Im happy and sad.

gabarooni

I'm really happy there are new Star Wars movies on the horizon and I think it's cool that it's going to be an "Original" story. But I have to admit that as a huge fan of the EU I feel very bad for all the writters that have worked so hard for the last 30 odd years to craft the SW EU. I feel like the new Movie is just going to wipe the slate of everything that has been written and start the whole story anew.

So it's a double edged blade for me i'm super happy that there are new SW's movies on the horizion and im excited to see the progression of the Movie Lore but at the same time im sad and upset that the EU lore is going to be pushed aside.

How do you guys feel?

I my self am just happy for more Star Wars content. I never was very interested in the NJO stuff anyway, so it's no skin off my back. But I definately feel bad for all the writers. However Iwould prefer movies in a different timeline altogether.

What does bother me about this is that if Disney is willing to wreck all the NJO content then they'll likely have no problem taking out the stuff that I enjoy. Although, I'm not sure Disney is any worse in this sense then Lucas himself. Looking at the video on the Star Wars site, it seems Lucas was perfectly fine throwing out the NJO stuff.

angry. Offended. Insulted. As a writer myself, I know how it feels to do something people like and then have publisher's go and either tamper with it, or go "IT NO LONGER COUNTS! **** YOUR LONG HOURS!!!"

It's bad, but it's not quite THAT bad. After all, it's not like the writers didn't make any money.

Disney cares less about the fans, only profit. It still saddens me that Walt's original concept was twisted so much...someone needs to unfreeze him.

Hes actually dead, the whole rumor of him being frozen has been debunked. He was creamated and his ashes scattered.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

These writers (all for the last 25ish years) all knew their stories' canon status was dependant on Lucas not making new movies. He ruined a few stories when he made the sequels. Now with Disney in charge and (presumably) full speed ahead... I expect all those stories are at risk.

But, again, they always knew that risk.

We don't know that the new movies will affect the books in any way. For all we know, they could take place many years after any of the books take place. I think they are aware that some of the books are incredibly popular with fans and they will most likely not tread too heavily on their toes. It's still LucasFilm making the movie. It's not Disney Studios.

Disney cares less about the fans, only profit. It still saddens me that Walt's original concept was twisted so much...someone needs to unfreeze him.

is that why Disney has been doing Star Wars Weekends which is a 100% fan celebration for the past 10 years?

Disney respects the fans far more then Lucas does. Lucas already discared a ton of the EU stuff when he made the Prequels and the Clone Wars.

Don't feel bad for the writers their books will still be sold and they did get paid for their work. Also Star Wars has been a way for many of these writters to get into the business.

This is no different then any time Marvel or DC has restarted their universes. If anything this will allow them to write new stuff.

Edited by jarjarloves

There is so much crap in some of the books that I don't care much. Also I am fine with new people going into another direction. For example the Marvel movies do some things differently than the comics, and I even though I really like the comics, I know that there is some moronic stuff in them as well. That said, it is not even sure that Disney will ignore as much of the EU for further movies as George Lucas did for the prequels (some ideas Lucas did took from the EU, like Coruscant).