The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Got a low lvl consular

stuga

you can choose to either play as a sage or a shadow

http://www.swtor.com/holonet/classes/jedi-consular/sage

http://www.swtor.com/holonet/classes/jedi-consular/shadow

The sage can heal or do damage from a distance.

The shadow can become invisible and sneak around, and fights in close combat. He/she can also assume the role of the tank in order to keep the attention of ennemies on him/herself so that the other members of the group can heal and do damage.

Be aware that once you choose your advanced class the choice is final, and you cannot change (you'll have to create a new character).

Edited by Oggthebase

Well, I I have played both, and I really enjoy them both. It really all comes down to your play style. Do you want to be a caster, who sits in the back of the battlefield and throw spells around, while also healing his/her teammates and throwing defenses onto them (just fyi, the sage never really uses their lightsaber, except maybe to finish an enemy off, otherwise your lightsaber attacks collect dust as a sage), oh and also as a Sage you will likely be in charge of maintaining CC in groups since Sages have a big picture view of the fight and have the most CC especially if they trait right. Or do you want to be stealthy, sneaking into the middle of the fight and backstabbing people, or just sneaking past a group of mobs altogether, meleeing, and tanking?

Just know this, as a Sage 99.9% of the time you get in a group, they will expect YOU to heal, but that's no problem for me, I love healing. I have played a healer as my main in every MMO I have played. But if you are the healer, and the group dies, be prepared to be blamed, because apparently it's always your fault. Not the tanks, who couldn't hold aggro, or the over-eager dps who started the fight before a plan was made, it will be your fault haha. But Sage is a great class. And as a Shadow, most groups will take you just for some extra DPS. So which role would you prefer to fill? The caster/healer, or the melee tank/DPS?

Oh and one other thing. Your Force (resource). As a Sage, you get at least 400 added to your Force pool, and can top it off with another 100 if you pick a certain skill in your skill tree, making your total force pool 600, so you don't usually have any issues with running out of force unless you are healing in a long fight. As a Shadow, you don't get any extra force unless you spec the right skill in your skill tree, which only adds 10,making your total pool 110 at most. But shadows have a few skills in their tree that make their force regen rate better, so while you may have less force, you regen it faster.

Edited by DunderMiff

Have a Shadow going now and I have a Sith Sorceror (sage equivalent) and really enjoy the mechanics of both. I don't think you can go wrong on your choice, but as others said the two routes are pretty distinct. The question is mostly whether you want to cast/heal or tank/dps. Edited by Nilmot

I play both as well. the real key is in the difference. I find that my Sage is very "regular" with her process...casts the same spells the same way for DPS. Healing is a bit more involved, but the sage feels much more simplified in the process then my shadow.

My shadow has a much more complex rotation and movement requirements that make him a bit more enjoyable to DPS with. Of course, ultimately, you will probably end up doing their secondary role as well be it healing or tanking...it just happens....those roles are needed in groups, and you get tired of being part of the DPS sitting there waiting for a healer or tank to show up. So you have to ask yourself...Do you prefer to sit back and heal, or be up front tanking?

I had a shadow going up through Coruscant and I decided to restart and go with Sage. Reason being is right before deciding to go Consular I had a Jedi Knight and one thing that really bugged me is the knight seemed to have no understanding of the force, all the moves were a variation on whacking someone with your lightsaber. That's fun and all but I wanted to be more force oriented. Initially picked Shadow because the double bladed saber is straight up bad a, but found myself mainly whacking people again. Sage is fun because with the increased force pool you can pretty much go at it with no worries. Also went with the Balance skill tree (damage) which is quite fun as well, lifting up the entire room and picking off foes one by one.

Only thing I would say against sage though is it sort of seems like the antithesis of the Knight, where you never use your lightsaber. Even when melee enemies swarm you it seems more effective to use telekinesis than double slash. Shadow is a bit more balanced

I can't say anything about the Sage but I absotely love the Shadow - in my case an outstanding damage dealer, but still with some tactical finesse. This blend is what I love, fast deadly, tactically superior (well not over a sage, but over most others). If you like a ultra light, fast melee type, slippery like a weasel, and yet with sharp fangs, shows up wherever they are least expected, and is able to take control over the fight, you're gonna like shadow. Edited by Rabenschwinge

As others have said, it depends on your playstyle.

Sage is a ranged DPS or Healer, Shadow is Melee DPS or Tank, so if you prefer to stand at distance and do your work, Sage is for you. If, (like me) you prefer to get in their face and hit them from melee range, Shadow is the way to go.

I have both at 50 and its worth to go true there story line.

At the moment Shadow can bring much more fun, till he can dps, tank and hide, (and even heal up a bit) by the way, its fare from the other DPS, tank classes (knight is 100% better dps and tank, the con with him, that he can't restart the fight , but most of the time, he don't even want to , ))

What you should think about that most of the skills, abilities of Sage are channeling - so he/she has zero mobility till he/she using them (if you thinking about a range class, like you can kite with it, forget about Sage)

story line is good, try it for sure!

Roll both of them (its 5 hours of game play till lvl 10) and have a try , ) then start what you liked better , ) You should try them its way to subjective what suits you.

Edited by LuciferinDNA