Is Taris even worth saving?

natashina

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taris has two purposes...one is propaganda and another strategic.

Propaganda it became the mess it was due to an attack by a Sith Lord. So reclaiming it fits into the cold war ethos. Remember the war did NOT go hot, at least on Pub side, until well after Taris. There is a distinct difference between cold and hot war prioritization.

Also remember while the Treaty of Coruscant gave the world to the Republic it is technically in Imperial Space. So look at it kinda like the Berlin Airlift. That was as much about just showing the Soviets "see we can do this" and show the West "we do not just write off our territory.". Again propaganda.

Its location in Imperial space also makes it strategically valuable. If the war went "hot" later, and the planet had been successfully rehabbed, it would have been an excellent staging area for attacks on the rest of the Empire.

Edited by Ghisallo

Hmm... if memory serves me right, then the original plague, transmitted trough the Force by the Muur Talisman, only affected humans and a select few other species. That's why Zane's sidekick Gryph didn't turn, despite not being force sensitive.

But, if he would have been bitten, he would have turned, right?

Ok, looking at it from the other end:

If we permit other c-canon sources, then Taris eventualy got resettled at some point during the next 4 millenia. So either the republic got on top of the Rakghouls eventualy, or the problem somehow went away by itself.

Any ideas?

Since you are so adamant to rule out conventional methods ;), what unconventional methods come to mind?

When Karness Muur created the talisman and created a few victims with it, he realized the only way to turn someone into a Rakghoul was via the Talisman. He added a new feature to the talisman so that future Rakghouls could create new victims by biting them or by MERELY SCRATCHING THEM. Future Rakghouls created by the talisman could now create new victims in viral form. The Rakghoul Plague.

Here's a quote from Wookieepedia:

The rakghoul plague or rakghoul disease was a disease engineered by the ancient Sith Lord Karness Muur. Muur, seeking a means to escape death and achieve galactic conquest, forged a Sith amulet that came to be known as the Muur Talisman, an item into which Muur poured his mind, will, and Sith magic. The Muur Talisman's power could almost instantaneously turn any nearby sentient being into a mindless rakghoul, a Sith-spawned mutant subservient to Muur's will. But the talisman's power was not perfect, and it could not transform Force-sensitives or beings belonging to certain non-Human species into rakghouls, and thus Muur designed the rakghoul plague to compensate for this weakness. The virus-like plague, carried by every rakghoul in existence at the time, could be spread to another being by a bite or a scratch from a rakghoul's claw. The victim would then suffer through an incubation period lasting approximately six to forty-eight hours before being transformed into a rakghoul, one fully capable of spreading the Sith-made disease on to further victims.

As for whether Taris should be saved, I say YES!

It would be a way of telling the Sith that the Republic will survive, endure, continue, and rebuild. As Governor Saresh said, it is a symbol and a middle finger to the Sith Empire.

I love Taris. BioWare worked very hard to create this game and its environments for us to enjoy. I love SWTOR. Taris is awesome as a devastated cityscape. I wondered for 10 years to Taris and the people of the "Promised Land" after KoTOR. SWTOR answered my questions beautifully and I'm grateful to BioWare because of it.

Edited by Darth_Krushya
more info

old thread i know, but still.

Should Taris be saved? no.

It's a toxic diseased graveyard of twisted metal and hordes of rakghouls, it would take an effort far beyond the Republic to clean the planet up, it would take more than a few hundred years get the planet into some sort of order. The first thing that would need doing is doing a through scan of the entire planet in full detail. Locate the biggest rakghoul dens, then find a way to deliver a poison to the rakghoul lairs and to every rakghoul on the planet by launching and detonating poison bombs into the atmosphere that dissolves within 72 hours of use, its highly adaptive and extremely persistent, enough to wipe out every rakghoul and kill off anything rakghoul like very quickly, like a fresh scrach with rakghoul disease in it, the disease is quickly killed off and the flesh around the wound is also destroyed in the same manner.

once the rakghouls are gone, animal control will be needed, but more importantly the whole planets detailed scan will help point out what is buried where and how to get it out, this would require a number of capital ships to lift such large heavy junk out of its resting place, it would also require manual labour on the planets surface to dig around the partly buried rubble. there would need to be a place to cut up and burn down the rubble and turn it into new material for future construction at a later date. but thats for one tiny area, for the whole planet, not even the republic fleets in their entirity can cover an entire planet full of junk, it would require hundreds of millions of manual labour types to help get it freed as well, and this is forgetting for amount of time that it could take in centuries.

now unless you got something like that planned, it's a waste of time thinking about Taris. There is no way Taris will be back, so it is more a propaganda piece for Saresh, and she knew it for what it was as soon as she saw it, being a political creature, an opportunity like this she wouldnt pass up to make herself look even better. Not even she is that reckless by going after Taris during the war with the Imperials, even if the planet was in republic hands.

I finally did Taris for the 1st time ever on a imperial character over the weekend, but have done republic Taris more times than I can count. I don't understand how we get from Republic Taris to Imperial Taris, all the work you do "turns" the planet around only to find that (a few months???) later the planet has basically fallen to the empire.

It almost makes me feel as if next time I won't want to "save" Taris when I do a republic play through.

Whether it is or isn't "saved" in cannon is irrelevant. Should it be saved? With the threat of the Empire so close? No.

By all means, build a military staging point there, but resettling it when there are no resources there worth speaking of and while funds sent to resettlement are better placed elsewhere is idiotic. While a symbol of hope in the darkness is very poetic and romantic, as well as a moral booster, to spend money to raise a planet from the dust when you have to look after over half a galaxy of civilised worlds is absolutely ridiculous.

Admittedly, the Empire managed to execute a similar project on Vector's home world. However, Vector's home world was not a front line planet, and the Empire doesn't suffer from the same economic factors that plague the Republic, which has been in economic depression since the start of the first war. The Empire also has the nice factor of not having to deal with corrupt politicians who will divert vital funds to their bank accounts, and while Sith Lords are about as bad, they are more likely to want to set up power bases there rather than take money away. Also, it wasn't as bad as Taris as they didn't have the same... fauna.

Honestly, the Republic could have spent the money they used on Taris to buy a new shiny capital ship, and that would be far more useful than a rakghoul infested world which the Empire want to keep barren. Is it suitable for a staging area? Possibly. To resettle? No.

Well, the Republic got the better deal.

Imps invaded Balmora, then lost it to the republic. Reps got the weapon and droid factorys.

Reps trying to rebuild Taris, then lost it to the empire. Imps got swamps and rakghouls.

Not a good deal for the empire.

Also, instead of wasting any Troops on Taris, why did the empire not simply bomb the fck out of the planet, Malak-style?

Considering that in the time of the Galactic Civil War it's pretty much back to normal...

That's Legends canon, though. For all we now, in future novels/movies/whatever, it could still be a swampy ruin swarming with rakghouls.

Anyway, I just thought it was awesome that they included the planet. From the Republic's point of view, if it could be rebuilt, it might be a great staging area for an assault on Sith space depending on the accuracy of the in-game map. It would also be great for propaganda. That's a big "if" for this timeline, though. At this point it just stands as a testament to the Republic's incompetence (I'm looking at you, Saresh!).

Edited by BradTheImpaler

Looking back after having played both sides seems like the wrong approach since hintsight is always 20/20. From the republic's perspective it makes sense to rebuild it, that story happens still during the cold war, the republic needs a symbol of hope that they can regrow and so they take this world that was ruined by the sith centuries ago. And it worked as one can clearly see when looking at what Governor Seresh becomes later in the game, that this project get her redeemed and opened her career to new heights after her time there.

Then comes the empire, that story happens after the republic side, it is far closer to the end of the cold war, and thus it is firing the flames of war up without breaking the Treaty of Coruscant, so it makes sense for the Empire to ruin the republics efforts there to break their spirit before the new offensive even starts. Without the cold war. the empire wouldn't have bothered with Taris... but probaly neither would have the republic. Taris was for both faction just a politcal tool, nothing more and I liked that, so I am glad it is in the game!

Also, instead of wasting any Troops on Taris, why did the empire not simply bomb the fck out of the planet, Malak-style?

Propaganda. Why not make the Republic throw lots more good soldiers and equipment into the grinder? That way you not only deny them Taris but also make them pay in people and money. Many senators will see that as proof the Republic shouldn't have tried to rebuild - and it's not quite as aggressive as taking in a fleet to burn the place. Dissension in enemy ranks, major losses, lowered morale.

Bombing is effective but it's also over after that. One hit instead of a slow decline.