GS or Sniper

AvarVren

i know they are mirrors but here is my problem and thus question to those who have leveled to 50... I normally play ranged physical dps in mmos (rangers, hunter, archer, etc). Natural GS/Sniper appeal to my playstyle. I like the animations and skills of the sniper over the GS but only leveled both classes in the teens. Problem is I have a problem killing republic players and npcs. Call me a boyscout but I dont play evil classes and have an issue playing imps despite light side option. So my question is will I enjoy the GS playstyle at higher levels.? Wish i could betray to the republic as a sniper!!

in my opinion the gs' iconic moves are way cooler the - nutkick for example. for me it also makes more sense running arround, two futuristic recolvers pulled while shooting evrithing with a flurry of bolts, than doing the same thing with a sniper rifle. so you probably are going to get uesed to.

gunslingers are the coolest guys (and girls) the galaxy has ever seen :cool:

Lol, I completely understand your good sided preference. I myself cannot get past the welch/english accents that the imps have.

A few things that I advise you to consider concerning the Gunslinger.

1. You will be great at it or terrible at it. After leveling most of the other classes, GS is hands down the hardest to play. This conclusion is of course arguable, however the GS class does require a bit of finesse. It is not a face roll class.

2. GS = Hunter, ranger etc....maaaybe. Don't let all of the abilities that end with "shot" confuse you. You have Sharpshooter, Saboteur, and Dirty fighting specs. If I had to do a WoW class comparison (please dont kill me fanboys) it would look like something like this:

Sharpshooter = Fire/arcane mage, possibly MM hunter. Good burst damage, but must be in cover to use most of your dmg rotation. Your essentially a turret, and you will have to master when to and when not to move in and out of cover.

Saboteur = Destruction warlock...maybe. I have not tried it yet and I have only seen one GS on our server use it well. Sab revolves around alot of AoE dmg. You should probably not listen to me at all in regards to sabotuer :D.

Dirty Fighting = Shadow priest/Affliction warlock. Dots, dots, and more dots and ability called "wounding shots" which pretty much equals drain life/soul drain or whatever. By far the most mobile of the GS specs, you can do most of your ability's out of cover.

3. Story. BW gives you plenty of chances to mack on the ladies and be smart *****. You get some pretty cool companions and your smuggler story is not bad. Sadly, our ship is pretty ugly in comparison to the others. It looks like the Ebon Hawk and the Millenium falcon got together for one night stand and crapped something out 9 months later. /takescover

4. Your place in the world. Welcome the least played class in the game. Don't be discouraged, this is your secret weapon, especially if your a good GS. Your spot in operations is an almost guarentee...if your good. PvP, no one takes you seriously; that is until the entire team zergs/***** you because you have been head shoting them the entire match.

I think that is about it. I have huge love/hate relationship with my GS. Everytime I re-roll a FoTM classes I always end back with my GS. It's fun and challenging, I hope this rant helps!:D

Thanks all for the help in making my decision. SWTOR is difficult because all the classes are appealing to me. My main is a Sent only 45 but I keep "needing" to get backed to my ranged roots. I think GS/Sniper is where its at for me. I cant stand the look of the commando's big cannon... Doesnt seem to be any other class that is "physical" damage ranged...

Thanks all for the help in making my decision. SWTOR is difficult because all the classes are appealing to me. My main is a Sent only 45 but I keep "needing" to get backed to my ranged roots. I think GS/Sniper is where its at for me. I cant stand the look of the commando's big cannon... Doesnt seem to be any other class that is "physical" damage ranged...

If your looking at both repub and imp, merc (the imp version of the commando) is an option. swings 2 blasters much like the GS, but is a healing/DPS class like the commando. Don't let they hybrid fool ya...a full fledged DPS merc puts out numbers that only a few classes can compete with.

Not sure if you knew (and hasn't been brought up yet), but the GS and the Sniper are identical classes with different look, gear, and story (and of course diff fractions). So performance is the same.looks and story/background are going to be the real deal maker, along with fraction of course. what made the choice for me was im just a fan of the dual guns. i ran merc on imp side instead of a commando for that reason, and just couldn't get into my sniper for the same reason. so for me it's gunslinger (plus i've already ran the Agent story on sith side with my Operative).

I played both to 50. Basically identical marksman spec.

If you personally have major issues with attacking Reps/Jedi, then Sniper isn't probably a good choice. I had the same issue when playing my Jedi Knight as I'm supposed to constantly jump in and kill some random mob and kill 'em all. At least I could play a Dark Jedi and it didn't feel as "wrong".

For the sniper, I played her as being a loyal employee to the Empire (not the DS and not the Sith .. only the Empire). The story was quite interesting (better than GS, IMO) and for the most part I didn't have too many issues killing Reps using that attitude.

I still feel my identical spec Sniper hits harder/better then my GunSlinger, though. Might not be in actuality (never did stat examinations) but it definitely feels that way too me.

i know they are mirrors but here is my problem and thus question to those who have leveled to 50... I normally play ranged physical dps in mmos (rangers, hunter, archer, etc). Natural GS/Sniper appeal to my playstyle. I like the animations and skills of the sniper over the GS but only leveled both classes in the teens. Problem is I have a problem killing republic players and npcs. Call me a boyscout but I dont play evil classes and have an issue playing imps despite light side option. So my question is will I enjoy the GS playstyle at higher levels.? Wish i could betray to the republic as a sniper!!

Gunslinger mainhand 80% damage / offhand 30% damage 80+30=110% damage

(Gunslingers offhand recieves -30% acc)

Sniper 100% dps mainhand (100% acc)

Brief Gunslinger has 10% more damage but has a -30% chance 30% of his damage will miss.

Gunslinger MM focus on ACC and exp = big hits= more consistant against a wide range of classes

Sniper MM focuse Surge and power = bigger hits = great against light armor

Not a big diffrance, their both fun, they have to be geared a bit differant but one in the same aswell. Slinger I feel has better animation = quicker shots but thats just a opinion. IA story wins hands down.

Edited by IronScarlet

I find the Gunslinger better in the animations then a Sniper.

Shooting someone with 7 bullets per second really does the trick for me.

Its also awesome to have two different gun collors.

The main difference between GS and Sniper is Dual Wielding.

While Sniper Have only one weapon and one Damage output. Gunslinger`s damage is a sum of MH and OH that calculated separately. Thus MH can hit and OH can miss..

The average damage is the same for Sniper and GS, but if Gunslinger is lucky and both MH and OH have a max hit, such hit will result in little more damage than Sniper can do.

The problem with OH is that it have a way less accuracy than MH.. around 80% if MH accuracy is 100..

And one more inconvenience due to dual weild is that in WZ hits are recorded separately aswell. So for Sniper it is a much easier to get a 5K crit medal. (5K for sniper is equal to 4.5K+0.5K for Gunslinger.)

• 1 month later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.