Cartel gambling packs and "gold sellers".

Nodulo

With the introduction of the cartel packs and possibilities of ultra/super rare BOE items people will desperately want it has me concerned credit sellers will invade our communities.

My rational is simple really, up until now we are able to work for and obtain all but a very few select items in game and the few exclusions such as the huge limited mounts almost all others were and or are BOP items.

When these BOE items are auctioned for 10's if not more millions of credits I believe we will see these credit sellers come out of the woodwork destroying economys by the bad seeds that will buy credits driving the prices of most GTN items up beyond reasonable pricing.

I truly hope Bioware/EA has a hardcore stance against such people violating TOS agreements.

Edited by Nodulo

So many people are so credit rich, I don't think so.

Besides... the fact that you can sell the items on the GTN actually inhibits 3rd party sellers because it gives players a legal way to convert RL cash to coins to sellable items in the GTN. Not unlike the Gem trading in GW2, just a bit more indirect.

I truly hope Bioware/EA has a hardcore stance against such people violating TOS agreements.

Unlike most other MMOs this MMO has been largely free of credit selling and in game credit spamming since the mega launch. If they did not take over during the early months after launch.... they are not going to take over because of the coin market.

Edited by Andryah

Many people credit-rich? My server is full of poor beggars who are barely able to afford crafting fees on the newest enhancements. For majority of players on my server 5 million credits is hardly attainable and 170 million of mine is an abstraction. Sad but true. If the rare cartel pack items will be as expensive as speculated then credit buying will be tempting but I am sure Bioware will vindicate credit sellers appropriately and will be able to identify both sellers and buyers. So far I didn't see a single gold seller ad on my server, though. Edited by Alec_Fortescue

Many people credit-rich? My server is full of poor beggars who are barely able to afford crafting fees on the newest enhancements. For majority of players on my server 5 million credits is hardly attainable and 170 million of mine is an abstraction. Sad but true. If the rare cartel pack items will be as expensive as speculated then credit buying will be tempting but I am sure Bioware will vindicate credit sellers appropriately and will be able to identify both sellers and buyers. So far I didn't see a single gold seller ad on my server, though.

Perhaps it is a bad misconception, however getting credits in this game is so easy and just requires a little grinding of dailies. I have noticed people that refuse to do Dailies completely, though.

Perhaps it is a bad misconception, however getting credits in this game is so easy and just requires a little grinding of dailies. I have noticed people that refuse to do Dailies completely, though.

I agree. In terms of character wealth accumulation.. this MMO is easier then most. So the only reason to be credit poor is bad spending habits and/or bad income generation habits.

Ok...

Here's a question.

If I paid real life money for an item who another player is selling, is against the TOS?

For example, I want the "Darth whatever mask", but I don't have the credits to afford it, can I buy the mask with real life money, in this example, with a prepaid card? Or, as I ask you before, is against the TOS?

Ding ding!

Kind regards!!

Edited by Ushuma-Orbi
Spelling

It isn't a misconception that credits are easy to obtain. It's also not a misconception that a lot of players are broke as well because they're unwilling to do the things that make credits and/or they spend unwisely on stuff they don't really need.

It isn't a misconception that credits are easy to obtain. It's also not a misconception that a lot of players are broke as well because they're unwilling to do the things that make credits and/or they spend unwisely on stuff they don't really need.

They're poor because raiding is too hard for the majority. So many guilds are still not able to farm TFB HM. Those things require a really large amount of co-ordination and if single person screws up the entire group pays the price. And that's where all the money is coming from - end game item r/e. Also not everyone is able to spend 2 hours a day on daily quests as a major source of income. Credits are easy if you know what to do. Majority have no clue what to do, even large amount of end-game crafters who undercut and ruin the prices for everyone else.

Imo credit buying will be tempting to a large amount of players.

Ok...

Here's a question.

If I paid real life money for an item who another player is selling, is against the TOS?

For example, I want the "Darth whatever mask", but I don't have the credits to afford it, can I buy the mask with real life money, in this example, with a prepaid card? Or, as I ask you before, is against the TOS?

Ding ding!

Kind regards!!

It is against the TOS but in any case I think it would be better to actually spend your real money on cartel packs or armor sets and sell them on the GTN then use that money to buy your mask , does that help ?

I'm wondering if my rakghoul plague black - green lev 50 power crystals will be worth anything after 1.5 ?

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Why risk buying from third parties when one can buy from BW?

This is pretty much right on the money. This will be my new preferred way of earning credits. I plan on just selling the items that I get for credits. So it goes like this.

American Dollars --> Cartel Coins --> Cartel Packs --> GTN --> Credits

So yeah... they might as well just sell credits LOL. I mean, what they are doing is already so transparent I don't even know why they are bothering to implement the whole "Cartel Coins" thing. It's just another form of currency that is not necessary. We already have credits. They should just sell the credits outright. Is anyone actually fooled by this???

...It's just another form of currency that is not necessary. We already have credits. They should just sell the credits outright. Is anyone actually fooled by this???

I believe they can control the cartel coins more effectively. I don't think there is going to be an exploit/bug that will allow a player to get tons of cartel coins whereas there has already been and will continue to be exploits/bugs that allows players to get tons of credits.

I believe they can control the cartel coins more effectively. I don't think there is going to be an exploit/bug that will allow a player to get tons of cartel coins whereas there has already been and will continue to be exploits/bugs that allows players to get tons of credits.

True, you can't trade Cartel Coins the same way you can trade credits... which means you can easily convert Cartel Coins into credits but not the other way around.

and the cost of the pack is whatever in cartel coins.

cartel coins fall under the "anything of value" part of the definition of gambling.

if the counter argument is that cartel coins don't really have value we'll have to agree to disagree. I can almost see that side of the coin, but not enough to sway me from being on the side that says cartel coins do have value.

Of course Cartel coins have value, it's converting that value into the virtual currency of credits that creates the illusion of worth on items.

Anyways, we can go on to figure out the "value" of these rare items but they are only inflated in value because they are set to be rare. The true value of them is what the user makes of it. In the end you are receiving something of use within the game from the purchase you made. How much it's worth will be up for debate but since you are receiving something of value in the end then you can't really say you risked anything. You simply just choose to discard what you did get as worthless for whatever reason.

So yeah... they might as well just sell credits LOL. I mean, what they are doing is already so transparent I don't even know why they are bothering to implement the whole "Cartel Coins" thing. It's just another form of currency that is not necessary. We already have credits. They should just sell the credits outright. Is anyone actually fooled by this???

You are, apparently. There's a very big difference between selling credits and selling items that players are willing to buy with credits. In the first case, they're directly increasing the total number of credits in the game, leading to inflation. In the second case, they're not. It may sound like a minor distinction, but it's not.

Picture an MMORPG with a static population. Each player has, say, 100K credits. The prices of things are going to be based on that amount. Any item that is selling for 100K credits needs to be worth wiping out a player's liquid assets. Now, lets say enough players purchase credits to increase the total credits in the game five-fold. So each player averages out to 500K credits. Now, it's easier to spend 100K on an item, because instead of wiping out your liquid assets, it puts a small dent in them. Which means that more people are willing to purchase the item, driving up demand, causing the price to increase. People that would have paid 100K for the item are now willing to pay 500K for the item. So, you wind up needing to purchase credits just to maintain the same level of buying power that you had to begin with.

Now, this happens over time naturally in almost any MMORPG. Devs create credit/gold sinks to stave it off, but staving it off completely would have other bad side effects, so they only try to control it. For example, the articles I've been reading about WoW estimate that the MoP expansion has caused little inflation, on the order of 15%, quite a bit less than some earlier expansions, so they're managing to control it better than they were before.

However, allowing the purchase of credits that didn't previously exist in the game would be accelerating inflation, not trying to control it. This is for much the same reason as why some governments, when faced with a budget crisis simply print more currency, are capable of having inflation rates that would terrify the typical "first world" citizen. There are currencies out there in the real world that have lost so much buying power because of this that people would need over 1 million of the same currency to buy the same thing they could have bought with a single unit of currency a few decades ago.

So yes, there is a difference, and it's not a small one.

You are, apparently. There's a very big difference between selling credits and selling items that players are willing to buy with credits. In the first case, they're directly increasing the total number of credits in the game, leading to inflation. In the second case, they're not. It may sound like a minor distinction, but it's not.

Agreed.

By allowing players to trade/sell pack items in game they are simply allowing a consentual redistribution of in game virtual wealth. Which does not inject more credits into the economy.

If Bioware sold credits directly then they would be inflating the currency and devaluing the value of credits in game.

The approach chosen by Bioware is healthy for the economy (because it creates incentives for movement of currency, AND they peel some out with the GTN commission so it's mildly deflationary), it gives players more freedom and choices, and it also short circuits the 3rd party credit sellers to a good degree.

Edited by Andryah

This is pretty much right on the money. This will be my new preferred way of earning credits. I plan on just selling the items that I get for credits. So it goes like this.

American Dollars --> Cartel Coins --> Cartel Packs --> GTN --> Credits

I think because of this:

exchange rate for American Dollars --> Cartel Coins ~ constant

exchange rate for American Dollars --> Credits - not constant

:rak_02:

Edited by Glower