tips for a new marauder?

Mewmaster

so i just rolled a maruader and was wondering if anyone had any general tips for playing the marauder, i am thinking i will go through the annihilation tree as from what i have read it is a good tree for almost everything except for rwz. i noticed there are a lot of moves that a marauder uses in its cooldowns and rotations, any good tip on how to keybinf them. right now i have it set up(or going to have it setup when i have all the moves:

main 5 rotation moves=keys 1-5

next 5 rotation moves= f1-f5

aoe moves=shift+1-shift+5

protective cool downs = shift+f1-shift+f2

this is the first time where i have actually tried to have a custom keybind by the way.

thanks for any help that you have.

honestly I think you need to add at least 5 more skillbinds to be able to fit most of the stuff.

Anyway here are my suggestions:

1 Battering assault

2 Vicious slash

3 Deadly saber

4 Rupture

5 Annihilate

These 5 are your main rotation moves. You also need to think about fitting ravage and jump in a place where you can reach them easily enough. (Jump is part of your normal rotation once you get the range reduction)

Also 5 spots will not be enough for cooldowns, You have: saber ward, cloak of pain, force camo, undying rage, predation, berserk, and frenzy. (the last 2 being damage cooldowns)

You should consider placing berserk somewhere easily reachable probably in the F1-F5 keys as you have to use it more or less as part of your rotation

Edited by AllanGand

I use 1-5, F1-F5,

`qert

shift + qwert

Num 0-4

shift 1-5

I could likely do without one of the bars, but I like to keep my healing packs and all my CC/slow skills on since I mainly pvp.

And yes you can do that, I have my ravage on F3 personally, and jump is on E, while Q is my interrupt.

If you think it will help I can tell you what I map all my skills to, or I can take a screenie (but I play a sent)

Edited by AllanGand

Here is a way to get some extra binds quick and easy for your Marauder:

Shift + MouseWheel Up

Shift + MouseWheelDown

Shift + MiddleMouse Button

Alt + MouseWheel Up

Alt + MouseWheelDown

Alt + MiddleMouse Button

I generally put my defensive CD on these, and its very easy to activate them, it allows you to be fully in montion, your fingers stay on WASD buttons while being able to activate all those CDs.

F1-F5 require you to lift your hand of the WASD, therefore you cannot be in motion while activating any abilities bound on F1-F5, at best only F3, F4 with your pointer finger while pressing W.

Edited by NoTomorrow

Here is a way to get some extra binds quick and easy for your Marauder:

Shift + MouseWheel Up

Shift + MouseWheelDown

Shift + MiddleMouse Button

Alt + MouseWheel Up

Alt + MouseWheelDown

Alt + MiddleMouse Button

I generally put my defensive CD on these, and its very easy to activate them, it allows you to be fully in montion, your fingers stay on WASD buttons while being able to activate all those CDs.

F1-F5 require you to lift your hand of the WASD, therefore you cannot be in motion while activating any abilities bound on F1-F5, at best only F3, F4 with your pointer finger while pressing W.

depends on your keybaord and hand size tbh, i can reach f1 and f3 with my ring and and pointer fingers , use it for frenzy and bloodthirst respectively , not important cds but useable, i dont reccomend it for more frequent cds though

http://taugrim.com/2011/04/07/guide-to-strafing-movement-and-keybindings/comment-page-1/#comments

thanks for the help everyone, i found this website during my search and have been trying out the

rift layout he recommends and using the shift key for the extra abilities i need room for, so far, it has been working and once i get used to it, it might actually work, do you guys think this is a good idea or not.

Edited by Mewmaster

Its not bad but one thing that i also reccomend is getting the Steel Series Merc Stealth keyboard. it has a side area specaly built for gaming. it has the normal wasd keys and 2 sets of number keys which are less spread apart (which midigates the issue Taugrim was bringing up is no acess to the 7-= keys)and also like most gaming keyboards it has software that allows for keybind/macro programming.

Well everyone has their own system that they're comfortable with so do what feels the most comfortable.

Personally I never use modifiers (shift/ctrl/alt) I want one button rotations because it's much simpler for me. I also have no movement keys bound save for W which is still run forward. All my movement and turning is done exclusively with my old fashioned two button mouse. The only ability I use on the mouse wheel (mouse 3) is my interrupt, but I do that on every toon so that's not exclusive to just the Marauder. So now I have all my left side keys freed up.

So for example 1-6 would be Basic attack, vicious slash (to eventually be replaced by massacre) retaliation, battering assault, force scream, and vicious throw respectively.

Q,E,R,T,Y would be crippling throw, gore, ravage, crippling slash and smash.

A,S,D for berserk, frenzy and predation. X,C, V and B are for WZ medpack, cloak of pain, undying rage and WZ stim.

F,G and H are saber ward, force camo and obfuscate. Leap is Z, choke is 7, the AOE mezz is 8.

I feel like I am forgetting a couple but that's the basic idea of how I set up my combat/carnage toon. I do have all of the abilities that don't work in pvp on a hotbar, but I haven't bothered to bind them yet. I just may end up using modifiers for them but even when I am going through the pve motions I've never felt as though I needed them so I haven't really used them at all ever.

Honestly my best tip to anybody in this game is buy a razer naga mouse! its a little pricey but you have your numerical pad on your mouse. Im doing the carnage tree and trying to build up dps and being able to move and attack smoothly is a huge plus.

Honestly my best tip to anybody in this game is buy a razer naga mouse! its a little pricey but you have your numerical pad on your mouse. Im doing the carnage tree and trying to build up dps and being able to move and attack smoothly is a huge plus.

To be honest I'm at level 32 and I'm starting to become borderline overwhelmed with all these abilities and binding. Like right now I'm almost maxed out with binding stuff to my keyboard, much more and I'm going to have to think hard.

Looks like to play at my peak I need to drop 80 dollars :(

To be honest I'm at level 32 and I'm starting to become borderline overwhelmed with all these abilities and binding. Like right now I'm almost maxed out with binding stuff to my keyboard, much more and I'm going to have to think hard.

Looks like to play at my peak I need to drop 80 dollars :(

I'm starting to feel the same at level 28. I'd be using a Naga now but my problem is I'm left-handed and cannot use a right handed mouse. Tried it before; just couldn't do it. So my current key bindings will have to do for the time being.