Name unavailable, please choose another.

IceGhost

And that is what most people dislike. I don't want others to resort to clicking my name for group invites and tells.

This may be a viablel solution for you, but not for the majority of players.

Fair enough. I can't speak for everyone and my own initial reservations made me use Tiim on my original server for the reasons you list. Then I realized that I have more enjoyment with something I like than caring about others convenience.

Going forward though I can see this becoming much more common as names are increasingly claimed unless bioware implements an account name system.

Edited by Tim-ONeil

This really needs to be addressed ASAP.

Bioware took over 100 US servers and condensed them into about 10?

When F2P rolls, imagine how many players will be disenfranchised over how diffucult it will be to find a unique name among millions already taken.

Making a name for you character should not be overly challenging. This will drive away new F2P'ers after spending 30 minutes of trying to create a name they find favorable.

Well, that can't be too unique if there are millions of them now are they? That's just the way life goes, I suppose. I do think it would have been better to have a first name and last name system similar to GW1, but I only had to rename one character this last round of mergers, and it was one that didn't shock me as it wasn't a really unique name like I have used before.

People need to get over themselves when they think they are the only ones that are going to come up with a "clever" name and think it's really going to be unique.

BJ

This really needs to be addressed ASAP.

Bioware took over 100 US servers and condensed them into about 10?

When F2P rolls, imagine how many players will be disenfranchised over how diffucult it will be to find a unique name among millions already taken.

Making a name for you character should not be overly challenging. This will drive away new F2P'ers after spending 30 minutes of trying to create a name they find favorable.

I agree with you for the most part but I do not understand how their voting rights are being revoked.

Apparently now that we're all consolidated down to just a few servers, every reasonable name in the world seems to be unavailable. I'm trying to create a bounty hunter and I've tried at least 50 names so far and all of them are unavailable. What the hell do I have to do to get a decent name? I'm about down to using random characters (or using one of those horrendously, god-awful random names from the in-game name generator :( ).

Hit random then tweak it a little so it will be better. Normally those aren't taken.

Never had to change one name in all my years of gaming...

And I have even used the same Prefix throughout that time...

All I do is look at the class and use my prefix and go thru names of people I know and use 3 or 4 letters from their name... easy and simple

And no Im not 12 so I don't try and have names like Bobthetank or Bobatank or Tankhealzorz..

Ok.. I did take my Legacy name from The Pros Edda tho... still.. it sounds like it fits in the SW Universe..

All I do is look at the class and use my prefix and go thru names of people I know and use 3 or 4 letters from their name... easy and simple

And no Im not 12 so I don't try and have names like Bobthetank or Bobatank or Tankhealzorz..

Ok.. I did take my Legacy name from The Pros Edda tho... still.. it sounds like it fits in the SW Universe..

I just googled that and I'm thoroughly intrigued.

i never really had any trouble makin names in this game either. tho im pretty good at makin names Nauvis and Xanaeya bein two of my ppl (both human and for story purposes bro and sis) and my legacy name is Malforce (mal bein short for malicious) "The Malforce Legacy" u kno sounds awesome lol. but for creative names its fun (for me atleast) to take parts of other words hence my malforce name or really just put random letters in common names to make em cool.

ex. Jason

Jaxin

Jaesin

Jayxin

Ja-siin

Jeesun

Jaasen

Jaishen

Jaes

Jeesa

Nosaj

etc.... its quite entertaining

i never really had any trouble makin names in this game either. tho im pretty good at makin names Nauvis and Xanaeya bein two of my ppl (both human and for story purposes bro and sis) and my legacy name is Malforce (mal bein short for malicious) "The Malforce Legacy" u kno sounds awesome lol. but for creative names its fun (for me atleast) to take parts of other words hence my malforce name or really just put random letters in common names to make em cool.

ex. Jason

Jaxin

Jaesin

Jayxin

Ja-siin

Jeesun

Jaasen

Jaishen

Jaes

Jeesa

Nosaj

etc.... its quite entertaining

Heh.. That's what I used for my main.. (yea, was different than what I just described.. but looked at the character I just created and I just spurted it out..)

Malgori - 50 Female Guardian

Apparently now that we're all consolidated down to just a few servers, every reasonable name in the world seems to be unavailable. I'm trying to create a bounty hunter and I've tried at least 50 names so far and all of them are unavailable. What the hell do I have to do to get a decent name? I'm about down to using random characters (or using one of those horrendously, god-awful random names from the in-game name generator :( ).

I seldom have problems getting a good name, try being creative instead of going for Deathdealer or some such drivel.

The problem is your mindset. You are obviously dead set on choosing a name made up of cool sounding English words, or real life names. Be creative, as the characters of the Star Wars universe tend to be. Edited by Kourage

The longest I ever tried was 3 times. My trick is simple: words that aren't based on English. It helps if you know other languages, of course. But if not, think of an accent or do some research. Twi'lek and Chiss names can come from their dictionaries, and because they are multi-word names, tend to be open. Sith names often come from Latin or Greek words - lots of possibilities there too. You can also add suffixes to names, again, either English (like -er or -est) or foreign (like -ishka).

I was trying to create a male human BH. I ended up giving up on it for now. I forgot that apostrophes and dashes can be used, so I might have to go that route, or maybe use an alt code character, but I'd rather not have to for reasons already mentioned in this thread.

try using this. I've used it now and then to help brainstorm some cool star wars names.

http://www.dimfuture.net/starwars/random/generate.php

Bless Chiss names, though I'll miss having their core names on their origin servers - they're a lot more convenient for other people. The merge was the only time this really bugged me, though - I got used to their names, so I wanted something close, you know? Usually I'm pretty good at making something up. Some of the methods I use, with examples I haven't personally used:

• steal a name from an obscure relative (Great-Aunt Generosa!) or someone you vaguely knew at work or in childhood (that girl in high school named Bozena). Someone you have a strong opinion about is probably a bad idea, particularly when you get to the flirt options.
  • character names, possibly an alternate spelling, from something you've read or watched - no, Javert is probably taken, pick a side character like Jehan or something, come on.
  • words in other languages you or someone you know might know, preferably ones that don't refer to genitalia
  • take a word or name you might like for the character and tweak some syllables or letters here or there, maybe smush a couple different words together
  • I also heard of a guy who would hit a few random letters, then insert vowels to get something euphonious

I've been quite lucky creating a few new toons when we recieved the extra slots and got 3 of the names I tried before and couldn't have Hego for my IA Sniper, Mani'bothan for my IA Oprative and Dekota for my Jedi Consular

I had to change only one name when I returned this month because while I was gone the servers were merged. But as I see it, I wasn't paying my sub so I don't think I'm entitled to keep it if someone else wanted to use it. I just added a letter or two to make it a similar name that's pronounced the same way. No big deal.

I finally found an acceptable name. Only took me about another 20-30 tries. :p That Star Wars name generator web site helped, but a large number of those names are taken already as well, just fyi. I found a name in the generator that I liked and then replaced a vowel and miraculously it worked.

Bioware needs to address this situation. Otherwise an influx of F2P players are going to hit a pretty stiff wall of names they can't use.

I'm about down to using random characters (or using one of those horrendously, god-awful random names from the in-game name generator :( ).

Back when I was trying to come up with some names, I actually loaded KOTOR up and used their random name generator because it seemed a lot better than the one they use on this game, lol.