Bought an ultimage gaming rig, and game is still laggy!

ZeusThunder

Just so you know I'm not lying, here are my specs. This was bought from Bestbuy and even setup by a Geeksquad computer expert:

- 24" Viewsonic flatscreen monitor

- Dell gaming mouse

- Windows Seven Ultimate

- Intel quadra processor

- Memory with 12 gigabytes of ram power

- One TERABYTE Hard Drive

- BluRay player

- Foxconn power supply with 400 wattage

- Sound Blaster sound card

- GE Force GT 520 video card

So after getting a $1500 gaming computer ($2100 after signing up for the extended warranty and 2 years of Geeksquad protection) the Star Wars game is STILL laggy! Not only that, but it can take up to 40 minutes just to log in if I do it after getting home from work.

I've verified with the Bestbuy salesperson that this computer should speed up my game, and if it's not then it's Star Wars' fault.

Nice job Star Wars, you fail at making an MMO.

Someone charged you almost half the value of the PC for 2 years of extended warranty? hate to tell you, but by the time you might need to use that extended warranty, you've probably already replaced something inside it an the warranty will be void.

I'm running a Phenom II quad core, 8GB ram, 2 Terrabytes of SATA 6 and an ATI 6770 1gb vid card all for the price of around £250 and I have everything on maximum including shadows and experience no graphical lag.

Personally, I'd go back to best buy and give them the rig back, and boot that geeksquad guy in the wamprats for selling me a duff PC.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just so you know I'm not lying, here are my specs. This was bought from Bestbuy and even setup by a Geeksquad computer expert:

- Dell gaming mouse

- Windows Seven Ultimate

- Intel quadra processor

- BluRay player

So after getting a $1500 gaming computer ($2100 after signing up for the extended warranty and 2 years of Geeksquad protection) the Star Wars game is STILL laggy! Not only that, but it can take up to 40 minutes just to log in if I do it after getting home from work.

I've verified with the Bestbuy salesperson that this computer should speed up my game, and if it's not then it's Star Wars' fault.

Playing an MMORPG requires a good internet connection aswell, you can have the best hardware in the world and play from a 1 MBPS internet and the game would be laggy as hell.

Compare it to buying a Ferrari when the roads around you are dirt roads with holes in them, aint no way you'll be driving 200 kph then.

P.S.: That hardware spec you posted there is great for a media machine (watching movies) but NOT gaming.

Non-relevant points:

-Most of the stuff you listed has no effect on your gaming performance.

-That is not a "gaming" computer.

-Get your money back if you can because it seems you did not buy what you thought you were buying.

More relevant:

-Turn SHADOWS in your game preferences to "OFF".

His biggest problem isnt the HD but the graphic card, its worth like 60$ and is an entry level gaming card. OP, do some research before you buy stuff, specially on graphic cards.

If you google GT520 (not M version cos that's the laptop one) you would see that it is Nvidia's entry level card.

- Dell gaming mouse

- Windows Seven Ultimate

- Intel quadra processor

- BluRay player

Geeksquad an expert..lol You can not go to a store and expect them to be able to tell you what is best when all they have in their mind is to sell you something. You always could have done some research on your own. There are many of companies that sell gaming systems for less or more depending on what you want, better then what you have. Cyberpower is a good company but I am sure there are others.

Unfortunately, you got scammed OP.

As for some of the replies, you have has little clue about gaming PC's as the OP does.

i7 is not needed for gaming, only difference between i7 and i5 is hyper threading which has absolutely no impact on gaming.

You do not need more then 4GB RAM, getting 8GB is useful if you run some stuff in the background but even 8GB is too much to use, you only need the 16GB area if you're doing 3D work etc.

Games do not need more then 4GB.

Damn that sucks.

If I ever fidn myself in PC world (Pretty much the UKs equivalent of Bestbuy), which is not often, you can always hear the salesmen trying to rip people off and sell them stuff they don't need. Without fail they will ALWAYS try to sell people anti-virus software that is often much more expensive that it can be bought for over the internet. I feel like saying something. OP I feel for you, these guys are trained to make you believe they are helping you when really they are ripping you off.

Edited by Azelas

- Dell gaming mouse

- Windows Seven Ultimate

- Intel quadra processor

- BluRay player

This here is professional trolling.

I applaud your ingenuity sir

Playing an MMORPG requires a good internet connection aswell, you can have the best hardware in the world and play from a 1 MBPS internet and the game would be laggy as hell.

Compare it to buying a Ferrari when the roads around you are dirt roads with holes in them, aint no way you'll be driving 200 kph then.

P.S.: That hardware spec you posted there is great for a media machine (watching movies) but NOT gaming.

(While OP is a troll, I'm not sure if you are but) that's a really general myth in online gaming.

The speed of your Internet connection has nothing to do with performance. 0,5mbit line is more than fine for _playing_ (not counting in downloads and patches) the game as long as the line is good quality (decent and stable ping which have nothing to do with the speed of the line)

If you honestly think any online game uses megabytes of bandwidth you are seriously mistaking. Have you even considered what kind of monster machines the servers and network would need to be if each player required ~3-10mbit of upload bandwidth? Multiply that by the 5000 players on the server, they would need 15000-50000mbit of upload bandwidth _per_ server. That's likely more than your Internet provider has in your whole region.

For more proof just look it up on your task manager under network page while you play, the bandwidth usage stays around 0.01-0.3mbit at all times. As long as your line is decent ping & packet loss wise, no amount of speed will improve it.

My gaming PC (4 years old now with graphic card update and RAM update to 4 gig) is running this game fine so far.

I have no issues.

This is an actual gaming PC though, never EVER go to Best Buy. You are better off going to Dell outlet and choosing one of the XPS models or alien ware and yes I know they are over priced TOO but at least you will be gaming with them.

Best buy is notorious for selling people the wrong thing for the job, and geek squad, bless their little geeky hearts, just does not get gaming either.

Seriously they can't even install a new mobo for someone.

Truly, take it back, return it and run. I paid 1500 for mine 4 years ago from Dell outlet though it was originally a 2500 machine and due to being in the outlet was 1500

Its the following specs

Intel Duo Core EXTREME 6800

1000 gig HD (no clue what kind but its RAID)

4 gig RAM *i added 2*

Upgraded card to GTX460 recently for RIFT

Mobo is something NVIDIA

While its aging, its a Dell (XPS 720) and I too may have paid too much at least it does the job I signed it up for and does it well.

Don't buy a Dell without a person informed in gaming helping you either though.

Its the same as Best buy, if you don't know what is going on you will not end up with a machine that does the job you want.

Have some of these guys here help you and pick one out at New Egg

(Get a huge power supply in the future for upgradability, mine had 750 4 years ago and still runs MOST cards!!)

Get educated.

Edited by Faiteaccompli

- Dell gaming mouse

- Windows Seven Ultimate

- Intel quadra processor

- BluRay player

if you call that an EPIC gaming rig.. you should get out more..

that is a craptastic home productivity rig..

The processor and the GPU are absolutly terrible.

you should have gone with an i5 2500k or an i7 2600k as a bare minimum and gone either Nvidia GTX 560Ti or 580 or ATI/AMD HD 6950 2gig or 6970.

you got ripped off like the typical Best Buy consumer..

make friends with a geek and have them build you a real machine.

- Dell gaming mouse

- Windows Seven Ultimate

- Intel quadra processor

- BluRay player

You got screwed buddy. That rig isnt worth what you paid

Here's what I"m running, with zero lag.........and ungodly FPS so far.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban 3.3GHz, 3.7GHz Turbo Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDE00ZFBGRBOX

EVGA 012-P3-1578-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) Classified 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16

2 x Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 996995 (16GB RAM Total)

My only weak point is my hard drive, which is a 1TB 7200RPM Western Digital Caviar Black Edition.

And then spare 500GB 7200RPM Western Digital Caviar Black.

This rig cost me about $1300.00 with a new Cooler Master Full Tower, assembled myself. Geeksquad? Seriously?

I think you took it up the wazoo dude.