Will we be able to purchase Cartel Coins with in game credits?

ZORG

Just at the title says:

Will we be able to purchase Cartel Coins with in game credits?

There are games out now with exchanges of earned in game money being used to purchace Gameshop currency to buy the cash shop items. Will it be possible to never ever use real cash to get cash shop items?

I am a Subber and I craft If I use the GTN to get credits I think I should be able to purchase cartel coins with in game credits to use if I choose too.

Edited by ZORG

Highly doubt you could buy Cartel Coins from BW for in-game credits. There could conceivably be a system like in games where other players could buy Cartel Coins and resell them. In this instance BW would make money on sale, whereas first instance is basically them giving away money.

ZORG you should investigate what F2P model actually means. This is 2 headed dragon so to speak. One head makes you believe that all what you get is free, other head actually makes you pay for pretty much all content thats natural for MMO to progress (even fluff that is purely cosmetic).

Cartel coins will NOT be available with in game credits for a simple reason - it was introduced to make money with REAL currency in first place. What they probably will do most likely based on other MMO's is that you could buy CREDITS with cartel coins. You buy cartel coins with real money and trade them to credits but not opposite way.

It may not happen when F2P hits but later on.

If you like fluff and all that sort of things you will 90% chance pay more you are paying now with current subscription fee. In game money shops are not for in game currency but to make people spend their real money on virtual items.

I've yet to play a MMO that let me buy cash shop currency with ingame currency.

Even if they do it and let you buy it with ingame currency it will be made extremely expensive to offset it.

E.g subscribers gets 250 cartel coin stipends a month. All players will be able to purchase 10 cartel coins for 1 million credit + 100 daily commendation.

Can't check right now but I am pretty sure you can buy these crystal things in GW2 with ingame gold. I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to do this in SWTOR (no, not even a single reason).

Yes, you can.

Another example is Lotro. There you can earn shop currency by completing achievements (deeds) and as a reward for some quests.

I've yet to play a MMO that let me buy cash shop currency with ingame currency.

Even if they do it and let you buy it with ingame currency it will be made extremely expensive to offset it.

E.g subscribers gets 250 cartel coin stipends a month. All players will be able to purchase 10 cartel coins for 1 million credit + 100 daily commendation.

EvE online heh.

And indeed GW2 has the option to buy gems with ingame gold I believe.

Tho I very much doubt that would ever happen in swtor. Might be an effective credit drain but credits are waaaay to easy to come by in this game, the credits for (useful number of) cartel coin ratio would have to be insane.

Their whole cashshop system relies on people paying real $$$'s for cartel coins.

So I can't see why they would allow this.

Basically companies do it to entice players to delve into the cash shop even if they had no intention to. Some smiply give some currency away others make it attainable through completing tasks. They give you a little bit so you can buy the cheapest item and get you interested in the shop.

Some games make it purchasable to again suck people in. But in reality, only the most hardcore Koreans are ever going to grind enough ingame stuff to get a decent amount of shop currency. Vast majority will buckle and fork up some cash in the end. 1 gem in Gw2 is like what, 40-60 copper. You need 400gems for the bag slot unlock. Do the math heh.

Edited by aeterno

You can buy Cartel Coins with in game credits. It's call selling your in game credits through a 3rd party for real money. The real money is then funneled into the cartel coin system. Although, I highly doubt it in game credits will be worth any thing once this game goes f2p.

You can buy Cartel Coins with in game credits. It's call selling your in game credits through a 3rd party for real money. The real money is then funneled into the cartel coin system. Although, I highly doubt it in game credits will be worth any thing once this game goes f2p.

And you can play all BW games for free. It's called pirating. Since you evidently don't care about things like TOS. :rolleyes:

Edited by aeterno

I don't know any game where you can do this.

Star Trek Online has a "dilithium exchange" where one can trade dilithium crystals for Zen. Pretty much a stock exchange for currency. Can work both ways too: someone using real cash and selling Zen for a ton of dilithium or someone with dilithium buying a ton of Zen.

Personally I don't like the way STO does it but that's the gist of the concept.

And you can play all BW games for free. It's called pirating. Since you evidently don't care about things like TOS. :rolleyes:

It isn't any more different than selling accounts. In wow, I know a few people who would sell and buy accounts. However, if your going to turn gold selling into a business your should operate in a country where usa/eu have no jurisdiction such as China. That's why there are so many farming gold shops in China. Between most people who sell gold don't care about TOS and pirating is a major business in china.

Edited by Knockerz

Upjers, who operate a great number of browser games, had in their older games the possibility that users could resell their coins to other players for in-game currency, but dropped this model in later games... because the players who invested the most time in the game earned more in-game currency and where therefore less likely to pay real money for coins because they could buy them on the market.

And as nothing of this kind has been indicated, I highly doubt EA will go this route.

Edited by Cran

Doubtful, but as pointed out - Eve, STO, GW2, Lotro & DDO let you earn game currency in-game, and there are probably others. It's really not that far fetched and seems to be working for them. Those are big titles.

But this is EA... I'm sure their f2p matrix will be about as "free" as SOE's model aka the joke of the mmog world.

Well I doubt they would let free players trade credits for cartel coins, that would be self defeating. However, they might have an exchange rate for players who sub (or create a mechanic that imposes how many credits free players can have that effectively puts the exchange rate beyond their reach). That would help entice people to sub since people who are good at playing the GTN could conceivably get sufficient credits to exchange for cartel coins. This would also justify only allowing full access to the GTN by subs.

We will have to wait and see what (if anything) they do along these lines.

There is plenty of precedent for this in other MMOs (EVE, STO, GW2), and there is plenty of precedent for earning coins in game via achievements (LOTRO, DDO).

They could open them up for selling/buying in the GTN, or they could open them to buying only from Bioware as a method to soak credits out of the game and manage inflation. If they did the later, then expect them to cost A LOT of credits. If they do the former then they would run at free market supply/demand, but if they did it this way I think they would need to have a higher GTN commission to discourage speculating and soak credits out of the economy at the same time.

Doubtful, but as pointed out - Eve, STO, GW2, Lotro & DDO let you earn game currency in-game, and there are probably others. It's really not that far fetched and seems to be working for them. Those are big titles.

But this is EA... I'm sure their f2p matrix will be about as "free" as SOE's model aka the joke of the mmog world.

Doesn't all PWE games do this? I only play STO and I haven't powered up CO since PWE took over. But I thought being able to get zen from inside the games is what PWE does.