How to save this game

seektravota

1. Get rid of all the boring mindless grinding thingy like dailies. Gaming is supposed to be fun, not chore!

2. Make more PVP maps. Enhance PVP performance. Literally, that's what interests people.

3. New Content. New Equipment.

4. Player generated content. Learn from Second Life, Star Wars Galaxy.

Not that I disagree with you, but if you actually want bioware to listen to you then you'll need to explain rationally why each of the things you listed will save the game.

For example, I'd love to see much more pvp development, but without doing extensive market research I can't say whether that will save the game or not, only that it will help retain the existing pvpers. If the MMO pvp market is genuinely small then it wont save the game, however if there is a sufficient gap in the market for a AAA MMO with awesome world pvp then maybe it would save the game.

1. Get rid of all the boring mindless grinding thingy like dailies. Gaming is supposed to be fun, not chore!

2. Make more PVP maps. Enhance PVP performance. Literally, that's what interests people.

All of those things would help....... unfortunatly only 3. would sell on the Cashshop. :(

I agree on "2" and "3", but the others? grinding and dailies is just a part of mmorpgs, i haven't played any other mmo where you didn't have the occasional grind or where there were no dailies to get credits/gear. If you take away dailies, how are you going to get credits? that would mean you'd have to 'grind' more flashpoints, grind more mats to craete gear/mods to sell on the GTN.

and on the player generated content, no, just no, you want a star wars version of second life? really? now that 'game' (if you can even call it that) is a chore. and swg, nah, look what happened there, i haven't played it, but i read multiple posts on this forum that it wasn't the best thing round, something about bounty missions and griefing :p

I agree on "2" and "3", but the others? grinding and dailies is just a part of mmorpgs, i haven't played any other mmo where you didn't have the occasional grind or where there were no dailies to get credits/gear. If you take away dailies, how are you going to get credits? that would mean you'd have to 'grind' more flashpoints, grind more mats to craete gear/mods to sell on the GTN.

and on the player generated content, no, just no, you want a star wars version of second life? really? now that 'game' (if you can even call it that) is a chore. and swg, nah, look what happened there, i haven't played it, but i read multiple posts on this forum that it wasn't the best thing round, something about bounty missions and griefing :p

Just because other MMORPGs have grinding doesn't justify SWTOR to adopt grinding because grinding is actually what's bad about a MMORPG and we should find ways to get rid of it.

I think we should also learn from DoTA and League of Legends, these games engage players in a quite different way than grinding.

Just because other MMORPGs have grinding doesn't justify SWTOR to adopt grinding because grinding is actually what's bad about a MMORPG and we should find ways to get rid of it.

I think we should also learn from DoTA and League of Legends, these games engage players in a quite different way than grinding.

There is always grinding in one form or another. Dailies are just a way of trying to make it more fun while you do it. Anything you have to do repeatedly is technical a grind. What would be good is far more dailies and to cap how many you can so you can chop and change which ones you do. But this ofc takes time, and tbh I already have 3 planets where I can go do dailies to vary it a bit.

Edited by Jetronin

I agree that certain things might be done different, like dynamic question n such, but you lost me when you compared an mmorpg with Dota and LoL, i've been playing dota since it came out as a wc3 mod and played HoN from beta till now, and in no way can those games be considered an mmorpg.

Dailys weren't always a MMORPG staple, and this was no bad thing.

They were stuck in as a way to try an occupy players between expansions, however they've become something insidious and detrimental IMO.

They are, if you will, a themepark way of trying to be sandbox, but failing on every count.

I agree that certain things might be done different, like dynamic question n such

But these are still grind, and even worse there grind where you can be unlucky and miss/not find it in time. At least if I have a mission I pick up its always there when I want it.

Not sure everyone wants more PvP maps. At the moment warzones have turned PvP into fight clubing with no distinction between factions and you have as much chance of fighting over a star ship as you do entertaining Hutts in Huttball. With the later a clear example of how meaningless PvP has become to the open world its a mini game of foorball.

I would much rather see a reason to PvP, a proper galactic conflict and planets to fight over for control which then grant the winning side faction wide buffs or other perks and not to mention control of the planet.

More content is a no brainer but even with new content every 6 weeks this needs to be repeatable and that makes sence with daily quests. I would also hope that the content is solo or 2+ friendly. Make it so its worth outfitting those companions and perhaps more importantly so you have something to do when your waiting for group finder or an op to run. I'm all for pick up groups or group play but all it takes is someone to ask for a skip and everyone is avoiding trash and skiping the story. At least with solo play you can do it your own speed and play how you want. Not impossible in group play but who wants to be the guy saying come on guys I want to watch the story! Be prepared for a vote kick.

1. Get rid of all the boring mindless grinding thingy like dailies. Gaming is supposed to be fun, not chore!Grinding = more time spent in game = more $$$ for Bioware/EA. So, this will never happen.

2. Make more PVP maps. Enhance PVP performance. Literally, that's what interests people. I assume you mean WZs. Yes, I suppose that would make some people happy.

3. New Content. New Equipment. This is... common sense. I'm pretty sure they already know that players want new content and equipment. In fact, I think they are releasing a new operation in 1.4 for that very reason.

4. Player generated content. Learn from Second Life, Star Wars Galaxy.Player generated content is great but this game is modeled after other themepark MMOs like WoW and Rift. Player generated content isn't really a huge facet of gameplay in those games so I don't see Swtor doing this.

Your points are either: opinion, common sense, or have been talked about a million times. Fail thread fails.

There is always grinding in one form or another. Dailies are just a way of trying to make it more fun while you do it. Anything you have to do repeatedly is technical a grind. What would be good is far more dailies and to cap how many you can so you can chop and change which ones you do. But this ofc takes time, and tbh I already have 3 planets where I can go do dailies to vary it a bit.

Ya. Anything that becomes a chore isn't fun anymore and is not gaming. So there must be some sort of mechanism we can do to make it fun.

Your points are either: opinion, common sense, or have been talked about a million times. Fail thread fails.

100% agree.

More PvP focus will please PvPers, but holds no interest for PvErs. The only way to determine if it actually will help is to look at hard data from in-game (data which they never release). If the data says PvP is popular then more PvP focus is justified. But PvPers all love to say "focus more on PvP and this game will thrive!" about every MMO ever. It has always appeared to me that PvPers are the most fickle of gamers and are usually the first to run to the new flavor of the month. Then again, that's opinion based on anecdotal evidence, not empirical evidence. But the bottom line is that more PvP focus will not DEFINITELY save any game. That's bogus: more PvP MIGHT help, but that decision should (and will) be made based on hard evidence, not PvPers claiming that if they are catered to then the game will enter a renassaince.

New content? No brainer. Of COURSE gamers want more content. Obvious point is obvious.

Player generated content? If the majority of players wanted sandbox, then sandbox would be the standard of MMOs. They don't, and it isn't.

Getting rid of dailies? I agree with this. Dailies suck. Do I have a replacement idea for something that is dynamic and fun that still serves as a time sink (albeit an enjoyable one)? Nope. Then again, I don't get paid a salary to design games. When talking smack about sports stars, people love to say "Well, I'd like to see YOU try to quarterback in the NFL!" My response is always "Well, I don't get paid $10 million a year to quarterback. If I DID get paid $10 million to quarterback, I darn well better be able to do it." If you're a game designed with a massively valuable IP like Star Wars, you better be able to design a game like a champ. "Well, every MMO developer does dailies" doesn't cut it. You want to be better than average? Then do something different than average. I don't know what that is, but I am NOT a game designer. All I can tell you is that as a player, dailies are boring. When I get to the stage where I have nothing much to do but dailies, that's when I start seriously looking at a different game.

Edited by Eldrenath

It makes sense but... grinding = more time spent in the game? Yes and no. The "No" comes from people getting bored and stopped playing. I'm not against spending more time, but this game should really makes the time spent in the game more fun rather than chore. Because literally if you do those dailies over and over and be able to do them at the back of your head and you still hundreds of coms away and endless hours away from getting some equipment that's a meaningless chore and I would ask why am I doing this? you know. There's gotta be some ways to make it fun.

So don't do them. In fact, don't even recognize they even exist. What about those individuals who actually enjoy doing the dailys... Not saying that I do but I am sure there are some out there who do.

What interests some players do not interest others. A lot of players do not like PvP but on the other hand, a lot of players do. 1.4 will be bringing in an entire new WZ so they are making more PvP maps. Enhancing PvP performance is still up in the air since BW can only do so much with the Hero engine.

MakeB, Terror from beyond...?

Otherwise, decent suggestions there.

I'm serious because what sells this game is the star wars universe, players all like that. the reason I mention second life and SWG (of course they have their shortcomings) is because the level of player generated content players can create. imagine if we can create our own town or space station where people get to fly their defenders there and hang out or simply a cafe owned by a guild or player-designed in-game logo or bikes or drinks etc, that bring a lot more fun. And makes gaming more than just one simple line: attack creeps and get loot. You know people can work together in the game to construct their life, estate and social network.

Not sure everyone wants more PvP maps. At the moment warzones have turned PvP into fight clubing with no distinction between factions and you have as much chance of fighting over a star ship as you do entertaining Hutts in Huttball. With the later a clear example of how meaningless PvP has become to the open world its a mini game of foorball.

I would much rather see a reason to PvP, a proper galactic conflict and planets to fight over for control which then grant the winning side faction wide buffs or other perks and not to mention control of the planet.

More content is a no brainer but even with new content every 6 weeks this needs to be repeatable and that makes sence with daily quests. I would also hope that the content is solo or 2+ friendly. Make it so its worth outfitting those companions and perhaps more importantly so you have something to do when your waiting for group finder or an op to run. I'm all for pick up groups or group play but all it takes is someone to ask for a skip and everyone is avoiding trash and skiping the story. At least with solo play you can do it your own speed and play how you want. Not impossible in group play but who wants to be the guy saying come on guys I want to watch the story! Be prepared for a vote kick.

Actually, borrowing from popular games like DoTA and League of Legends, why don't they make a PVP map like that? Not only you get to fight against other players, but let you lead bot controlled creeps through the battlefield against the enemy, it actually kinda combines PVP with Star Wars Battlefront!

I mean this game is sitting on the greatest story universe ever created, there's a lot we can do about it.

100% agree.

More PvP focus will please PvPers, but holds no interest for PvErs. The only way to determine if it actually will help is to look at hard data from in-game (data which they never release). If the data says PvP is popular then more PvP focus is justified. But PvPers all love to say "focus more on PvP and this game will thrive!" about every MMO ever. It has always appeared to me that PvPers are the most fickle of gamers and are usually the first to run to the new flavor of the month. Then again, that's opinion based on anecdotal evidence, not empirical evidence. But the bottom line is that more PvP focus will not DEFINITELY save any game. That's bogus: more PvP MIGHT help, but that decision should (and will) be made based on hard evidence, not PvPers claiming that if they are catered to then the game will enter a renassaince.

New content? No brainer. Of COURSE gamers want more content. Obvious point is obvious.

Player generated content? If the majority of players wanted sandbox, then sandbox would be the standard of MMOs. They don't, and it isn't.

Getting rid of dailies? I agree with this. Dailies suck. Do I have a replacement idea for something that is dynamic and fun that still serves as a time sink (albeit an enjoyable one)? Nope. Then again, I don't get paid a salary to design games. When talking smack about sports stars, people love to say "Well, I'd like to see YOU try to quarterback in the NFL!" My response is always "Well, I don't get paid $10 million a year to quarterback. If I DID get paid $10 million to quarterback, I darn well better be able to do it." If you're a game designed with a massively valuable IP like Star Wars, you better be able to design a game like a champ. "Well, every MMO developer does dailies" doesn't cut it. You want to be better than average? Then do something different than average. I don't know what that is, but I am NOT a game designer. All I can tell you is that as a player, dailies are boring. When I get to the stage where I have nothing much to do but dailies, that's when I start seriously looking at a different game.

if they make a DoTA style map that'll combine both PVP and PVE to it!!!