using an app the cost to impliment large scane is nominal and the benefits far outweigh and pay for that...

what you have is people (swtor) that have never been or seen the mess a good hacker can make... although you would think that EA would be more security conscious...

also I seriously doubt that a percentage of our monthly sub pays for this... I mean my sub didnt go up cuz I use the app

I don't disagree that there should be an availability for it for all users of SWTOR if it is in fact accurate that there is no security feature available. But my comment was more to the direction of "If its a big enough deal for you to want it that badly as a F2P player then its worth the 15$ single time subscription fee to activate and use the free app version of the security fee.

The fact that the one time sub gets you full access to the game with no restrictions, 500 cartel coins, and the desired security app is worth it since in the case of account security there is no real value for account protection other then what a player believes is there.

But then again EA had a lot of issues managing the security key when SWTOR launched so. I think its fair to say that its not a lack of understanding for security concerns, but overall an inability due to low experience in managing a project and product like an MMO.

On a sidenote, from my understanding the sub fee covers a large range of elements when it comes to an MMO. Its not just a "cost of access" fee that the EULA and ToS deem it to be.

It stops all those omg my account got hacked calls to CS...

Actually free/preferred players don't get phone support:

http://www.swtor.com/free/features

Though I don't know how they stop people from attempting to call and blocking up the lines.

That being said I agree with the OP. It seems silly to restrict the key. I think free players should be able to use the key for security, but not get the bonus benefits (security vendor/free coins/etc).