Companions 101: Kaliyo Djannis

CourtneyWoods

It's tough to make a character like Kailyo, I think congratulations are definitely in order.

However she never deviates from cruelty, she has no redeeming moments or hint of conscience, she's totally remorseless. Once you get used to the idea that she's 100% psychopath, even her most extreme behaviour loses its bite.

She never pauses or has any consideration where there's a line to cross, she's totally oblivious to social norms so again, where she strides across those lines it is occasionally surprising but only because we (the players) see that there was a line to cross in the first place.

Jaesa suffers from a lot of this too, she gets closer to showing glimpses of her other side but she never has any kind of struggle or crisis of conscience. Once the "dark side" switch is flipped it's as if the rest of their personality is instantly, irrevocably and completely subsumed.

I have a feeling there was a point where Jaesa cries "What have you done to me?!" but I don't remember it clearly.

Edited by Kynesis

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kaliyo... Even my shoot first ask questions later, beat them for answers Agent gets tired of her bloodlust after awhile. It was a happy day when I got Vector, and even happier when I got Lokin. I don't hate Kaliyo, but after spending so much time with her it was refreshing to be able to have a change from her backstabbing ways....

As for who to do next... I'm tossing in a vote for Aric Jorgan or Guss Tuno.

Imp-Side in a couple weeks... Either Lt Pierce or Talos Drellik.

Edited by shadowedwolf

I want trooper story redone or re-imagined. For replayablilty to be able to have JAXO as a companion/Love interest for the trooper. To me this was a missed opportunity. I understand they wanted to convey a LOSS to the story but Jaxo was Just to dam kewl to kill.

I vote to have JAXO returned in anyway thats explainable...

I do agree Guss Tuno is pretty funny.

Edited by ZORG

Kaliyo is a surprisingly great companion for the agent. My agent started out disliking Kaliyo, but as the storyline progresses, the agent gets betrayed by so many people. By the end, Kaliyo's betrayals are almost predictable and about the easiest to handle.

She's arguably the IA's most reliable companion, as her loyalties are only to herself and to whoever is mouthing off the most and keeping things interesting. So, she's the easiest to keep happy, and easiest to tell when she's not. The other IA companions all have more complex agendas or loyalties, and who knows when they will turn on the agent. One day Kaliyo will just be gone, having cleaned out everything useful, and if the agent is lucky, maybe she won't set them up before she goes. The wise agent will just shrug and say they saw it coming.

My favorite Kaliyo moments are probably the letters she writes. She complains about the most inane stuff, which shows how comfortable she's become on the ship. Old Kaliyo would probably kick her *** if she saw what had become of her.

Thanks for this, Courtney and team. As an RPer, reader, and general story lover, I'm excited to see more character info and background, and I look forward to seeing more in the future.

I'm amused, though, to see that Kaliyo was chosen first considering the minor popularity of this particular thread. A bit of Imperial propaganda, no?...

Kal's had her moments, for sure, but I'm definitely in the "I hate Kaliyo" camp and look forward to spacing her. But as one clever person pointed out elsewhere, a good character - i.e. one that is believable - will evoke strong emotion, and she certainly does that. So congratulations to the writers on a well-constructed character.

Bring on more companion 101s! I need something to read.

Incidentally, check out more companion comments in Iamthehoyden's cool thread. Add more. Help out. It was one of the ways Vette was diagnosed with polyphobia ;)

What can i say I LOVE KALIYO. She keeps me on my toes and i never know what she is going to say next. She has saved my butt many times in a fight. Besides being very attractive she is deadly what more can a man want in a woman? I'll have to leave out my favorite moments with her so i don't spoil it for those that haven't been with her that long. I'm just sorry i ran out of story line with her.

My Favorite Kaliyo moment: I'm just running in a base in Taris when she said:

"Reporting in, sir! Rakghoul stole my helmet, sir, scared me white!"

I couldn't stop the laughing for a while.

She isn't my favorite comp, but i haven't any problem with her. I understand what she want.

(my agent isn't my first char.)

granted, she does have some really funny zingers when your running around, but her charm kind-of ends there.

one person mentioned that a poster doesn't understand her if they are not a roleplayer. i am a devout roleplayer and dm.

if she were a player in my game i would tell her to knock the crap off becuase her character portayal is ruining the enjoyment of the game for the "light sided agent", vector, and temple.

others mentioned she is well written, and i believe she is only adequately written.

i beg to differ for two reasons.

1 if she would be well written, she would appeal to the majority of the audience, not a third or a quarter of the player base regarding the agent. the love/hate relationship gap between players and she is to vast to qualify as even ok.

to those who love her, your not recieving some subtle insight that the rest of the majority isn't, she is just written for you and not us.

that said, congrats and i'm very happy you enjoy her.

2 if her job in the story line is supposed to be a femme fatale in terms of the old detective/ spy movies, she fails terrifically. even fans of kaliyo give there sympathies to players who try to romance her. she should be a "dangerous romance" not a "retarded if you even try, and your the idiot who envited her into your ship in the first place romance".

difficult and complex social issues does not automatically make her well written by any means or standard.

she is an awkward fit when shes coupled with the agent in the beginning and stays that way until the end.

an awesome suggestion is if players could trade companions at level 50 with other players.

kaliyo for mako, gault for vette,

pierce for andronikus, khem-val for anything but khem val... maybe just a twi-lek dancer from dromund kaas? :D

I love Kaliyo's attitude; she's easily one of my Top 5 companions in the game. I just wish she was a Bounty Hunter companion, because I'm not enjoying the Agent class that much, and my male Bounty Hunter could use an anarchistic darksider for some romancing action.

I love that Kaliyo agrees with me every time I make fun of the snotty Sith Lords and officers. I also like that she isn't yet another Goody Two-Shoes character. She's one of the only female characters in the game who is down for some casual sexy time. It's pretty obvious where the developers are drawing inspiration from with her (Jack, Mass Effect - she's even bald like Jack), but Jack's awesome and so is Kaliyo.

Kaliyo Djannis re. "Ki Sazan" [seal the Deal]

"Just because she's a Jedi doesn't mean you can't catch something. You know that, right?"

(That made me chuckle as it came right out of "left field" and was so appropriate for the moment.)

I nominate Blizz.

Hi, i would really like to see Xalek. He is very hard to figure out, and you dont get much story with him. I think he is the companion with the least conversations. I would love to see him featured, he is my favorite companion, and i like to know more about him!:rak_03:

i love her comment when entering the cantina on Dramund Kaas.

she reminds me of a girl i lived with for a few years.

we broke up about 5 years ago, and of her X's i am unique in being without felony conviction, without some sexually transmitted disease and alive, all at the same time.

i still love her dearly, and if i walk past her on the street i only nod and not break stride as i walk on.

quite an amazing girl.

When I left her on the ship forever was my favorite moment.

My Favorite companion is Khem Val. He's the best. If I could I'd let Khem Val eat my character and play as Khem Val I would.

A couple points on companions I'd like to talk about. Thank you for giving us them. I really appreciate they are unique. Its probably one of the best parts of SWTOR. Sadly, I have to store my favorite companions when questing to pull out the healer companion, whom I most often hate.

So if you could give every companion the healer abilities and ability to be put into healer mode, dramatically increase the dps, or allow us to have 2 companions out (less likely) I think everyone would enjoy them more.

Sadly, running with your favorite DPS/Tank companion when your a tank or dps yourself, just results in 5 times the amount of deaths. So you either swap at story time, or just suffer the deaths, or you have to have them out before a cut scene because often its hard to switch before the fight starts. I am sure healers probably run DPS and have healer companions just because we kill more efficiently then the dps companions.

I've run every class, seen almost every companion and have really wanted to use some over others. Sadly, its almost always 100% better to be the DPS/tank and have a healer out then use your awesome companion.

Whether it was my Assassin and my love of Khem Val or T7, you are forced to abandon them over the healer or go for the healer bot as you are far better off in the game. Don't get me wrong I like some of the healers and would use them over the DPS, but most of the time the healer is your only viable choice and THAT IS JUST WRONG!

Thanks,

Now fix it. Its easy to fix and been pointed out since BETA as an Easy fix for the developers to make.

THIS. THIS SO MUCH.

As an addendum: the affection gains should probably be adjusted too. I get that your first companions give affection the most slowly since, at the beginning, they're the only ones giving all the love. But later on it's ridiculously easy to have maxed out the later companions, affection wise, while your very first companion sits at the "meh" point of affection. I've yet to have a situation where my first companion was also the first maxed out in affection. They're usually the last.

And another thing! The article specifically mentions how Kaliyo views the other companions on the ship. I've maxed out three PC's, and have a good six others sitting in their 20's and 30's, but seeing the companions interact with, or talk about eachother is rare. I can only think of four accounts (one of which was from watching a youtube video of a scene I wouldn't get due to my PC being the wrong gender) where the companion characters interact/mention the other companions aboard the ship, and how they relate. I would really like to see more of that, a la KOTOR2, and can think of a couple of really interesting interactions/confrontations (Ashara and Xalek come to mind).

I know all I need to know about Lord Scourge the betrayer, but it would at least humor me to know more about him.

But I guess, If I only must pick one... since you rotate, I'll pick a republic one... Kira Carsen sounds interesting, I'm sure most are, but she... well... telling would be a spoiler :)

I would like to know about them all, I need to play all the classes first. I tend to always fall back on the Empire, since I like murdering and stealing better than being the good guy. To me, it somehow feels... wrong to play darkside republic and lightside Empire, except maybe for Smuggler/Bounty hunter. But the game is about choices, so to each their own.

my favorite partner in crime and world domination? Jaesa & Khem Val.... As dark side, Jaesa is so perfect... What guts me with her the most are the lit lightsaber when she has it on her person, but this goes into the catagory of bugs I suppose. This needs a spoiler tag:

When you first meet her and you order her to kill her pathetic former master

Khem Val is also just pure evil, there is no need to say more. If you like killing, they don't come much better than him.

Favorite moment with him:

Devouring Darth Zash

I wouldn't say the first companion is the last to get affection with. For lightside warriors, Vette is perfect. She's funny, witty and all that. For lightside bounty hunters, Mako is very cool. So is Khem Val.

Edited by Fallerup