Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

SWTOR Api for developers

aramilnaile

Well, frankly speaking, if we all start with thinking like this right now we also could stop playing the game right now ;)

Hopefully SWTOR will see several more years

I think you didn't get what I was saying. I never said anything about how long SWTOR will run, rather that the time needed for a Dev to answer here in the suggestion forum might be longer than the time the game still has.

Edited by trueKieran

• 2 weeks later...

Having just created a guild and a guild site, and all kinds of bells and whistles, to realize that I have to create and maintain my own database of constantly changing character stats because there is no API available to pull data which is obviously stored in a database on a server which is accessible via my username and password is completely frustrating... It wouldn't even be so bad if the guild system in-game didn't feel like such an afterthought that we can't even see legacy names or know which skills or skill trees members have focussed on... And I don't even want to speak about crafting, because there is no way I would ever feel inclined to manually enter the recipes my toons know... Am I trying to have some fun playing a game, or am I paying a monthly sub fee to become a data entry clerk?

OPEN the APIs wo we can haz better tools that are not a full time job

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This Thread has not been forgotten ;)

For all those with no clue what a web API could do, here are some examples what data it could return and where the benefits are:

- charakter by charakterName / serverId (with option to disallow character query)

-> equipment

-> achievements

-> reputation

-> recipes learned

- multiquerie e.g. for recipes learned by characters in guild xyz (with option to disallow character query)

- items queried by itemID / itemName => returns stats of item

- currently active instances of planet xyz / warzone on server abc

- currently running matches in warzone xyz

- planet map tiles which then could be used like google maps (example from GW2 -> http://jsfiddle.net/cliff/CRRGC/ )

- guilds queried by guildID => returns guildname, membercount, XP-& reputation-bonus, guild logo, website (if we ever get a chance to submit data like this) etc. (with option to disallow guild query)

Edited by xeikonburns

thanks for reminding jPryde, i simply forgot typing the optOut while creating the post :)

As at least the current hero engine stores all data within a oracle database, i think setting a simple flag ("yap/no" ;) ) for each char should not be that problem ;)

But who knows maybe swtor is still running on server side text files :D:D

Edited by xeikonburns

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Dear Dev's,

can we please have any update whether a WEB API is planned for the future or even just on "the wall of crazy" ?

It would be such an awesome feature to be able to query all the characters of our guild to display those in the rooster on our website.

Or simply query all characters of the raid group to get a up-to-date item build of those.

Edited by xeikonburns

Dear Dev's,

can we please have any update whether a WEB API is planned for the future or even just on "the wall of crazy" ?

It would be such an awesome feature to be able to query all the characters of our guild to display those in the rooster on our website.

Or simply query all characters of the raid group to get a up-to-date item build of those.

You can inspect members of your raid group now. Why do you need a web API to query them?

Could it be something like:

"This player in our raid group doesn't have all BIS gear and he took talent B instead of talent A. He's a scrub, kick him."

You can inspect members of your raid group now. Why do you need a web API to query them?

Could it be something like:

"This player in our raid group doesn't have all BIS gear and he took talent B instead of talent A. He's a scrub, kick him."

erm, no you're totally wrong :(

as we're trying to give every member of our guild raid group equal chances to get their gear, my idea behind it would be a interface displaying all current group members with up to date gear build and then for example highlight we're armouring with set bonus is missing.

so the highlighted members then could roll for main need, where the others with allready maxed out gear would only roll if nobody else needs the gear :)

it really has nothing to do with random raid groups, in this point you're right inspect allready is enough to check gear :)

Edited by xeikonburns

erm, no you're totally wrong :(

as we're trying to give every member of our guild raid group equal chances to get their gear, my idea behind it would be a interface displaying all current group members with up to date gear build and then for example highlight we're armouring with set bonus is missing.

so the highlighted members then could roll for main need, where the others with allready maxed out gear would only roll if nobody else needs the gear :)

it really has nothing to do with random raid groups, in this point you're right inspect allready is enough to check gear :)

If you're in a guild group, why would you not TRUST your guild members to only roll if they are not "maxxed out". Since the bonuses are tied to armorings and armorings are slot specific, only those who do not already have the bonus for that particular slot should be rolling need, IMO.

You could even have the raid members link the piece they currently have equipped to determine who is "most needing" of that piece.

If you have members of your guild that you do not trust, I would question why you do not get rid of them, and still take them on raids.

Edited by Ratajack

Well, as this discussion has nothing to do with the OP, please send me a PN if you want any further discussion ...

But as a short conclussion: we more than fully trust our raid members, but no one of us has all item builds of the group in mind all the time.

So with the API as example we can have a quick look on the table of players, see "player a that item is the one you need" - done.

A simple QoL Tool for the raid group, not a tool to boss the raidgroup members around

An maybe my concern was mistaken by you simply because of my english, as im not a native speaker of english there maybe could be something wrong with the wording of my sentences ;)

I would say yes but im leaning to no cos im not sure the engine could handle it.

If the engine can't handle updating the database this game would be in serious trouble. An API would never have to interact with the engine. All the API needs is data. Data that can be queried from a DB. The API would just need to provide the sata from the DB in a JSON format so it could be used by any language on the web.

You might not be able to see what your character looks like this way, unless they captured a still of your char similar to the character sheet image, but having all the data on achievements, PvP ranking and gear would be nice to have.

Edited by Capt_Beers

If the engine can't handle updating the database this game would be in serious trouble. An API would never have to interact with the engine. All the API needs is data. Data that can be queried from a DB. The API would just need to provide the sata from the DB in a JSON format so it could be used by any language on the web.

You might not be able to see what your character looks like this way, unless they captured a still of your char similar to the character sheet image, but having all the data on achievements, PvP ranking and gear would be nice to have.

hmmm..... tbh... I'd be a bit creeped out with such a thing.... like someone randomly checking out all that stuff from my character while offline or whatever.

You want to know my valor rank, what gear I have, log in to the game, find me and then you can check it out.

Anyway, I wouldn't be opposed to an API but what kind of information it gives out should be thought through very carefully

hmmm..... tbh... I'd be a bit creeped out with such a thing.... like someone randomly checking out all that stuff from my character while offline or whatever.

You want to know my valor rank, what gear I have, log in to the game, find me and then you can check it out.

Anyway, I wouldn't be opposed to an API but what kind of information it gives out should be thought through very carefully

Frankly I dont care about character info ... that is mostly for ... contests and elitist stuff.

But, having access to the events, maps, chat, GTN (read only, for statistic at least) and crew missions ... that is interesting stuff to have. EVE API is another great example how to do it.

• 1 month later...
Hey wake up thread ! ;)

Is there any possibility to get any response from the dev team ?

Tait ? Eric ?

May you ask them please :) ?

No and you pester them about this they will ignore you. Bioware have a said no addons at all which by default men's no API. So while I appreciate your efforts here that this their stance.

You may read this entire thread, we're not asking for a Addon API but a Web REST-API like the Guild Wars 2 API or the WoW Web-API.

This Thread has not been forgotten ;)

For all those with no clue what a web API could do, here are some examples what data it could return and where the benefits are:

- character by characterName / serverId // like WoW Armory (with option to disallow character query)

-> equipment

-> achievements

-> reputation

-> recipes learned

- multiquerie e.g. for recipes learned by characters in guild xyz (with option to disallow character query)

- items queried by itemID / itemName => returns stats of item

Great benefit for sites like askmrrobot or torhead if there is a option to get a full list of all currently avaiable items and their coresponding stats

- currently active instances of planet xyz / warzone on server abc

- currently running matches in warzone xyz

- planet map tiles which then could be used like google maps (example from GW2 -> http://jsfiddle.net/cliff/CRRGC/ )

- guilds queried by guildID => returns guildname, membercount, XP-& reputation-bonus, guild logo, website (if we ever get a chance to submit data like this) etc. (with option to disallow guild query)

Or Something totally different like querying your own ongoing sales on the GHN or market values on the GHN in General

Edited by xeikonburns

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.