Disney to aquire Lucasfilm!

Etapi

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I believe that Disney will do anyxthing in their power to make sure Swtor dies as quickly as possible.

Why ? Because they want the franchise to be freed up for something that is more akin to Disney and that will feature things like Woombo the Flying Wookie. A family-friendly browser game with a ton of micro-transactions.

Swtor with it's dark/light decisions and sometimes grim storyline does not fit into the Disney family at all.

Well, indeed - they've done exactly that with Marvel; the Avengers franchise has become a toothless, movie-of-the-week cuddle fest full of talking animals and singing Ice-giants, and ... no. Wait. That wasn't on this planet; that was on Planet Crackhead.

Disney wants to expand its audience share, not concentrate it. And they've been doing it, for over a decade, by respecting the IP they acquire and making films people want to go and see.

Just a quick 3 1/2 minute vid of George and Kathleen discussing the future of SW. Basically, they say they have contacted a few writers and discussing ideas and direction for the story

yeah that says nothing about Timothy Zahn. Lucas also says he has a few treatments.

Seeing as the Original Cast is pretty old I dont think we will be seeing the Thrawn Trilogy. Also as much as I like it the Thrawn trilogy isn't very cinematic.

yeah that says nothing about Timothy Zahn. Lucas also says he has a few treatments.

Seeing as the Original Cast is pretty old I dont think we will be seeing the Thrawn Trilogy. Also as much as I like it the Thrawn trilogy isn't very cinematic.

Yeah, my point was to defer the notion that Zahn was contacted. I'm biased but I hope Drew gets a call from Disney

The Avengers 2:

Tony Stark hears a voice. It whispers "Tony.....Tony......you will go to the Dagobah System. There you learn from Fury, the SHIELD director who instructed me."

Stark awakes to see a ghostly image of Agent Coulson.

:)

Now all we need is to splice Coulson telling Loki "If you strike me down I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

Well, indeed - they've done exactly that with Marvel; the Avengers franchise has become a toothless, movie-of-the-week cuddle fest full of talking animals and singing Ice-giants, and ... no. Wait. That wasn't on this planet; that was on Planet Crackhead.

Disney wants to expand its audience share, not concentrate it. And they've been doing it, for over a decade, by respecting the IP they acquire and making films people want to go and see.

exactly. Disney has added some kid friendly marvel stuff but it also hasn't stopped making the adult stuff. That poster seemed to be missing the entire point of what Disney is doing buying up these properies. They realize that there is a wide audience for these.

I think if anything we will see a Old Republic television series and have it tie into the game.

Speaking generally though, there is more than the movies or Clone Wars.

We know Lucas had scripted out 50 of the projected 100 episodes of the Star Wars TV series. He didn't know where to find the money to produce the series expected to cost millions each.

Disney owns ABC and all of their various TV networks. Disney has the money to make this happen. And Disney is already producing the S.H.I.E.L.D. TV series based of The Avengers and related appearances of AGENT COULSON!

Plus, Disney is a company with.....what I'll simply call "orbs." If there is a mega company that can boss around and strike fear into Electronic Arts, it is Disney. If there is justice in the life, they will buy-out EA, take this game over, and do something with it. They own the darned thing effectively.

Or maybe EA gets bought-out and dismantled by Disney, either is fine with me.

I think this is good for the Star Wars franchise. Disney took over Marvel and released the best Marvel movie ever in The Avengers and rebooted a better Spider Man.

While I have fond memories of the original three films, Lucas actually started to lose me a bit with the Ewoks. Episodes I-III definitely did not deliver on the former magic. So Lucas, himself, hasn't really been doing much to make me excited about Star Wars aside from chopping it up and revising things all the time.

Other companies/people, however, have done great stuff with the franchise. In fact, it seems like everyone else that picks up Star Wars does something better than Lucas did. Look at KOTOR. Look at The Clone Wars series. All had better storytelling and all were much more interesting than I-III.

So I'm looking forward to Disney putting Star Wars in the hands of some young filmmaking talent. There are so many great young Directors in Hollywood now. Any one of them could easily trump Lucas.

Edited by DarthOvertone

I should have been more specific, the Bane trilogy hooked me, but I agree the Revan book disappointed me an unbelievable amount

Bane trilogy was decent, must admit I preferred the original version and the graphic novel though, but after the Revan novel, he lost any and all respect I ever had for him.

here as well:

http://www.wwltv.com/news/Disney-pays-405-billion-for-Lucas-176475351.html

not sure if im excited or traisping in trepidation. I guess a new Disney Princess can be our resident Princess with the bun hairdo....haha. just had a vision of a Disney Star Wars animated movie.....with a whimsical sonet entitled, "the Dark Side is no friend of mine" sung by Luke on Endor with the Ewoks as backup.

here as well:

http://www.wwltv.com/news/Disney-pays-405-billion-for-Lucas-176475351.html

not sure if im excited or traisping in trepidation. I guess a new Disney Princess can be our resident Princess with the bun hairdo....haha. just had a vision of a Disney Star Wars animated movie.....with a whimsical sonet entitled, "the Dark Side is no friend of mine" sung by Luke on Endor with the Ewoks as backup.

more likely think of a PIxar Star Wars movie.

What do you mean? I have not read the Revan book yet, but how did he trash kotor with the book? Were there things that didn't add up to what happened in the game?

I would derail this topic so far that it may as well be renamed, but he created a huge amount of continuity errors and outright plot-holes especially in reference to the second KotOR, he also basically ignores a lot of things from his own original story in the first game.

I would derail this topic so far that it may as well be renamed, but he created a huge amount of continuity errors and outright plot-holes especially in reference to the second KotOR, he also basically ignores a lot of things from his own original story in the first game.

This right here. That book was a huge disappointment.

Bane trilogy was decent, must admit I preferred the original version and the graphic novel though, but after the Revan novel, he lost any and all respect I ever had for him.

I feel like he's capable of telling a great story, but just chose the fast, quick cash path with the Revan novel. In that regard, I agree about losing respect because knowing he can tell a solid story but chooses not to is worse than reading a poorly written book. Out of curiosity, your personal favorite book(s)?

Yes, source on Zahn now. I think you are full of something, but we are still willing to let you prove your source.

Zahn's an author, not a screenplay writer; he's got no experience writing for film. Besides, they've said it'll be Episode 7 based on GWLs story treatments and notes, already handed over to Kathleen Kennedy. There may be Chiss, but only as fanservice.

THIS. Crapyshyn needs to stay far away from the SW franchise.

Disney has the money to afford better writers, though I don't share the hate of his writing.

I mean, it is Disney. A company that can summon entire TV production staffs, writers, and legions of sappy sweet kids with the snap of fingers. The company that owns the mega dominant sports franchise on earth, ESPN. The company that owns ABC, a dozen odd cable networks, radio networks, Marvel, the Muppets, and just that which we call Disney.

If Universal is doing Hogwarts, how long until there is a Coruscant at Hollywood Studios? Can it be long until there is a Rex's diner in Disneyland? Star Tours Cruises? Bring it on.

Yeah, many will groan, we are familiar with that here. But Disney is a company with exquisit attention to detail, high end production quality, etc. John Carter.......yeah, I'm with you, botched that one they did. But damn they didn't spare the cash doing it. That was too obscure a property I think.

Now if only they'd do the DUNE movies and an MMORPG.