Cartel coins starting at 450 /$4.99

Iwipe

This is how the world works now. It's accepted in other games; it does well there and it will work here. The money from this funds your content. Buy the items off the GTN and tell everyone that you are a morally superior player then.

I guess you missed the part where I said there was nothing I was interested in buying in those boxes, and made up the part where I claimed to be morally superior for refusing to buy them. Instead of selling the white crystal or whatever the other colors crystal are in those boxes for 900CC like some other crystals, they're going to get people to dump 5x that into boxes hoping for the crystals WITHOUT EVEN TELLING YOU THE ODDS OF WINNING. <---this is my main beef with these gambling boxes. Even sweepstakes that don't cost money to play have to tell you the odds of winning each prize (in the US at least), but somehow these boxes don't have to tell you the odds.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they add....

Player appearance changes

Armor color change

Convert any armor to Orange/Adaptive armor

Name changes

Weapon changes (different types of sabers for force wielders, different types of weapons for others)

Ability to decorate interior of spacecraft SWG style with decorations, trophies and banners available

...and then add a BF2 style persistent space battleground with PVE and PVP elements to the game...

I will buy a 6 month sub AND 5500 coins to boot. I would gladly lay out 130 bucks if those items were available.

Edited by LordArtemis

This part pisses me off a bit:

"Subscribers on the one month plan will receive 500 CC per month. * Players on the 3 month or 6 month plans will receive more per month. (Exact numbers were not given but will be available next week.)"

Monthly subscribers are paying the exact same amount as 3 month and 6 month subscribers. Why do we get the shaft?

That's not true if you buy in a 3 month bulk you pay 13.99 per month, and if you buy in a 6 month bulk you pay 12.99 per month. Like someone said. they prefer a commitment and will give you a discount for it.

I've been subbed since launch and have been on a 3 month bulk sub since then. For the... 11 or so months that i've been subbed I'ved saved 11 dollars and I would go for the 6 month but I feel that might be too much of a commitment. But I could have saved 22 dollars.

On a side note. Let's say they give 550 coins to 3 month subs and 600 coins for 6 month subs It's almost wasteful not to just sub for the game. (although that's probly what BW wants me to think, lol)

Because if I'm going for the 6 month sub and I only pay 12.99 per month and gain (let's say) 600 coins per month and it's 5$ for 450 coins it's a huge savings as opposed to being a F2Per or Preferred Account.

I don't know... IMHO it's best to sub (if you are satisfied with the game as it currently is and enjoy the game, like I do) rather than paying 8$ or so a month and only unlocking only a few features and remaining very restricted...

What do you guys think...

I guess you missed the part where I said there was nothing I was interested in buying in those boxes, and made up the part where I claimed to be morally superior for refusing to buy them. Instead of selling the white crystal or whatever the other colors crystal are in those boxes for 900CC like some other crystals, they're going to get people to dump 5x that into boxes hoping for the crystals WITHOUT EVEN TELLING YOU THE ODDS OF WINNING. <---this is my main beef with these gambling boxes. Even sweepstakes that don't cost money to play have to tell you the odds of winning each prize (in the US at least), but somehow these boxes don't have to tell you the odds.

Hey, those people dumping 5x that into the boxes are going to fund the game for the rest of us. Nobody's making YOU buy them, but people will spend money hand-over-fist on them, so good on Bioware for making bank.

Plus, if they sold the rare gambling box drops separately, they wouldn't be anywhere near as rare, and therefore nowhere near as special. Their rarity and method of acquisition is a big part of whta makes them desirable; without that, they're just another mount/color crystal/whatever.

Hey, those people dumping 5x that into the boxes are going to fund the game for the rest of us. Nobody's making YOU buy them, but people will spend money hand-over-fist on them, so good on Bioware for making bank.

Plus, if they sold the rare gambling box drops separately, they wouldn't be anywhere near as rare, and therefore nowhere near as special. Their rarity and method of acquisition is a big part of whta makes them desirable; without that, they're just another mount/color crystal/whatever.

This poster gets it. Thank for posting :D

How about just selling everything in those boxes at a fixed price instead of relying on addictive personalities to dump money down a rat hole? I am highly disappointed in (but not surprised by) EA/BW for adding these.

They don't do that because it is not a constant source of money. You buy the set of armor you want for 20.00, and then never buy anything again. Put the items in boxes with other usable items, sell the box of usable items with a chance at the armor sets-profit. The videos of people opening boxes puts me at ease as the armor items seem to be not THAT bad of a rng.

This is a business.

Edited by Sweetiepies

they're going to get people to dump 5x that into boxes hoping for the crystals WITHOUT EVEN TELLING YOU THE ODDS OF WINNING. <---this is my main beef with these gambling boxes. Even sweepstakes that don't cost money to play have to tell you the odds of winning each prize (in the US at least), but somehow these boxes don't have to tell you the odds.

Dude... it's a market, not a sweepstakes. You went all non-sequitur here.

And just so we are clear... they are "chance" boxes, not "gambling" boxes.... so there are not fixed odds to be posted. They are RNG generated. These boxes work just like loot drops in the game. There is no odds table of loot drops as they vary in most cases (the exception being the 100% drops) depending on the RNG at the moment in the game.

Gambling, or "chance" boxes to be more accurate always seem to be controversial. Unfortunate or not, they do seem to be wildly popular items in F2P stores.

I would rather have an item that can generate massive amounts of revenue for the game, funding the types of content that I enjoy and deal with the frustrations that come with a gamble or "chance" purchase. That's just me of course.

Edited by LordArtemis

Gambling, or "chance" boxes to be more accurate always seem to be controversial. Unfortunate or not, they do seem to be wildly popular items in F2P stores.

I would rather have an item that can generate massive amounts of revenue for the game, funding the types of content that I enjoy and deal with the frustrations that come with a gamble or "chance" purchase. That's just me of course.

I agree.

Players that like chance boxes get what they want, the game producer generates revenue, and the players get more content driven from the revenue.

Everyone wins except the QQ crowd, which frankly are following a fairly common social behavior of "risk averse self entitlement". They want what they want, and they don't want to risk anything to get it. It's a form of social entropy that I wish would disolve, but not much chance of it.

This is a bit pricey considering the cost of items on the store. Unless they have some better items than what we saw on the test server, I won't be dropping much money on these.

So you state. Based off of what data do you derive your OPINION? :cool:

I agree.

Players that like chance boxes get what they want, the game producer generates revenue, and the players get more content driven from the revenue.

Everyone wins except the QQ crowd, which frankly are following a fairly common social behavior of "risk averse self entitlement". They want what they want, and they don't want to risk anything to get it. It's a form of social entropy that I wish would disolve, but not much chance of it.

You mean the occupy SWTOR crowd?

Tent cities on the republic space doc for sure. Now on Vaiken space doc ... we don't allow such things. :p

Well, to be fair we are talking about real world money. Yes, they are fluff items usually and yes they are not vital to the game...but it's not completely crazy IMO to see how it might irritate people if the drop rates are extremely rare...especially considering the same complaints come from rare drops in Raids.

I mean, some drop rates are really silly for some items that just dont impact the game that much but have a really cool look...when you add that to a money factor I can see how it might upset some people.

I, however, see it as an obvious revenue source and choose the "evil" if you want to call it that over a content drought. So, though I sympathize with those that hate extremely rare drop items with simple cool appearances for actual money I put up with it in the hope that it will provide the revenue the game needs to expand.

A "necessary evil" if you will.

Well, to be fair we are talking about real world money. Yes, they are fluff items usually and yes they are not vital to the game...but it's not completely crazy IMO to see how it might irritate people if the drop rates are extremely rare...especially considering the same complaints come from rare drops in Raids.

I mean, some drop rates are really silly for some items that just dont impact the game that much but have a really cool look...when you add that to a money factor I can see how it might upset some people.

If they made the items permanently bind on aquire, I would agree with you. But the fact that they are freely tradable/sellable in game after the temporary bind timer expires mitigates this nicely. There will be a nice player economy in the GTN for the more rare and desired items (just like what happens with every major patch that adds desireable thing into the player economy).

IMO, they struck a nice balance here.

Edited by Andryah

If they made the items permanently bind on aquire, I would agree with you. But the fact that they are freely tradable/sellable in game after the temporary bind timer expires mitigates this nicely. There will be a nice player economy in the GTN for the more rare and desired items (just like what happens with every major patch that adds desireable thing into the player economy).

Meh ... I hate to play the "auction house". I wish some enterprising player would set up a brokerage service. I would gladly pay a fee and percentage of the profits NOT to have to play the GTN. ;)

I completely agree, and commend them for doing this. IMO it does exactly that, mitigates the loss because essentially you can sell the additional items you didnt want and get credits. So your still getting something for your cash.

I'm fine with the current boxes on the Cartel Store, and I've voiced several times my displeasure with the practice. My issue comes from the way the boxes are used in Star Trek Online, where you can get boxes to drop in normal play, and they'll fill your inventory but the only way to open them is by buying keys from the store. Add in that there are 'rare drop' crystals that come in those boxes that are then used as currency for other -Cosmetic!- items elsewhere in the game and it becomes a major, major problem. When the boxes give from 1 to 10 crystals as rare drops, and they only redeemable in 75 to 300 stacks ... you get my point, it becomes an intense waste of real money for these items. That's what I DO NOT want to end up happening here in TOR.

So you state. Based off of what data do you derive your OPINION? :cool:

He/she based it off of about 5-6 you-tube videos of people opening the cartel packs and yes there was hardly anything interesting in them , I witnessed about 20 packs been opened and I did see one white crystal and that tulak horde relic. They have removed the relics now lol and also all the other items they got where mostly repeats. That's the data. Of course they may adjust these packs for live but it's doubtful.

Anyways thanks Dulfy for posting about these prices , myself I'll be staying subbed and will only use my monthly coins , I won't spend any more.

Cheers,

BadOrb.