Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Pets that fight

joshsamw

I think that we should get some pets that would actually fight back, like the rakghouls could or add new ones like a nexu cub or something, it would add a reason to get pets other than decor and stuff.:sy_havoc::hope_05:

They're called companions ;).

Although I think it would be a nice addition to be able to use the current non-combat pets for some form of combat. Question is though, in which way makes most sense. Regular combat? Pet vs Pet minigame? Pet vs mobs minigame (sort of an endless tower concept or something alike)? Something else?

The downside with regular combat is that it does either 2 things:

- Make it mandatory for people to use them.

- Simplify regular combat even further.

Sounds like someone wants WoW: Kung Fu Panda Pokemon Adventure.

Personally If they add that I will be disappointed. I'd much rather have swoop racing/ pazaak / Taris dueling ring or stuff along those lines. Last thing I want is Pokemon in my Star Wars.

For those that do want it no offence but there is an MMO that offers it....

Sounds like someone wants WoW: Kung Fu Panda Pokemon Adventure.

Personally If they add that I will be disappointed. I'd much rather have swoop racing/ pazaak / Taris dueling ring or stuff along those lines. Last thing I want is Pokemon in my Star Wars.

For those that do want it no offence but there is an MMO that offers it....

Yeh, it also offers the answer to the Taris dueling ring.

Pointing towards other MMO's for having something isn't the way to go, TOR should focus on gaining such features in the long run as well. It doesn't strengthen an MMO to just stick to a single thing. So ideally TOR would incorporate all of these, including more.

I did once come across two people who were getting their companions to fight each other - and the result was not a foregone conclusion.

Was never sure how they did it (couldn't be bothered to find out tbh :)). But yeah - you can get your 'pets' to fght, if you want to.

Duel each other, set companions to attack each other, don't help companions. That's pretty much it, buddies do it all the time when they get bored.

Yeh, it also offers the answer to the Taris dueling ring.

Pointing towards other MMO's for having something isn't the way to go, TOR should focus on gaining such features in the long run as well. It doesn't strengthen an MMO to just stick to a single thing. So ideally TOR would incorporate all of these, including more.

Problem is they shouldn't take something just because another MMO has it either. If they took everything other MMOs had it wouldn't be its own game. It would be "that game" that just copies others. I don't have a problem with them taking queues from other game at all but leave the pokemon with WoW, its not like WoWs players like it at all anyway. At least not the ones I've talked to about it.

"Yea they added pokemon, all your non-combat pets can fight now. To be honest its stupid as hell but it gives you something to do while you are sitting there waiting for a queue to pop" - Barbarian

They just need to add unique mini-games, if they just add stuff other MMOs do people will just go play those other MMOs.

Less Pokemon/Kung-Fu Panda's and more Star Wars Galaxies Creature Handler which was inspired by the various creatures in Star Wars particularly the Rancor Keeper.

Done poorly it's really rubbish, done well, its nothing like Pokemon.

Wasn't the creature handler a class/profession? I'm believing they want is as a mini-game, hard to make a pet battling mini-game not like pokemon -.-

Wasn't the creature handler a class/profession? I'm believing they want is as a mini-game, hard to make a pet battling mini-game not like pokemon -.-

Yes but later became an expertise tree that anyone could take...which did make it very slightly closer to Pokemon but the mini-game was more in making the pets and trying to get mutations than it was about fighting the pets.

Good pets were used in the normal game in a PVE way rather than a tournament type mini-game.

Yeah I thought it was someting as simple as that.

I watched several matches - but the funniest was seeing he two ship droids go at it.

Ive done that, its essentially rock-em sockem robots, but you have to turn their heals off or it is endless.

Wonder if BioWare might ever implement some beast companions, which are like normal companions, but just beasts instead of sentient beings.

regarding the vanity pets, I actually would like to see pet bettles. And just because it is so pokemon or WoW it is not a bad idea to have something to do with your collection of vanity pets (and minigames are always nice in MMOs). If you don't like it, just do other stuff.

Problem is they shouldn't take something just because another MMO has it either. If they took everything other MMOs had it wouldn't be its own game. It would be "that game" that just copies others. I don't have a problem with them taking queues from other game at all but leave the pokemon with WoW, its not like WoWs players like it at all anyway. At least not the ones I've talked to about it.

"Yea they added pokemon, all your non-combat pets can fight now. To be honest its stupid as hell but it gives you something to do while you are sitting there waiting for a queue to pop" - Barbarian

They just need to add unique mini-games, if they just add stuff other MMOs do people will just go play those other MMOs.

The thing is, vanity pet battles have been suggested for MMO's prior to WoW's implementation of it. Even on these boards several years ago it already came by every now and then as a suggestion. And also in some form vanity pet battles were possible in several asian MMO's by making use of combat features of vanity pets in a organized duel.

And sure, not everybody will like it. But for that matter, there will also be those that will like it. For me, player arena's? I find no joy in them whatsoever. Out of the guilds I've been in hardly anybody liked arena's, whether it be in WoW or other MMO's. Yet there are plenty who think otherwise.

And minigames should be a combination of new things, and already done things with a personal flavor. As for many people content within a single package is what they seek. TOR may offer 3 awesome, never before done things. However, if for the same financial and time investment they can get 30, of which maybe 28 are previously done elsewhere but now bundled up, the choice tends to be quickly made and TOR bites the dust.

Beyond that, nothing what-so-ever is ever completely new these days anymore anyway in terms of game mechanics. That doesn't indicate though that some people out there would not concider those things to be fun.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.