Episode VII writer confirmed!!

Moorqueen

What you guys dont know he is also a HUGE star wars fan and understand the universe.

There was an article about it yesterday.

Yeah, but so are pretty much the majority of people who play this game, would you trust any of them with the screenplay/?

(I also actually knew it before you posted it too, btw.)

But then again, I think I can say for a lot of us that we'd feel uncomfortable with whomever is taking part in this project, so anxious that it's not going to work, or be good if it does work.

Edited by Setsugetsuka

There's no need to get pissed at me. I didn't say they weren't great movies. I happen to love Toy Story 3. I just think that a guy who directed such a movie isn't suiting for Star Wars.

He didn't direct, he wrote. But yeah, have to admit, those aren't the most Star Wars'y kind of movies, not in the slightest.

I agree. But I'm not comfortable with having a guy with such experience trying to do Star Wars.

Trust me, this guy knows how Star Wars should be done, or at least thats what I gather from the article Lord_Karsk posted - he does lectures on how Star Wars should be done for god sake!

Sounds to me they got a writer that knows about the EU, and havbe a very good taste in movies :)

http://www.vulture.com/2012/11/star-wars-episode-vii-may-have-found-its-writer.html

Since winning the Oscar for Sunshine, Arndt has lectured extensively on the art of storytelling at numerous writers’ retreats, like the Hawaii Writers Conference in Maui and the Austin Film Festival, always featuring a lengthy and detailed explanation of why the original Star Wars’ ending is so creatively satisfying.

At these talks, Arndt always tells attendees that Star Wars’ enduring appeal has to do with resolving its protagonists goals’ nearly simultaneously, at the climax of the movie. In the comments section of a discussion about a Star Wars talk Arndt gave at the Austin Film Festival in 2010, one attendee of the seminar notes, "Arndt stated that if a writer could resolve the story's arcs (internal, external, philosophical) immediately after the Moment of Despair at the climax, he or she would deliver the Insanely Great Ending and put the audience in a euphoric state. The faster it could happen, the better. By [Arndt’s] reckoning, George Lucas hit those three marks at the climax of Star Wars within a space of 22 seconds."

Indeed, in the third act of Star Wars, as Arndt explained to his young screenwriting Padawans at the 2009 Hawaii Writers Conference, its central characters' main goals all are met on pages 89 through 91 of the original Lucas script: At the crescendo of Star Wars, a spectral Obi Wan urges, “Use the Force, Luke,” and he does, thus reaching his inner goal (fighting self-doubt to become a hero). Han Solo reappears (meeting the philosophical goal of overcoming selfishness with altruism) to shoot down Darth Vader, which allows Luke to use the Force to mentally guide his shot and blow up the Death Star (outer goal and inner goals simultaneously met).

So while it remains to be seen whether Arndt will forge ahead with an entire script for Episode VII, clearly, as Vader might say, “The Force is strong with this one.”

Yeah, but so are pretty much the majority of people who play this game, would you trust any of them with the screenplay/?

(I also actually knew it before you posted it too, btw.)

But then again, I think I can say for a lot of us that we'd feel uncomfortable with whomever is taking part in this project, so anxious that it's not going to work, or be good if it does work.

I for one, put my trust in him. Its clear that he can write, Little Miss Sunshine and Toy Story 3 are both successful films. The second being the finale to one of the few successful trilogies in existence. So he had the experience, and its clear he knows a lot about the EU and how to make good star wars films. Basically its like taking a uber fan from this community, pumping him with screen writing know-how and expertise and sending him off to write Star Wars, I can't think of anyone better.

As the article says, "The Force is strong with this one."

Trust me, this guy knows how Star Wars should be done, or at least thats what I gather from the article Lord_Karsk posted - he does lectures on how Star Wars should be done for god sake!

I for one, put my trust in him. Its clear that he can write, Little Miss Sunshine and Toy Story 3 are both successful films. The second being the finale to one of the few successful trilogies in existence. So he had the experience, and its clear he knows a lot about the EU and how to make good star wars films. Basically its like taking a uber fan from this community, pumping him with screen writing know-how and expertise and sending him off to write Star Wars, I can't think of anyone better.

As the article says, "The Force is strong with this one."

I hope you're right.

Go eat a bag of *****. Those are both amazing movies.

I sense the Darkside is STRONG with this one , lol.

I only seen Toy Story three , with my kids ............which means I really didn't see it as I was busy listening to children talking through the entire movie !

But it was a good Movie , but ................it was not StarWars.............so I will not be haten to it comes out . I like to give people a Chance !

I agree. But I'm not comfortable with having a guy with such experience trying to do Star Wars.

He actually doesn't have that much experience.

But with what he has done, have all been huge films/popular cartoons that hit the target audience perfectly.

Phineas and Ferb

Toy Story 3

Little Miss Sunshine.

There's no need to get pissed at me. I didn't say they weren't great movies. I happen to love Toy Story 3. I just think that a guy who directed such a movie isn't suiting for Star Wars.

When Peter jackson came with the idea of making a Lord of the rings trilogy, most producers laughed at him. How could the director of "brain dead" pull something like this?

Today, these same producers would kill their mothers to work with him.

Don't just assume that because it's toys story that he doesn't have the balls to do something else. Point is, Toy story 3 is a well done screenplay, and for third movie... That's even more impressive. Just look at the Ice age movies... They are terrible now.

So while i respect your opinion, i'll give you mine: What you are assuming is a load of crap. Not that i think that he will pull it of, but judging him because he did Toy story 3 is just bull.

Edited by sarazoul

When Peter jackson came with the idea of making a Lord of the rings trilogy, most producers laughed at him. How could the director of "brain dead" pull something like this?

Today, these same producers would kill their mothers to work with him.

Don't just assume that because it's toys story that he doesn't have the balls to do something else. Point is, Toy story 3 is a well done screenplay, and for third movie... That's even more impressive. Just look at the Ice age movies... They are terrible now.

So while i respect your opinion, i'll give you mine: What you are assuming is a load of crap. Not that i think that he will pull it of, but judging him because he did Toy story 3 is just bull.

It's not bull. Quit being a jerk.

It seems I may be ill-informed, but my assumption was made off of all the information I know.

I know that he directed Toy Story 3 and Little Miss Sunshine. With this info, I decided that he wasn't the best pick for Star Wars. Why are you so angry at me for coming to this conclusion?

Appearantly this guy has a lot of Star Wars knowledge, so I was likely wrong in my original assumption. But if you read my earlier comments, you would have seen that I had realized the fact that this guy may be right for Star Wars.

*waves hand like a Jedi*

"You want to go home and rethink your life."

- I probably shouldn't have said that. Oh well.

So, you think Buzz Lightyear will be a BH or republic agent in Ep VII.

I will not be going to see this POS of a movie.

Thats like saying you think Buzz Lightyear will be an Avenger or Shield agent in the Avengers movie.

Because Disney owns Marvel..

Edited by BrandonSM

It's not bull. Quit being a jerk.

It seems I may be ill-informed, but my assumption was made off of all the information I know.

I know that he directed Toy Story 3 and Little Miss Sunshine. With this info, I decided that he wasn't the best pick for Star Wars. Why are you so angry at me for coming to this conclusion?

Appearantly this guy has a lot of Star Wars knowledge, so I was likely wrong in my original assumption. But if you read my earlier comments, you would have seen that I had realized the fact that this guy may be right for Star Wars.

*waves hand like a Jedi*

"You want to go home and rethink your life."

- I probably shouldn't have said that. Oh well.

Call me a jerk all you want.

It doesn't matter that he is a SW fan or not. In your mind, Toy story is no achievement.

Let's look at Toy story 3. No small deal here. You have a new audience of children to please but you also have the fans of the original. Remember those fans where once kids when they watched Toys story 1, but they are adults now. How do you make a movie to appeal both groups? Not many writters have the skill to pull that off, and he did.

Knowing this, can you honestly say that he isn't a good choice for SW? (without the fact that he is a SW fan) Exact same problem. You need to appeal to a new audience and you need to please fans of the original material.

See what i mean? Why do you think he was picked? The anwser : he knows how to play with nostalgia and still make it fresh.

Why do i think your assumption is crap? Because it's based on the fact that you think that someone who worked on Toy story will do a kid version of starwars. So yeah... It's a crap assumption.

Edited by sarazoul

Why do i think your assumption is crap? Because it's based on the fact that you think that someone who worked Toy story will do a kid version of starwars. So yeah... It's a crap assumption.

I second this. Little Miss Sunshine isn't about a talking flower, its rated 15 and by the looks of it has far darker undertones than Star Wars ever will. This guy is flexible, and he knows how to write a good star wars film.